Do cruise prices lower at the Pier?

LarryF

We are cruising on the Golden Princess this Sunday and have a inside guarantee. We were assigned an inside room a couple of months ago, but we are still eligible for another possible upgrade. Long story short, I spoke with Princess today and have not received an upgrade, but the ship is only 50% full for this sailing! I also checked to see if the pricing for an oceanview or balcony cabin has gone down, but the prices for these catagories are still more than double what we paid for the inside. My question is if the ship is still only 50% full when we board on Sunday, do you think we be upgrade or at least be able to buy and upgrade for a more reasonable price?? I think this will be the first time in 12 cruises that the ship was not sold out!

My friend is on the Star Princess right now. Her cruise wasn't sold out also, in fact, it was quite empty. She upgraded to a suite about 6 wks. in advance of sailing and didn't get any kind of discount.

I have never heard of Princess upgrading (for money or for free) at the pier. Maybe someone else can help you with that part of your question.

That's what I've found too, Suzie. We've received paid upgrades at the pier with RCI, but never with Princess. For every sailing we've been on with them, they have a convenient little plastic, pre-printed sign, "This sailing is full to capacity and there are no cabins available for changes or upgrades." or something similar to that.

Maybe someone else has a different experience with Princess?[/B]

LarryF, I just checked cabin availability for your cruise and there are very few cabins left in any catagory. Only gty available for insides and very very few for the outside/balcony cabins.

All the insides are at very low prices, $383.40pp, and all balcony cabins are still high priced at $1600+pp.

You may still be lucky and get upgraded last minute, I know some get them the day before, good luck and happy cruising.

Kim

I've only sailed Princess and each time I have noticed a sign saying no upgrades available or ship sold out or some such wording. I don't know if this is policy, or if it is true that the ships were sold out. Good luck on a last-minute upgrade!! It would make sense to upgrade pax to higher category unbooked cabins just for goodwill.

Thanks everyone for you replies! We leave for San Juan tomorrow!!

I'm really anxious to hear about what happened at the pier. We are sailing on the Island Princess on May7th and I have the same question you had. So what happened? Good news, I hope!

Thank you,

Cindy

Archived