Magic Inaugural cruise

Bassic

It is a big secret but the Magic had a Engine - Generator failure 1 day out of Las Palmas in the Atlantic. We and others felt the shudder when it failed about 3 AM. This is the same type Generator that caused the Splendor fire. We are very Lucky there was no Fire! Note: I am not talking about the side thruster. We came across the ocean on 3 engines...which is no big deal. My source says the Gen is being rapaired a little at a time on board the ship.

That's why they kept powering down between 1:00 am and 6:00 am. Didn't people notice that the Air Conditioning was not working then? Remember tossing those bed covers off because it got warm? Yes they have problems. The parts were loaded on at Freeport. I got to talk to some of the contractors in Galveston when we cleared customs together. We were both staying on board ship.

BTW-The simple reason we could not call at Costa Maya was because they don't have a tug boat. The Magic will require a tug for a while. Don't be surprised if they cancel Grand Cayman this week. Although it is a tender port they need the aft thrusters to keep the ship from drifting. If there is any wind at all I bet the cancel the call.

There are problems on the Magic that few know about.

BTW--my reviews for both the transatlantic and the inaugural are on my blog. I think the link is still in my signature.

No matter what cruise line or ship, I have yet to read a good Inaugural cruise review anywhere. These cruises is when they "try out and weed out" all the problems. Will never sail on one.

This was not an inaugural cruise. This ship sailed for over six months in the Med. It was the first cruise out of Galveston but that in no way makes it an inaugural cruise.

All I see is the OP complaining about a port change. Sorry but that gets no sympathy from me. All you pay for is to get on the ship leave and return to the same port. What happens in the middle is subject to change and change happens all the time.

Much to do about nothing.

They were constantly sweeping the water off the deck, so clearly were aware of the problem, so maybe it's a design fault.

I was on the Magic TA. In my opinion there are several major design faults. The main theatre is way too small, main floor not sloping, upstairs

lots of seats with bad sight lines. The Ocean Plaza stage could only be viewed from about 50 % of the seats. A similar problem in the other bar/stage area deck 5, floor flat and too small. Northern Lights diners were in view of people walking past. My main disappointment (after the much touted Red Frog beer) was the Lani(s) a great concept but the ocean views were blocked by ugly tall hot tubs. Others tubs just yards away. All this being said, none of these prevented me from having a thoroughly enjoyable cruise. Plenty of good food, great entertainment etc.

Will I be on the Breeze TA next year? A good chance, but looks like it's selling out fast.

Archived