Question for YUKON (Murray)

jasl

Hi Murray, Enjoy your comments which are a great contribution to this board.

My question: We have rented a car in Skagway for June 9th and would like to go to Emerald Lake. Just learned that as Canadians we are not allowed by our border crossing authorities to take a US rental vehicle into Canada. Do you happen to have more info on this???? Seems a strange ruling!!!!! We could, of course, take an organized tour (train, bus, etc) but it is always a greater pleasure to explore on our own and stop where we like. THANKS . . . . . . . . . .

NOPE you won't get the car past the border. My suggestion would be to post on various message boards and hook up with US travelers and split the cost of a rental car. A great way to make new friends. As a last resort- even propose this in the ship. I ended up touring with someone in Ketchikan I met on the ship- had a great time. :)

One more brilliant decision by Canada Customs. The "logic" is that if you're touring Canada you should be renting a car in Canada - that, of course, is impossible in your circumstances, but the law is there anyway. And in a port as small as Skagway/Fraser, the Customs people know all the rental cars.

Murray

Crossing the border is no hassle at all. A long line-up here is 3 cars, and the check is cursory - just have your passport or b/c and photo ID handy. I had to clear a commercial shipment there yesterday and the whole process was less than 10 minutes - cars are more like two minutes.

Murray

p.s. - this is what the road looked like yesterday afternoon - http://www.yukonalaska.com/s_klondike_hwy-0955-700.jpg (flowers are a ways off yet!)

Crossing the border is no hassle at all. A long line-up here is 3 cars, and the check is cursory - just have your passport or b/c and photo ID handy. I had to clear a commercial shipment there yesterday and the whole process was less than 10 minutes - cars are more like two minutes.

Murray

p.s. - this is what the road looked like yesterday afternoon - http://www.yukonalaska.com/s_klondike_hwy-0955-700.jpg (flowers are a ways off yet!)

What a great picture. We remember when we were on that highway on Sept. 2003. Thanks for the picture.

Marilyn

>>Is that a crack in your windshield?? I've heard that all true Alaskans have cracked windshields, LOL.<<

Anyone here who changes their windshield unless there's a huge crack right where the driver looks through just has too much money! :D

Murray

THANKS, Murray and Budget Queen, will have to resort to a share, which would be great. Haven't seen a thread on my sailing and guess I should post one!!

Hope that snow will be all gone when we get there Murray, we see enough of it here, although this year has been very sparse. Been like Spring the past few days. Was in Syracuse last Monday, BQ, we had a great rate on the hotel and found a good price on a nice coat at Carousel. Y'all enjoy your travels. . . . . . .

jasl....no, we are on the Radiance leaving June 25th. I've only found two other people on that sailing so far. Wish we could find others. Here is a link to our roll call in case anyone happens by:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=118431&highlight=Radiance

Murray....I know I've seen this discussed before, but I can't remember what was said. When we take the drive from Skagway to Emerald Lake....Is there any place to get a bite to eat? My husband is a diabetic and has to eat at regular intervals. We will more than likely be on that drive when he will need to eat. So I am wondering if there is any place and how to time it so he doesn't get into trouble.

The only places to eat that are worth mentioning are the Cinnamon Cache and Spirit Lake Lodge, both between Carcross and Emerald Lake (ca. 70 miles from Skagway), so depending on his schedule, you may need to pack some snacks or lunch.

Murray

Max's Mom,

You can have the ship make sandwiches for you to take. Just pack a few ziplocks to pack them in. Take an apple or two out of the buffet line and you are all set. Add a ziplock with ice and throw it it all in a bigger bag.

Yes....Thanks! We always take a collapsable cooler with water and cokes (in case he has a low blood sugar episode). We also try to have some snacks, but having sandwiches made is probably what we should do in Skagway and in Juneau because we have back to back excursions there with no time in between. It will be challenging.

• 1 month later...

Budget Queen,

WHat if one of my co-travellers holds a Japanese driver's license? Is it possible to have the 2 driver's (one canadian, one japanese) be on the insurance form, and me (Canadian) driving cross border? Will that matter?

NOPE you won't get the car past the border. My suggestion would be to post on various message boards and hook up with US travelers and split the cost of a rental car. A great way to make new friends. As a last resort- even propose this in the ship. I ended up touring with someone in Ketchikan I met on the ship- had a great time. :)

artofwar - that's a question that few Customs officers could answer off the top of their head, I expect. I think that if the Japanese citizen (the driver's licence doesn't matter, only the passport) drove across it would be okay, but to be safe, call you closest Canada Customs office and ask.

Murray

It was 44 in Carcross, 34 at the Summit and 40/raining in Skagway. Almost Spring :)

Murray

Hi Yukon,

Ok that is so very cold. San Diegian here. Any chance that the weather will warm up by May 24th, when we are in Skagway? I guess I better take my winter coat!

Pam

Archived