Collaspible lunch bags

bigtoeswim'n

Hi Folks: Just was wondering if folks here have links to what their collaspible lunchbags look like for the POC lunches. I bought one at Wal-Mart but wonder if it what others have successfully used. I plan to take quart-size sandwhich bags that are waterproof (have sliding zipper).

I think I read someone said they had a waterproof wine bag too.

We leave next month, Dec 2011. I plan to make final plans for excursions over T-day weekend as we will be having a very quiet one this year as empty nesters and the shortness of the holiday.

Hope someone has time to reply. So excited but also very overwhelmed too.

Hi Folks: Just was wondering if folks here have links to what their collaspible lunchbags look like for the POC lunches. I bought one at Wal-Mart but wonder if it what others have successfully used. I plan to take quart-size sandwhich bags that are waterproof (have sliding zipper).

We leave next month' date=' Dec 2011. I plan to make final plans for excursions over T-day weekend as we will be having a very quiet one this year as empty nesters and the shortness of the holiday.

Hope someone has time to reply. So excited but also very overwhelmed too.[/quote']

This is a serious question folks. Guess everyone is busy getting ready for T-Day. YUM. Sailing in about 3 weeks.

I picked up probably what you did. Just want to throw in some sandwiches, fruit, cookies for on the bus trips since not sure where they will stop and for how long. I'm jealous. Have to wait until April.:( Please do a big review when you get back.:cool: Have a fun trip!

We buy or lunches on the islands, it helps support them.

Yes. I see your point. But I read on CC that VNP doesn't have food nearby and also I have read the long lines and crowds at popular POC makes eating a time-consuming activity.

I've been researching this collasible lunchbag on line myself. I just wondering if someone really likes something they found.

well. tttyl

You might want to rethink bringing food off the ship in Hawaiian ports. I know on the two Hawaiian cruises I went on (as well as for other itineraries), taking off non-sealed foods is strictly prohibited due to the possibility of endangering the ecology or agricultural system. And what I mean by sealed is not the use of ziplock bags, but factory-sealed foods (nutritional or energy bars, for example). Bottles of water and soda are okay.

I remember seeing large trashcans in the cruise terminals for the security personnel to toss the contraband fruits, etc.

You might want to rethink bringing food off the ship in Hawaiian ports. I know on the two Hawaiian cruises I went on (as well as for other itineraries)' date=' taking off non-sealed foods is strictly prohibited due to the possibility of endangering the ecology or agricultural system. And what I mean by sealed is not the use of ziplock bags, but factory-sealed foods (nutritional or energy bars, for example). Bottles of water and soda are okay.

I remember seeing large trashcans in the cruise terminals for the security personnel to toss the contraband fruits, etc.[/quote']

They are going on Pride of America, which never leaves Hawaii's waters and is supplied solely in Hawaii. She is the one and only exception to the extremely strict (and necessary) agricultural laws. Caveat: That exception could be changed at any time, so don't rely on past reports for current regulations on PoA.

Although it is still not encouraged, passengers on PoA have been allowed to bring fresh food off the ship. One reason it's not encouraged is that so many people pack it, don't store it properly for the tropical climate, eat it anyway, and then blame the cruise line for "bad food." Another reason is that many passengers expect the crew/galley to pack them formal box lunches, which the cruise line feels interferes with their already busy onboard duties.

In any case, taking fresh food off the ship in Hawaii is strictly forbidden for all cruise lines/ships that stop at any non-Hawaii ports at any time, which is all ships except PoA.

beachchick

Although it is still not encouraged, passengers on PoA have been allowed to bring fresh food off the ship. One reason it's not encouraged is that so many people pack it, don't store it properly for the tropical climate, eat it anyway, and then blame the cruise line for "bad food." Another reason is that many passengers expect the crew/galley to pack them formal box lunches, which the cruise line feels interferes with their already busy onboard duties.

Very good ppint!

We leave next month' date=' Dec 2011. I plan to make final plans for excursions over T-day weekend as we will be having a very quiet one this year as empty nesters and the shortness of the holiday.

Hope someone has time to reply. So excited but also very overwhelmed too.[/quote']

I would hope that you are renting a car and going on your own. If you are doing that then just stop and get a lunch from one of the restaurants in either Hilo or Kona (not sure where you will be landing). There are also Super Walmarts in both places that will allow you to get any supplies that you need.

On a separate point we at at the lodge at VNP and had a great meal. This was five or six years ago but I assume that it is still open.

I used a big insulated bag as my "carry on" on the plane and then my beach bag for our POA trip, it had two pockets, one side insulated and the other not.

We rented a car on each island

I did not bring food on or off the ship, but I did fill my refillable water bottles on ship and brought zip lock bags of ice to keep my water cool in the insulated side and my beach towels and sunscreen in the other side

We did stop at local stands and ate fresh fruit and lots of dried fruits also.

We also stopped at a few different BBQ places and had "plate" meals.

I had read that there was no food at VNP so we stopped before hand and picked up sandwiches and kept them in my bag!

Archived