Shopping in Belize

Mishamax

I'm assuming there are some shops near the pier/tender area. Do they accept US dollars or does money have to be changed to Belizian currency?

Also do the shop owners expect haggling or is the price on the item the price you pay?

The shops inside the Tourist Village where the tenders dock do accept US$. I think the prices are pretty well set as many of these are typical cruise port type shops. There is a quite decent flea market just outside the TV gates with native crafts, etc. and better prices than shops in the TV. Some vendors may barter with you a bit, but they aren't like vendors in mexico. They'll take your US$ too.

The shops inside the Tourist Village where the tenders dock do accept US$. I think the prices are pretty well set as many of these are typical cruise port type shops. There is a quite decent flea market just outside the TV gates with native crafts, etc. and better prices than shops in the TV. Some vendors may barter with you a bit, but they aren't like vendors in mexico. They'll take your US$ too.

how safe did you feel going outside of the tourist village?

how safe did you feel going outside of the tourist village?

I've felt very safe. I've wandered outside the TV every time I've crusied to Belize. Yes right at the gates there are excursion hawkers trying to get you to take their excursion or ride in their horse drawn cart. A simple "No thank you" will usually steer them away. You might get one or two who try to persist, but they quickly leave you alone. And they don't bother you at all in the "flea market". SIL and I have walked all over the area directly around the cruise port and over the swing bridge and through downtown Belize City. That said, I have been driven through areas of B.C., not that far from the TV that I would not want to be walking in, nor have any reason to do so.

I've felt very safe. I've wandered outside the TV every time I've crusied to Belize. Yes right at the gates there are excursion hawkers trying to get you to take their excursion or ride in their horse drawn cart. A simple "No thank you" will usually steer them away. You might get one or two who try to persist, but they quickly leave you alone. And they don't bother you at all in the "flea market". SIL and I have walked all over the area directly around the cruise port and over the swing bridge and through downtown Belize City. That said, I have been driven through areas of B.C., not that far from the TV that I would not want to be walking in, nor have any reason to do so.

thanks for your rreply. We'll be there in a few weeks, first time for us and at my age i am a little more careful than I used to be in my "wild" youth! :D

The people in Belize will tell you that the prices are much cheaper outside the gates...and even tell you where to go for the best prices (at least that's what we discovered). However, we were on a tour with a company and they told people on the way back where to go and about the pricing.

When we arrived, we felt bombarded by people trying to get in our face to buy things and we had a 3 year old with us and pretty much made a run for the doors to get into the port where they would leave us alone. This is JMO but I just felt better being inside the port and did my shopping in there were it was hassle free and I felt safer so I wasn't concerned with paying more. :)

The people in Belize will tell you that the prices are much cheaper outside the gates...and even tell you where to go for the best prices (at least that's what we discovered). However, we were on a tour with a company and they told people on the way back where to go and about the pricing.

When we arrived, we felt bombarded by people trying to get in our face to buy things and we had a 3 year old with us and pretty much made a run for the doors to get into the port where they would leave us alone. This is JMO but I just felt better being inside the port and did my shopping in there were it was hassle free and I felt safer so I wasn't concerned with paying more. :)

thank you for your post. This is what I have heard more than once and thought maybe they had changed the way they deal with tourists. Oh well, not a place I want to tour around anyway, we just like to get off the ship stretch our legs and get a a souvenier or 2.;)

We have been to Belize at least five times. On our first trip, knowing nothing, we ventured out of the village to walk into town. Wrong move:mad: We were always surrounded by groups wanting to sell something or asking for money. It is a very poor country and I really feel for these people. I have since then always booked a ship's excursion or gone to Caye Caulker. I did not feel safe and would not do it again even though DH is 6ft+. It was a depressing experience.

I know other areas in Belize are beautiful, but the area surrounding the village is not for me. I do not need to save a few bucks that bad! There are vendors right out of the village (across the street) that are OK as you can always go back into the fenced area.

thank you for your post. This is what I have heard more than once and thought maybe they had changed the way they deal with tourists. Oh well, not a place I want to tour around anyway, we just like to get off the ship stretch our legs and get a a souvenier or 2.;)

Just read that you want to stretch your legs. There are some good shops, one that sells incredible Belizian loomed purses, table runners and other leather goods. Great stuff! There are so many vendors selling the same stuff but it is a good chance to walk around. Our favorite is to have lunch at the Wet Lizard. You cannot miss it! Always love to eat there:)

We have been to Belize at least five times. On our first trip, knowing nothing, we ventured out of the village to walk into town. Wrong move:mad: We were always surrounded by groups wanting to sell something or asking for money. It is a very poor country and I really feel for these people. I have since then always booked a ship's excursion or gone to Caye Caulker. I did not feel safe and would not do it again even though DH is 6ft+. It was a depressing experience.

I know other areas in Belize are beautiful, but the area surrounding the village is not for me. I do not need to save a few bucks that bad! There are vendors right out of the village (across the street) that are OK as you can always go back into the fenced area.

thank you for posting this. I wish more people would realize in today's world, there aren't many places we are truly safe. I always check this out before venturing out on our own. Years ago we were in Jamaica, thinking we were safe, we had a not so nice time trying to get away from the sellers and hand outs etc. One reason why I always turn to Cruise Critic for answers.

Just read that you want to stretch your legs. There are some good shops, one that sells incredible Belizian loomed purses, table runners and other leather goods. Great stuff! There are so many vendors selling the same stuff but it is a good chance to walk around. Our favorite is to have lunch at the Wet Lizard. You cannot miss it! Always love to eat there:)

do you know name of shop (if it has a name..?) that has the hand-loomed purses, etc? or where approx. to look for it? assume it is outside TV?? is it on way or close to Wet Lizard? will be there in 2 wks, definitely would like to find it. great shopping tip! appreciate your help in directing me there -thank you!

Archived