West Bay on our own - We did it

SuperTrooper00

I posted this on our cruise review, and thought I would re-post it here...

This was our favorite port of the cruise. I had read and read on this board about different ways to get to West Bay (which we had already decided was a must place for 2 beachgoers). We had finally decided to try the more adventurous and far cheaper mini-bus/water taxi route. If nothing else, I wanted to be able to come back on here and answer questions since so many seem to have questions about it.

All I can say is that if you are considering this option: DO it (with a few conditions).

We actually went to this website, which has been posted on here several times and printed out the info before we left (http://www.roatanisland.net/cruiseship.htm). This was crucial into helping make this easy for us.

We walked out of the tourism village, and down their main street. You do have to say "no" a lot to different taxi drivers, tour co's, shops, etc on your way, but it is harmless and easy. After the first little bit, it dies off. We had to ask a few different people where the Mercado is with the mini-buses, and people were very kind and helpful. Once we got to the MErcado (there are 2, so get to the correct one), we began to ask those around where the mini-bus was. The bus driver eventually walked over and helped walked us to his bus (mini van). We loved this trip. It was hot, humid, and very authentic. We were the only ones on the bus who spoke English, and the only ones who were not native. It was amazing how many people could cram into there. But, we sure loved it. We loved being with the people and attempt to ask them questions in our broken SPanish. We loved seeing the real island. We loved going in their neighborhoods on the way and seeing their life. It was harmless but adventurous. And it was cheap. It costs a tad over $1 a person US to get to West END (not Bay yet). I would have paid 10x that for the experience. Once in West End, its pretty easy. You walk down a sandy road (which is under construction). There are tons of shops, restaurants, and land tourists there. We found the water taxi with ease and jumped on board for the ride to West Bay. The water taxi ride itself was a blast. And it cost $3 a person. So, we spent $4 a person on an awesome adventure to get where it would have costs $17-$22 a person in a taxi. We would do it again in a heartbeat.

Once to the beach, we walked around for a while to find where we wanted to plop down. We had planned on just grabbing a spot on the beach for free, but once we saw the Infinity Bay Resort, we fell in love. We talked the guy down to $20 for a Day Pass, and we were set for the next several hours.

The beach is simply stunning. It is up there with Trunk Bay because of its gorgeous sand, clear water, and easy snorkeling. The snorkeling was very good (make sure and go out until it drops off. Awesome sight).

The chairs at Infinity Bay were empty, so we had that section of beach to ourselves. We brought bug spray with Deet and used it, but not a single bite. It was a tad windy, and that helps with bugs. I would only say this: some on here have said they didn't want to get off the boat because of the bugs. To me, that is crazy. I would easily do everything all over again if we had been eaten alive. It was completely worth it.

We spend the rest of the day in the Infinity pool, at the swim up bar, eating delicious food.

We had planned to take a taxi back just so we could maximize our time on the sand, but after enjoying the bus/water taxi so much, we decided to make it a round trip. After doing it the first time, it was very easy on the way back.

We would love to go back to Roatan on a land vacation and stay at Infinity Bay. They have a beautiful people there, an unbelievable beach, and great food.

The only conditions I would put on doing Roatan this way is that I think you would want to be in decent shape. I am certainly not trying to offend, but a heavier or out of shape person would have a very hard time doing some of those things. It is hot and sweaty in the bus, and very very tight. The walk to the MErcado is a good quarter mile, and the walk to the water taxi is a little rough because its under construction. If you are in fine shape, do it!

This wonderful!!! I am so happy to hear of a cruise shipper with mini bus report and a positive one at that.

I only travel by mini bus and my feet..ok on occasion I take a water taxi but for the most part I walk down the beach to West Bay.

Truly, thank you so much.

Tell me how many on your party?

Thanks for your post. Very interesting and a new perspective of ways to enjoy Roatan. We, too, found this our favorite port when we did the Western Caribbean. We did a private tour guide so different than what you did but I hope posts like yours encourage people to get outside of the man-made, corporate-made areas like Mahogany Bay:)

This wonderful!!! I am so happy to hear of a cruise shipper with mini bus report and a positive one at that.

I only travel by mini bus and my feet..ok on occasion I take a water taxi but for the most part I walk down the beach to West Bay.

Truly, thank you so much.

Tell me how many on your party?

We had only the 2 of us. Great question though as that would make a difference. I think 4 could do it as well, but more than that I could see the locals not being happy that the mini-bus is full. They really do run every 10 minutes. They are everywhere (as you well know).

My wife is not usually the super adventurous type, so I was stoked that she was willing to do it. She has raved about it ever since. She speaks a little bit of SPanish (not much at all) and that helped her feel more comfortable I think. It is honestly very easy to do, and one just has to get out of their comfort zone.

While we were on the bus, I had remembered your comment in a post weeks ago about always being the only white person on there. Well, we were as well, and by their reaction, very few cruisers have ever done it that way. When I told them we were from the ship they gave us a very strange look like, "You are in the wrong part of town, gringo!". We truly loved it and would encourage others to try it.

Indeed they do run every ten minutes...I have seen the guy with a stop watch and a whistle in Coxen Hole...he blows --> bus leaves. It is totally giggle worthy.

Yes, hard not to miss a mini bus that says West End/Coxen Hole on this nose in what looks like house paint. :)

I would agree very few cruise type people hop a local mini bus...not knowing much of the local language, all about comfy zone. Some times when I go down I take small toys and give them to children on the bus.

As you say...it is not difficult just not as easy as getting in a cab at the cruise terminal.

Good on you..and your wife!

Thanks for the info from Coxen Hole!! Excellent. It was info like that that we used in doing a few on-our-own days in the Med. Fantastic.

Unfortunately we will be disembarking at Mahagony Bay this time around. Looks like these buses aren't available from there? We're stuck with cab to West Bay or West End? Or a private drive?

eandj ~ There is a bus that runs past Coxen Hole but it is a long way from convenient, timely or marked..or was not last time I was on it. One would need to switch buses in Coxen Hole.

It would be possible to taxi to Coxen Hole --> Bus to West End --> Water Taxi to West Bay.

Trooper.....good for you guys. It is a breath of fresh air when cruisers have such a wonderful experience on this little island paradise outside of the man-made ripoff known as MB. We have been going back to West Bay for the last 4 years. The friendly people, interesting culture and beautiful beaches and reefs keep sucking us back into the Roatan vortex. Check out VRBO.com for better prices at Infinity Bay (our favorite place on WB).

Thanks for the great idea. We haven't booked anything yet in this port and have been searching the threads like you did for the best fit. This sounds like just the adventure. We did something similar in Mexico many years ago & when on one of the buses in Cancun got to the locals neighborhood & they kicked us off the bus and said we couldn't go any further:eek: Laughed all the way back into town to find a Carlos & Charlies. How boring not to get out and make your own adventures! Thanks, again.

Thanks for the great idea. We haven't booked anything yet in this port and have been searching the threads like you did for the best fit. This sounds like just the adventure. We did something similar in Mexico many years ago & when on one of the buses in Cancun got to the locals neighborhood & they kicked us off the bus and said we couldn't go any further:eek: Laughed all the way back into town to find a Carlos & Charlies. How boring not to get out and make your own adventures! Thanks, again.

With that attitude and spirit, you will do great on this little adventure. I did not get the impression that would happen in Roatan, but if it did, there would be another van coming through before your feet hit the ground.

Also, don't underestimate how much fun the water taxi is. The cruise ship would charge $49 a person and call it an "exciting water adventure". It is very fun, and just a beautiful ride.

On our way back, there were a couple of people paddle-boarding (on the surfboard variety). They were tourists obviously and doing their best to stand up. Our driver got about as close to them as possible (which he didn't have to do). As we passed them, my wife and I looked back to see if they fell and sure enough they did. We both laughed and looked up at the driver who never turned around to survey his practical joke, and he just gave us a huge smile. That smile was a language anyone can speak. :D

We did something similar in Mexico many years ago & when on one of the buses in Cancun got to the locals neighborhood & they kicked us off the bus and said we couldn't go any further:eek:

Thing is this cheap transportation is in place for locals that cannot afford the luxury of a taxi and on cruise day's even the normal taxi's are not providing transportation for local residents and it gets to the point where locals cannot afford to go to town when cruise ships are in town. Is that the adventure memories one wants?

Thing is this cheap transportation is in place for locals that cannot afford the luxury of a taxi and on cruise day's even the normal taxi's are not providing transportation for local residents and it gets to the point where locals cannot afford to go to town when cruise ships are in town. Is that the adventure memories one wants?

I am in no way an expert of Roatan, but I can tell you that there were dozens and dozens of taxis with no one in them. No way it stops locals who want to use them. Secondly, with the amount of mini-buses that run, there was plenty of room for everyone who wanted to ride. Thirdly, the folks on our bus certainly didn't mind us being there, and seemed to enjoy it. Fourthly, our bus driver certainly didn't mind because we tipped him really well.

Finally, the bus driver came to us and told us where his bus was, and the water taxi drivers beg you to use them.

No one should feel bad about using local transportation of any type if they desire to. If more tourists did, they would simply run more buses as it would benefit their economy to do so. Supply and demand works.

I am in no way an expert of Roatan, but I can tell you that there were dozens and dozens of taxis with no one in them. No way it stops locals who want to use them. Secondly, with the amount of mini-buses that run, there was plenty of room for everyone who wanted to ride. Thirdly, the folks on our bus certainly didn't mind us being there, and seemed to enjoy it. Fourthly, our bus driver certainly didn't mind because we tipped him really well.

Finally, the bus driver came to us and told us where his bus was, and the water taxi drivers beg you to use them.

No one should feel bad about using local transportation of any type if they desire to. If more tourists did, they would simply run more buses as it would benefit their economy to do so. Supply and demand works.

Spot on. After researching Roatan the last 4 years on Tripadvisor and Cruisecritic and actually staying in Roatan over 5 weeks, I have come to the conclusion that, while it may be a small inconvinence to some (mostly gringos) while the beaches get a little crowded for a couple of hours when the cruise ships are in, the money is more than welcome by the locals from taxi drivers to waitresses to beach venders. When we visit, I make sure I bring a stack of one dollar bills......a dollar tip to them is like $10 back home. As more and more cruise ships stop here, let's hope the incoming dollars make an positive impact on this island's infrastructure, it's people and the protection of it's most important asset......the most beautiful reef in the Caribbean.

Can I get an AMEN!!

One year when I arrived I walked from the airport to Coxen Hole with my backpack...Ya shoulda seen the look on many a face when the bus door slide open for me...a combination of surprise and humor...the kid at the door got a fair sized tip cause he wrestled my bag in with a smile on his face. By the time I sat down the whole bus was laughing.

Let's face it folks ~ life is what you make of it. I'd never put a local out by taking "their" seat on the bus but think there is room for all ~ especially if one comes along every ten minutes. I actually prefer the interaction with the locals rather than hanging with all of the tourists that are just like me. Especially those who can't wait to judge the motives of others....

Thanks so much for posting about it! We are still thinking about this option, but leaning more toward booking a bus/beach day thing at Tabyana just to make things easier on the kiddos. The last thing I want is to ruin my day with their whining because we tire them out too much with walking and snorkeling and difficulty with bathrooms and so on.

At any rate, I still have a couple questions. 1. Did the mini-bus take american dollars? 2. how long did it take you to get from port to Infinity?

At any rate, I still have a couple questions. 1. Did the mini-bus take american dollars? 2. how long did it take you to get from port to Infinity?

Yes, the mini bus and everyone on the island is more than happy to take American dollars, your rates would be better if you have local currency.

Just in case SuperTrooper doesn't pop back by.

The timing is going to depend on what point you hit the bus schedule and the water taxi schedule..along with how long it takes you to walk to and find the bus stop.

If you don't have to wait for the bus to leave Coxen Hole, if you don't have to wait for the water taxi to fill... if you and your family walk at a decent pace...figure between 60 and 90 minutes.

I will be interested to see if Supertrooper timed it, an what that came to.

Edited by Guest 2000

Really, the collectivos are all over the place and run every few minutes. All you need do is stand by the road and wave down the van. This also goes for taxis.

I don't generally travel via collectivo because it does take more time. When I'm running errands I want to get out and back home as quickly as possible;)

However, the collectivos are a great way to get a sense of the island and also if any of the donut ladies are on board you are in luck;mmm!

Coxen Hole to WE is a straight shot and it's just a walk down the High St. To the water taxi stands. I would suggest you give Half Moon Bay/West End more than a passing glance. The snorkeling is great, there are plenty of dive shops, bars, coffee shop, restaurants. You can snorkel, dive, kayak and the vibe is much more relaxed and authentic than WB (IMHO). BTW, if you are fairly fit, unencumbered by small children the walk along the sea from WE to WB is lovely! The walk also takes you right past Gumbalimba.

Remember to ask if the Mames (mango or apple depending on who you ask) are ripe....my fav. fruit, right up there with black pineapple. Also, if you are in WE Thurs. or Sun. head right at the roundabout, follow your nose to BBQ Keith and some of the best seaside BBQ ever!!!!

Edited by hotcarib
Spelling

Thanks so much for posting about it! We are still thinking about this option, but leaning more toward booking a bus/beach day thing at Tabyana just to make things easier on the kiddos. The last thing I want is to ruin my day with their whining because we tire them out too much with walking and snorkeling and difficulty with bathrooms and so on.

Yes, we paid in US dollars. I think it costs exactly just a few cents over $1 each. We tipped and weren't counting pennies.

I think the mini-bus trip itself took almost 40 minutes. In total, my best memory of the time was...

- 20 minute walk to the Mercado (Market) (we did stop a few times to look at shops)

- 0 minute wait for bus

- 35-40 minute trip to West End

- 5 minute walk to water taxi

- 10 minute water taxi ride

Again, we were enjoying the trip so much that we really didn't think about time. But, that would be my best recollection.

If I remember correctly the mini bus is 22L per person (22.00 HNL =1.16279 USD)

The water taxi is 50L (50.00 HNL = 2.64271 USD) or $3

For reference 1.00 USD= 18.9200 HNL

When the bus was 20L I would give them a dollar and call it done. More often than not now I give them a dollar plus 5L. Course if you are two people you could go with three bucks an call it square or better yet tip as you please. :)

• 1 month later...
Really, the collectivos are all over the place and run every few minutes. All you need do is stand by the road and wave down the van. This also goes for taxis.

I don't generally travel via collectivo because it does take more time. When I'm running errands I want to get out and back home as quickly as possible;)

However, the collectivos are a great way to get a sense of the island and also if any of the donut ladies are on board you are in luck;mmm!

Coxen Hole to WE is a straight shot and it's just a walk down the High St. To the water taxi stands. I would suggest you give Half Moon Bay/West End more than a passing glance. The snorkeling is great, there are plenty of dive shops, bars, coffee shop, restaurants. You can snorkel, dive, kayak and the vibe is much more relaxed and authentic than WB (IMHO). BTW, if you are fairly fit, unencumbered by small children the walk along the sea from WE to WB is lovely! The walk also takes you right past Gumbalimba.

Remember to ask if the Mames (mango or apple depending on who you ask) are ripe....my fav. fruit, right up there with black pineapple. Also, if you are in WE Thurs. or Sun. head right at the roundabout, follow your nose to BBQ Keith and some of the best seaside BBQ ever!!!!

I love the information on this thread! My husband and I love doing things the local way, and I appreciate the information so much! Since this is an old thread, it might be too late to ask additional questions, but I thought I would give it a try. We plan to snorkel at West Bay, but I am intrigued by the suggestion to try West Villlage too. Can you snorkel off the beach in West Village? If so, where exactly? Is it close to the water taxi?

It may be you are asking about the village of West End.

The water taxi runs between West End and West Bay.

Half Moon Bay is close enough to West End to call it West End...the snorkeling is nice there as well cause the reef crosses the mouth of the bay.

If this is not clear let me know..I can give it another go. :)

• 8 months later...

Yeah I found the bus info!

I think we'll be doing this. I know where the Mercado is because we passed it on the way to Fantasy Island one year. So we'll walk up there and catch it. We'll probably just give a 10 spot to the driver, cheap at twice the price and enjoy the local flavor. I speak halting spanish and love to practice.

We loved catching the Jitneys in Jamaica. You see so much! And who cares how long it takes, you're on vacation!:D