Princess Fan on Carnival

AlaskaDay

Never thought it would happen, but our first cruise NOT on Princess is going to be Carnival. Too long between our last and next Princess cruise (a year and one-half) so decided to book a 7 day out of Galveston on the brand new Carnival Magic. We live 30 minutes from the port so no air-fare and very convenient. A great itinerary that goes to Key West and the Bahamas that we are really looking forward, but very apprehensive about the Carnival cruising experience.

Any tips from Princess cruisers that have sailed on Carnival?

Never thought it would happen, but our first cruise NOT on Princess is going to be Carnival. Too long between our last and next Princess cruise (a year and one-half) so decided to book a 7 day out of Galveston on the brand new Carnival Magic. We live 30 minutes from the port so no air-fare and very convenient. A great itinerary that goes to Key West and the Bahamas that we are really looking forward, but very apprehensive about the Carnival cruising experience.

If you're going to try Carnival for the first time, the Magic is the ship to choose. I was just on it and I loved it. It was the first time I could see making a ship my destination. Don't miss the Red Frog Pub - the conch fritters and wings are worth the minimal charge. Have lunch or dinner one day at the Cucina. I only had lunch there, which is no charge, but from what I heard, the dinners are definitely worth the small charge. The Plaza Bar area is a wonderful place to hang out. A little know secret is that there is breakfast and lunch available there at no extra charge. There is even free coffee in the morning. On sea days the sushi bar is turned into a salad bar at lunch time. The piano bar is now non-smoking and a fun place to go at night. The comics at the Punchliner club are generally very funny. The adult serenity area (on Deck 14 if I remember correctly) is nice. If you're on Lido at lunch time and want fresh, made to order food, go to the Mongolian Wok or the Burrito bar. If there is anything else you want to know, just ask.

We live 30 minutes from the port so no air-fare and very convenient.

You will most likely enjoy the cruise. We did a Carnival out of Galveston several years ago on one of their older ships and had a good experience.

Just do not expect it to be exactly like Princess. Try not to compare everything with your past experiences cruising. It will be different, but enjoyable.

A friend of ours was recently on the Magic for a Med cruise and then the TA. His summary:

"Food and Entertainment on the Magic was good as previous Carnival ships. They are reducing food and shows but you can ask for additional food if you want. I gained 8 pounds. The ship is huge and beautiful."

(By the way, which city that is 30 minutes from the port? We are in League City.)

Carnival does a fine job of providing a good cruise or they wouldn't be number one year after year, you can and should have a good time.

It does have a "mass market" feel to some things more so than Princess but if you go in with the understanding that it is not going to be exactly the same you should be fine.

It has always been my opinion that it is more accurate to compare ships to ships than lines to lines, the Magic by all accounts is one of Carnivals better offerings.

I think with it being a 7-day cruise it won't have that booze cruise atmosphere that Carnival has been tagged with over the years.

A few years ago we took all of our "kids" on cruise. Due to everyone's schedule for work/grad school/etc., and the fact it was suppose to be a treat for them (2 BA degrees and 2 MEds), we did Carnival.

Boy was I was surprised. I had sailed Carnival once a year for about 8 years with my dad and my two kids and always thought the food was awful--fruit salad would be canned fruit cocktail for example. But--the food was much better than my husband and I had had 9 months before on the Golden Princess. There was more music activities around the pool and a much livelier disco scene--but this was a cruise out of Miami in late June--so a much younger crowd due to school being out.

Sounds like a great time! We live near the SoCal ports--but I have done the Mexican Riviera cruise one too many times and it is so rough coming home--not that usual Caribbean float trip (unless there is a hurricane near by (also been there, done that.))

We love Princess but we had a great cruise on the Magic in the Med. Of course it will be a slightly different crowd but it should be fine. The bigest problem with the Magic is that there are only 2 small pools for all the people and they tend to be very crowded. There is of course a wonderful water park. We didn't use any of the slides because it was a bit cool in May in the Med. I did do the rope course a few times and played miniture golf. It will be different from a Princess cruise but that always makes it more fun. Enjoy the differences and don't compare the ship to other ships you have been on. Also be forwarned the waiters sing everynight in the dining room.

I don't consider myself to be a Princess cruiser or a Carnival cruiser or any other line's cruiser, although I have sailed on both Princess and Carnival as well as some others.

You will enjoy your cruise, don't sweat it. Of course there are differences, but I think you will learn that the negativity expressed about Carnival by many who have rarely (or never) sailed with them is vastly overblown. It always amuses me when I get into a conversation with someone on a Princess ship about cruise history and watch the physical recoil when I divulge we have enjoyed a number of Carnival cruises (and this has happened on multiple occasions).

A 3 day Bahamas cruise on one of Carnival's older and smallest ships is not comparable to Princess's typically longer voyages I admit, but that is not what you will be doing. Really, you will have a good time.

I have found more often than not cruise lines are more similar than different. Each has their own pros and cons. Food I think is too subjective to even compare cruise lines, but I found them all pretty similar, I found things I did like and some not so much.

Mostly have done 7 days on Carnival, do not see the booze cruise atmosphere at all (only on my cruise to nowhere). Ages I found to be very similar (we sailed same week on both cruise lines in different years). Carnival I think had a bit more activities during the day, more shows, however I found Princess to have better comedians.

I haven't sailed Princess in a while now, really looking forward to sailing again next month. This time though we got a window suite, compared to inside cabins on previous sailings. I think it will be interesting to see if my perspective changes based on my cabin and amenities. Carnival however lacks completely in any type of suite perks.

If you're going to try Carnival for the first time, the Magic is the ship to choose. I was just on it and I loved it...

That's good to know. We live in Texas and since the ships sailing from Galveston are changing and increasing, this is relevant information for us. Next year we'll probably be making a choice between Carnival Magic, RC Mariner of the Seas, and Crown Princess. It'll probably come down to price, because they are all apparently good choices. Our 1 previous experience on Carnival was on Conquest in 2008. Although the service and food were very good, the ship itself seemed worn and a little drab, plus I'm just not into all the silly games. So a newer ship with some nice features might make me consider Carnival again if the price is right.

I could do without the singing in the dining room, but all in all, that's my only negative on the Magic. And it's really only a few minutes. I do traditional dining, but I understand that if you do anytime dining, you can miss it if you want.

Went on Carnival Valor- Had a wonderful time and the ship and staff were awesome-saw a princess ship at Grand Cayman and we were kind of "home sick" LOL-Next cruise was on Princess and it was like "coming home" You will have a great time-but I bet when you get off you will say-That was awesome but it wasnt "Princess" JMHO

Thanks everyone for the tips and words of encouragement. I am beginning to feel better based on the feedback.

Caribill we are in Friendswood. I work in Galveston (see the ships in port all the time and just couldn't wait any longer) DH works in Texas City.

I've been on several Princess cruises, and two on Carnival, one as recently as this past spring. A few observations:

- The decor on Carnival tends to lean a bit towards Vegas-tacky, whereas I find Princess to be a bit more tasteful and elegant. Carnival is more designed for flash than anything else.

- The crowd definitely skews much younger on Carnival, lots of couples and groups in their 20's - 40's primarily.

- Out on the Lido deck on embarkation day (as well as while at sea) with Carnival, I was a bit deafened at the obtrusively high volume of the music. It seemed excessive to me, to the point where you couldn't barely be heard to have a conversation. It could have been turned down several notches and still lent itself to a party type atmosphere.

- Carnival has a Serenity area on their ships that is an adults-only area on the back deck of the ship with two hot tubs, slightly cushier lounges than the regular deck chairs, and bar service. There's no charge for it, and it was a nice place to hang out, but there's very little in the way of shaded seating, and I didn't find it to be anywhere near as nice as the Sanctuary area on Princess.

- Food and staff I would say are about comparable between the two, though that's going to be a highly subjective experience.

- The standard cabins on Carnival are actually a bit larger than those I've sailed in on Princess, and I actually found the showers on Carnival to be far less tight of a squeeze than on Princess. Carnival's beds were also very comfy, and I liked the reading lights attached to the headboard as well.

- I play Bingo on occasion, and I found that the Bingo on Carnival was WAY more expensive, and for far less appealing cash prizes than those on either Princess or Royal Caribbean. I likely wouldn't play it on there again.

- I did like that Carnival had a lot of little window seats and cubbies to sit down on around the ship. Nice if you don't necessarily want to do anything but people watch, or watch the ocean go by, but you don't want to sit outside either.

So, there are a few things at least. Hope you have fun! :)

Don't go into the experience comparing it to Princess. If you do, you'll end up disappointed. You do have an advantage in that you're going on Carnival's newest ship and it's a longer voyage, so the experience should be better. Expect a livelier crowd, younger passenger mix, and rowdier atmosphere (hairy chest contest at the pool, for example). But IMHO, when it comes to a head-on comparison between the two, there is none. Carnival is definitely a mass market experience and Princess is a cut above.

Archived