Chair Hog - Am I one??

There is much material on these boards about the dreaded and despised Chair Hog. As I read some of it, I begin to wonder could I, myself, be one of the despised? Even worse, is it possible that my dear and beloved wife could be among their number?

Here is our story: We usually spend most of the Days at Sea around the pool area. We actually prefer a little shade, so we rarely sit right next to the pool. Most of the time we have towels, camera, sunscreen, etc. with us. We find our spot and park ourselves and our stuff. Occaisionaly we may venture to the bar, or to the buffet for a snack, or to make a "pit stop". Sometimes one of us stays; sometimes not. We may get up from our seats to watch the Belly Flop competition or the Horse Races. During these excursions we often leave our stuff on the chairs. We always return to our chairs and are never gone for more than a few minutes to maybe 20 min. If we are going to be gone for longer than a few minutes (Say, to eat lunch or go to the gym/spa) we move our stuff withus or take back to the cabin.

Here is the delimma: Exactly how long can a person be absent from the chair before he becomes a Hog? Is it 5 seconds? Five minutes? Half Hour? One hour? Could it be that how far your fanny is from the chair is a factor? If I am not IN the chair, but I am standing a few feet away for 20 minutes watching activities, am I Hogging? If distance from the chair is a factor, what is the regulation distance?

I humbly ask for help since we will be sailing again in less than 60 days and I must know if I should take a paper bag to wear on my head. AKA: The Unknown Chair Hog.;)

I do not think that you are a chair hog. Many people do the exact same thing that you do, we often get up to watch the pool games or go to the restroom. I think that if you are going to get a massage or are going to be gone for lunch for an extended amount of time then you should take your things with you. I think that you are fine. Don't worry!!!!!

I think if you will be gone for over half hour you should take your things and allow someone else to use the chair. This does not count if you have some one in your party stay with the things. Just my opinion.

To me, the "Ultimate" chair hog is one that wakes up at the crack of dawn on a sea day and stakes out their claim to a lounge chair in the best possible position on the pool deck......they put down their beach bag and/or towels ( making sure they are tucked securely under the slats of the chair so that they do not blow away, thus making this chair once again "available" ) then they either hit the Windjammer for a very leisurely 45 minute breakfast, or head back to the cabin for some more shut eye....resting comfortably with the knowledge that their chair is "saved" for them, whenever they wish to return to it.

If you leave your chair to get a drink, see a pool side show, or run back to your cabin to get something....I would not label you a chair hog!

Happy Cruising! :D

I would say, stray no more than 1000 feet, and be gone no more than 30 minutes, unless your SO is with you, than double the distance and time. :)

Therefore, always take a spool of twine and egg timer.

No seriously, I think the problem is more with "INTENT"

Those that wake at the crack of dawn, and deposit their "stuff" on the chair then go back for Brekkie and a snooze (as the previous posters have stated) are the ones we're most teed off with.

Now, we want to know if you wear jean-shorts and flip flops to dinner, if you tip well, and whether or not your kids are angels ! !! :)

Well, we may actually be gone more than 20 min. sometimes, but never for hours. I have no problem with violating the 1000 foot rule. If we pick a chair somewhere amidship, we can never venture 1000 feet in either direction without a life jacket. On the smaller ships such as the Majesty, it would be virtually impossible to be a Hog, especially if you have your spouse and get the double distance allowance. I am going to play it safe and observe a 75 foot distance. I have already measured off some twine to tie to my ankle.

Now about the cut of jeans at dinner. I have a Tux that I usually wear on formal nights, but if I am not able to lose another 10 lbs. or so before June, I may have to break out the cut-offs.;)

I'm not a sun-worshipper so I'm rarely out on the deck at peak times. However, if/when I am, I usually observe line-of-sight rules. If I can't see my chair, then I take things with me...and that includes to the facilities.

Then again, I usually do the Solarium at night when it's much quieter anyways...

As for how long? I would imagine that if you are gone for more than 15-20 minutes then you shouldn't be upset if your things are not where you left them. If you aren't there, why would you not want to let someone else use the limited chairs? I've never understood the chair hog mentality...

Chairs that are hogged are fairly easy to spot. When you only see a tucked towel and no one around for hours. I for one could care less about upsetting a chair hog. I have on more than one occassion taken it upon myself to start walking and picking up as many towels as I can find and returning them to an attendant. Where you get into trouble with people is if you just move the towels on the chairs where you want to sit. It is pretty obvious to them who moved their towels, but if you take the time to pick up about 50 towels you can sit anywhere you want, and with the applause of the other passengers looking for a place to enjoy their vacation.

If I have to leave the pool area for more than a bathroom break or a drink, I will take my things with me. I would never consider keeping a chair from someone else to go and sit and eat a meal. I think that is too much time and I think that is a tad overboard and inconsiderate. At lunch time you can't get in line, find a table , and eat at the Windjammer in less than 30 minutes. If you really think about it your looking at at least 45 min. to an hour that someone else can be enjoying the sun and the surf..........Just be a little more considerate or next time you get on the ship I'm going to take all the golf balls and putters back to my cabin. That way when I decide I want to go play putt-putt I can rest assured that I will be able to, at the misfortune of others, but alas.

I would say, stray no more than 1000 feet, and be gone no more than 30 minutes, unless your SO is with you, than double the distance and time. :)

Therefore, always take a spool of twine and egg timer.

No seriously, I think the problem is more with "INTENT"

Those that wake at the crack of dawn, and deposit their "stuff" on the chair then go back for Brekkie and a snooze (as the previous posters have stated) are the ones we're most teed off with.

Now, we want to know if you wear jean-shorts and flip flops to dinner, if you tip well, and whether or not your kids are angels ! !! :)

Depending on the ship, 1000 ft. could put you over the bow.....;)

I think intent definatley goes to the early risers who chose poolside who get back way later and those that disappear for hours for what ever reason or for those whose friends hold the chairs and the intendeds never show up. Those to me are the big three.

If you ever got up in the middle of the night to put a towel on a deck chair, you might be a chair hog.

If you ever put fake vomit on a deck chair to keep others off of it, you might be a chair hog.

If you ever went on a cruise with an "inflate-a-friend" with the intent of leaving it on a deck chair to hold it for you, you might be a chair hog. (other uses for an inflate-a-friend do not qualify ;) )

If you ever claimed a chair next to someone from nebraska because you thought a bikini might be involved, you might be a chair hog. ( I had to throw that in) (actually this probably makes you a redneck)

Any others? (sorry Mr. Foxworthy)

-Monte

If you ever got up in the middle of the night to put a towel on a deck chair, you might be a chair hog.

If you ever put fake vomit on a deck chair to keep others off of it, you might be a chair hog.

If you ever went on a cruise with an "inflate-a-friend" with the intent of leaving it on a deck chair to hold it for you, you might be a chair hog.

Any others? (sorry Mr. Foxworthy)

-Monte

ROTFLOL!!! :D :D :D

Archived