If Versace Does it Without a Tie....

sail7seas

Heaven help us all if Versace significantly influences men's formal wear! There's no telling what we'll wind up looking like. LOL

Probably more interesting than the herd of penguins look of the last 100 years. :rolleyes:

Her post referred to the incident being 40 years ago.

Perhaps some things have changed in all these years? Hopefully..... ? :)

I think there's a lot of 'it's all about me' these days and many have absolutely no interest what anyone thinks of them. The old social reinforcements don't work in the same way these days, IMO.

My point is also that SOMEtimes "High Fashion" is really just stupidity - in color!

IF and I repeat IF hubby could afford a Versace or any other high falutin expensive tuxedo such as those being mentioned, we would definitely not be on a Cruise Line of any type. We would instead be either purchasing our own Yacht or chartering one instead to go where we want and when we want and dressing the way we want, when and where we want.

Enough of the foolishness being bantered back and forth please....

Give me my cheaper clothing line, whether it be WalMart/Target/Lord and Taylor/Versace or whatever and let me enjoy my cruise without the fears generated by threads such as this one as to what I would be looked down upon if I am or am not wearing:eek:

As far as I am concerned, a gentleman or a lady can come to the MDR on any night, formal or casual in something made of burlap and IF it looks like a tux or a formal gown or the accepted mode of dress for that evening then more power to them... and believe me, I have seen clothing made of Toilet Paper and or Duct Tape that even I am jealous of.

I'm on a cruise of my choice and am not going to police anyone for their choice/or lack of for their cruise wear during it.

Joanie

IF and I repeat IF hubby could afford a Versace or any other high falutin expensive tuxedo such as those being mentioned, we would definitely not be on a Cruise Line of any type. We would instead be either purchasing our own Yacht or chartering one instead to go where we want and when we want and dressing the way we want, when and where we want.

Give me my cheaper clothing line, whether it be WalMart/Target/Lord and Taylor/Versace or whatever and let me enjoy my cruise without the fears generated by threads such as this one as to what I would be looked down upon if I am or am not wearing:eek:

As far as I am concerned, a gentleman or a lady can come to the MDR on any night, formal or casual in something made of burlap and IF it looks like a tux or a formal gown or the accepted mode of dress for that evening then more power to them... and believe me, I have seen clothing made of Toilet Paper and or Duct Tape that even I am jealous of.

I'm on a cruise of my choice and am not going to police anyone for their choice/or lack of for their cruise wear during it.

Joanie

Very well said Joanie :)

By the way , would you happen to have a picture of this Toilet paper and duct tape ensemble ? Sounds interesting.. :) *LOL*

I wonder if they make swimwear in this *LOL*

Unscientific observation, but i think there are more people reacting to thinking someone might be "looking down on them" than there are people passing any judgement about what others are wearing.

For the record; There is no "fashion police". When others assume someone is "looking down on them" they themselves might require the attitude adjustment to see where this perceived anxiety is coming from.

Yes, i am traveling with my long, black velvet gown and DH has packed his tux. Should I assume people will think "we are putting on airs" by our own formal night dress choices? Just sayin'. Lighten up.

My point is also that SOMEtimes "High Fashion" is really just stupidity - in color!

Having a daughter in the industry I get to hear and see more than I care to about what the new "thing" is .

Some of it just looks plain ridicuolus . Others look great on the Anorexic Barbie Dolls that walk down the runway. But on a normal sized person.......not so much.

Unscientific observation, but i think there are more people reacting to thinking someone might be "looking down on them" than there are people passing any judgement about what others are wearing.

For the record; There is no "fashion police". When others assume someone is "looking down on them" they themselves might require the attitude adjustment to see where this perceived anxiety is coming from.

Yes, i am traveling with my long, black velvet gown and DH has packed his tux. Should I assume people will think "we are putting on airs" by our own formal night dress choices? Just sayin'. Lighten up.

And there is no Mafia in America either , is there Mr. Hoover?

I mentioned J. Edgar Hoover in a thread about women's clothing. So technically I did stay on topic . *LOL*

Very well said Joanie :)

By the way , would you happen to have a picture of this Toilet paper and duct tape ensemble ? Sounds interesting.. :) *LOL*

I wonder if they make swimwear in this *LOL*

Here is a link to see just 2 of the dresses. I think they are gorgeous!! http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/297/papercoutureqf9.jpg/

And one a young lady made for her prom out of duct tape: http://chuuurls.deviantart.com/art/Duct-Tape-Dress-84939730

I cannot find any Tuxes, but I've seen them on news reports.

And here you can see some expensive Burlap articles such as a $1400.00 Burlap Dress. http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2009/04/have_you_bought_your_1400_burl.html

And this one is an Evening dress made for a lady who wore it to the Grammys in 2009!!!

"I wore a BURLAP dress to the 51st Grammy Awards!

img_0587-152x300.jpg What a better way to promote “inner beauty” than wear a burlap…. dress on the red carpet at the Grammy Awards? This lovely burlap dress was created by Danielle Friesen from Calgary, Alberta in two days. I was fitted for the dress Wednesday night and picked up the dress Friday morning at 7AM on the way to the airport (she was up all night working on the dress). The dress was stunning, and I’ve never received so many compliments, the burlap was a success and got the message out that I wanted to send! Thanks Danielle for this piece of art!"

The thing is, there is to much emphasis placed by some on the boards, not just here on the HAL boards, but on others as well, about what we should wear and what we should not.

I believe that some of the statements made sound extremely elitists and snobby and that is not what we should be about. We should be about helping our fellow cruisers and giving answers about their questions without adding what we ourselves would prefer to see others in. I hope that makes sense.

Keep in mind that I would never pay the amount that the designers ask for their clothing, even the burlap ones. I'd buy a much cheaper dress and spend hubby's money on something much more important like a Shore Excursion or souvenir for someone.

Joanie

Having a daughter in the industry I get to hear and see more than I care to about what the new "thing" is .

Some of it just looks plain ridicuolus . Others look great on the Anorexic Barbie Dolls that walk down the runway. But on a normal sized person.......not so much.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!! And for what it's worth I'm seldom critical of what anybody wears on "Formal" nights because it is none of my business. The exception I make is when people [ mostly men] come in in shorts.Tshirt with hairy-legs showing AND [ BIG and] the behavior matches the extreme in clothing. Another cruiseline -but formal night -2 tables -FOOD fight and they began throwing things at each other and these were NOT kids [ Frankly I've never seen kids ACT that way!]

I know many people HERE are simply wondering "What constitutes 'formal' and is 'dressy' the same thing -or CAN it be the same; what I wear to Church as an example" I have seen people turned away from MDR but usually it was somebody pushing someone else's buttons and the dining room guys were right/justified. Most people enjoy dressing up of an evening with everybody else; its a party atmosphere. Some don't -and that's OK too. But behave like adults. ;)

The thing is, there is to much emphasis placed by some on the boards, not just here on the HAL boards, but on others as well, about what we should wear and what we should not.

With today's fabrics one can easily find comfortable, lightweight, packable and affordable formal night dinner wear. For men and women. There is no need for the hysteria, anxiety, name-calling and endless distress this topic engenders. Rent it if you don't want to bring it. HAL makes it easy and enjoyable to honor this sea time tradition.

snip>

:D Versace Suit - probably start at about $2,000

Yacht - Millions :eek:

But I do get your point. ;)

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!! And for what it's worth I'm seldom critical of what anybody wears on "Formal" nights because it is none of my business. The exception I make is when people [ mostly men] come in in shorts.Tshirt with hairy-legs showing AND [ BIG and] the behavior matches the extreme in clothing. Another cruiseline -but formal night -2 tables -FOOD fight and they began throwing things at each other and these were NOT kids [ Frankly I've never seen kids ACT that way!]

I know many people HERE are simply wondering "What constitutes 'formal' and is 'dressy' the same thing -or CAN it be the same; what I wear to Church as an example" I have seen people turned away from MDR but usually it was somebody pushing someone else's buttons and the dining room guys were right/justified. Most people enjoy dressing up of an evening with everybody else; its a party atmosphere. Some don't -and that's OK too. But behave like adults. ;)

I agree

i am not a lover of Formal nights and formal wear. But I certainly don't approve of shorts and bathing suits and ripped dirty clothes and flip flops either. Some people on these boards think those are the only 2 options.

Joanie

:confused:

The title of the thread is Versace and Ties....... where does that imply someone judging another or looking down on someone?

It was a lighthearted reference to a fashion statement made by a well known designer concerning formal wear for gentlemen - specifically tie with tuxedo or not?

It would be nice to leave it at exactly what was asked and not infer there was any looking down on anyone.

Tie with tuxedo or not? Where is anyone 'generating fear' in this thread?

Please help me out here...... How does one leap from tie to fear. :confused:

Here is a link to see just 2 of the dresses. I think they are gorgeous!! http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/297/papercoutureqf9.jpg/

And one a young lady made for her prom out of duct tape: http://chuuurls.deviantart.com/art/Duct-Tape-Dress-84939730

I cannot find any Tuxes, but I've seen them on news reports.

And here you can see some expensive Burlap articles such as a $1400.00 Burlap Dress. http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2009/04/have_you_bought_your_1400_burl.html

And this one is an Evening dress made for a lady who wore it to the Grammys in 2009!!!

"I wore a BURLAP dress to the 51st Grammy Awards!

img_0587-152x300.jpg What a better way to promote “inner beauty” than wear a burlap…. dress on the red carpet at the Grammy Awards? This lovely burlap dress was created by Danielle Friesen from Calgary, Alberta in two days. I was fitted for the dress Wednesday night and picked up the dress Friday morning at 7AM on the way to the airport (she was up all night working on the dress). The dress was stunning, and I’ve never received so many compliments, the burlap was a success and got the message out that I wanted to send! Thanks Danielle for this piece of art!"

I believe that some of the statements made sound extremely elitists and snobby and that is not what we should be about. We should be about helping our fellow cruisers and giving answers about their questions without adding what we ourselves would prefer to see others in. I hope that makes sense.

Keep in mind that I would never pay the amount that the designers ask for their clothing, even the burlap ones. I'd buy a much cheaper dress and spend hubby's money on something much more important like a Shore Excursion or souvenir for someone.

Joanie

Very nice outfits :)

Obviously the toilet paper and burlap gown at the Grammys were professionally made by designers . But the duct tape dress by that high school girl is kind of pretty.

If I didn't know it was made of duct tape and was actually looking to see it . I would never had known.

Funny thing is , I could actually picture my oldest DD making a dress like this *LOL*

I would be down the basement looking for duct tape for something swearing there were 2 big rolls down here .....and then a week later on prom night down the stairs she would come in a dress . *LOL* In my house this could actually happen :)

:confused:

The title of the thread is Versace and Ties....... where does that imply someone judging another or looking down on someone?

It was a lighthearted reference to a fashion statement made by a well known designer concerning formal wear for gentlemen - specifically tie with tuxedo or not?

It would be nice to leave it at exactly what was asked and not infer there was any looking down on anyone.

Tie with tuxedo or not? Where is anyone 'generating fear' in this thread?

Please help me out here...... How does one leap from tie to fear. :confused:

While it might have started off as a light hearted jab at a designer or whatever, it like any other hot topic has started to take off with what I see as becoming a different aspect....

So many people have there own ideas of what is and is not appropriate and they feel that many of us who choose HAL to cruise on are elitist and snobby and that we'd look down on them in their less than designer clothing etc.

Someone mentioned that one lady wore the same black slacks to dinner every night with a different top. I took exception to that because while it might look like the same slacks, could the lady have done what I do and bring along 2 or 3 of the same style and color of slacks or even used the laundry every day??

I think the reason I took this thread to reply to is the title of the thread alone. I think it sounds elitist and I do know from a couple of emails that I've received over the last few days that new HAL posters are feeling as if they should stay in their staterooms and eat there for their entire cruise.

Cruise Critic is to help people, not make them feel like they do not belong and chose the wrong cruise line....... Let's get real people please and make the cruising experience for everyone enjoyable.

My entire point in responding to this thread is the paragraph above.

Joanie

<snip>

Someone mentioned that one lady wore the same black slacks to dinner every night with a different top. I took exception to that because while it might look like the same slacks, could the lady have done what I do and bring along 2 or 3 of the same style and color of slacks or even used the laundry every day??

I also wear black slacks with tops for some casual nights and well could bring two pair of the same slacks. No one could know I was wearing 'pair two' and 'pair one' was out at the ship's laundry being cleaned.

[/b]

I think the reason I took this thread to reply to is the title of the thread alone. I think it sounds elitist and I do know from a couple of emails that I've received over the last few days that new HAL posters are feeling as if they should stay in their staterooms and eat there for their entire cruise.

<snip>

Joanie

Elitist Title......

It was a segment of a nationally broadcast, network morning show. How pedestrian and ordinary can you get? If one finds the morning shows 'snobbish and/or elitist' beats me how to even respond. :eek:

Where is the concept of personal responsibility and ownership for one's own perceptions? No one can put anyone else "down" without their own permission.

A Jungian psychotherapist would have a field day with projection threads like this and the existential anxiety they generate in people who feel they must "stay in their cabin" and may I add in making you their surrogate messenger try and inflict guilt trips on others at the same time.

Let's see if we can drop this name-calling, martyrdom and finger-pointing at the mere mention of "formal night". It carries no more weight than being requested to wear proper bathing attire in the pools.

It is what it is - formal night. Wear formal clothes and enjoy yourself and be done with it. Just like you will wear a bathing suit in the pool and be done with this equally anxiety producing "dress guideline". Or stay out of the pool on your own choice.

Where is the concept of personal responsibility and ownership for one's own perceptions? No one can put anyone else "down" without their own permission.

A Jungian psychotherapist would have a field day with projection threads like this and the existential anxiety they generate in people who feel they must "stay in their cabin" and may I add in making you their surrogate messenger try and inflict guilt trips on others at the same time.

Let's see if we can drop this name-calling, martyrdom and finger-pointing at the mere mention of "formal night". It carries no more weight than being requested to wear proper bathing attire in the pools.

It is what it is - formal night. Wear formal clothes and enjoy yourself and be done with it. Just like you will wear a bathing suit in the pool and be done with this equally anxiety producing "dress guideline". Or stay out of the pool on your own choice.

Well, it isn't going to happen (for me)! ;) Smart dress casual attire on ALL nights, (including formal)! :)

Sticking with the subject matter and trying to ignore the rest, not wearing a tie with a tux is not new! It all depends on the type of formal shirt you wear, such as a mandarin banded collar shirt, which was mentioned by one of the posters in this thread.

connieformal3.jpg

Archived