red sea magic cruise

Hi Keith. When you say "Lay on coaches" I assume you mean Thompsons organised tour? then yes they do. They are quite expensive and long days, if you check out the site there is an abundance of info. With Thompson you typically get your tickets about 2 weeks before

does thomson lay on coaches for petra&luxor trips and also im due to go to sharm at end dec i booked through ta when would i expect tickets cheers keith:):)

hi keith :)

Look at this link from Thomson's site and if you click on the ports you are visiting, a selection of the trips Thomson offer will be displayed - there could be more available in the Destinations Guide once you get on board but this will give you an idea.

http://www.thomson.co.uk/cruise/ports-of-call/red-sea.html

And the Petra trip is amazing - didn't do Luxor as I still have a wish to do a Nile cruise but although it's expensive from reports I've read it sounds like quite a stunner too.

Ticket arrival is a bit variable - I would generally say they should be with you 2/3 weeks before departure but sometimes we've had ours much earlier than this. If you haven't received them a couple of weeks out, I'd contact your T.A. Your ticket booklet will also have a description of some of the trips.

Speaking of which, does anyone know anything more about the e-ticket bit? Is it for all bookings, or just for late bookings/tickets on arrival situations and when is it coming in? And does that mean no booklet - shame if so as I love getting the book in my hand - the holiday seems so real then! ;)

Did Red Sea Magic last March - Fabulous cruise. We did Petra with the Thomson organized trip and it was 1st Class, don't think you can do it any other way, whatever it costs a must do, best excursion lunch we have ever had, a very special day.

We also did Cairo - again you are not likely to do this independantly so just do it - a long day but would not have missed it for the world.

Enjoy it.

We did Red Sea Magic last January, and loved every minute of it. Although at that time all the troubles were kicking off and we only managed to do Petra. I agree totally with the above poster who said it was a magical day.! It was a long tiring day but we had a marvellous lunch and good company, and wouldn't have missed it for the world. I think it was £110 each but worth every penny. We didn't get to Cairo or anywhere else in Egypt for that matter because things were too unpredictable that the Foreign Office wouldn't let the ship dock anywhere. Instead we went to Israel and visited Jerusalem and Bethlehem which was an unexpected trip but one I will remember for the rest of my life.! It rained and unfortunately the coaches couldn't get back to the ship because of the flooding so we had an overnight stay in Jerusalem, which again was great. Thomson's really looked after us and I cannot praise them enough. Have a great trip.

You can do Petra by Taxi if you wish - you will need to go ashore on the first day in Aqaba and arrange it in the square near where the port bus stops or go to Wadi Rum Tours in Aqaba and they will do so. It will be cheaper than the organised tour if there are four of you but you will get no hotel lunch. The journey is much quicker by taxi than by coach.

When doing the taxi it is customary to pay on return to the ship if you book a taxi from the rank - the taxi driver may even pay your entrance fee to Petra and you reimburse him when you get back to the port.

The only problem doing it yourself is the fact that you will not have a guide.

The Petra guides are very knowledgeable and will point out important sites and things of interest, ones you would never realise existed. It is not possible to see all of Petra in a day, but our guide told us he had taken us to the most impressive parts. I think we only missed the Monastery - a bit appart from the rest and the High Place of Sacrifice.

Archived