Chair Hog - Am I one??

EBFURR:

Well if you DON'T lose the the extra 10 lbs., it is the general concessus (sp?) of this board NOT to wear cut-offs but rather a track suit, and as long as it's a designer label. :)

1corona4U:

exactly ! ! ! !

MBISSON:

LOL! ! ! :) I already have the inflate-a-doll (don't ask), but, ahem, err, where exactly do you buy your "fake barf" !?!?!

Jeff A:

Hey that's great! :) from the sounds of it, you likely have the place to yourselves at that time, eh?

Oh and by the way, would you mind saving me a couple of chairs too??

Okay, but when I'm swimming - sometimes for over half an hour if I can do laps - please leave my towel, cover-up and shoes next to the chair so I can find it. Actually, I don't really need the chair except for storage. Do you think they'll ever put little "cubbies" by the pool for swimmers' things? Nancy

EBFURR:

I already have the inflate-a-doll (don't ask), but, ahem, err, where exactly do you buy your "fake barf" !?!?!

QUOTE]

We don't want anymore info about the infalte-a-friend!!! LOL

The fake barf can be had at any decent novelity store.

-M

Okay, but when I'm swimming - sometimes for over half an hour if I can do laps - please leave my towel, cover-up and shoes next to the chair so I can find it. Actually, I don't really need the chair except for storage. Do you think they'll ever put little "cubbies" by the pool for swimmers' things? Nancy

LAPS? :eek:

Wow ! What ship are we talking about here?

CKROBYN:

I don't think NANCYQUILTS was referring to laps in the pool. I believe she probable meant laps around the ship.

It would take at least 1/2 hour to rapel down to the sea, and maybe longer to climb back up, not counting time circling the ship.

No I think she will have exceeded her alloted chair retention time :)

LOL Erin. Believe it or not, I can do laps in the pool - it's just a matter of getting there right after breakfast or lunch when no one else is there. Around the ship might be interesting, but the propeller wash might cause a problem. Nancy

Ok, I have the 75 foot twine which i will tie to my ankle and to the chair that will keep me from venturing to far away. I have one of those kitchen timers with a little clip on the back that I can attach to my swimsuit. It will be set to 13 min. 27 sec. I know when it beeps that I must return to my chair. This is well withinn the RCCL 30 min "official" policy. I am set!!

On a serious note, Nancy brings up an interesting point. What if you are actually IN the pool? Surely you can park your towel and things while swimming. I started this thread half in jest since some folks seem to be REALLY uptight about this issue. We are also annoyed by the chairs in "prime" locations that seem to stay covered with towels, flip-flops, etc. for hours on end with no human in sight. To us it is more of an anoyance than anything. We are on vacation to relax; it is not worth getting all bent out of shape about. If all concerened could extend a little common courtesy to their fellow cruisers and not tie up chairs (or Hammocks on the island) that they do not intend to use at least MOST of the time, life would be good. :D

Ok, I have the 75 foot twine which i will tie to my ankle and to the chair that will keep me from venturing to far away. I have one of those kitchen timers with a little clip on the back that I can attach to my swimsuit. It will be set to 13 min. 27 sec. I know when it beeps that I must return to my chair. This is well withinn the RCCL 30 min "official" policy. I am set!!

On a serious note, Nancy brings up an interesting point. What if you are actually IN the pool? Surely you can park your towel and things while swimming. I started this thread half in jest since some folks seem to be REALLY uptight about this issue. We are also annoyed by the chairs in "prime" locations that seem to stay covered with towels, flip-flops, etc. for hours on end with no human in sight. To us it is more of an anoyance than anything. We are on vacation to relax; it is not worth getting all bent out of shape about. If all concerened could extend a little common courtesy to their fellow cruisers and not tie up chairs (or Hammocks on the island) that they do not intend to use at least MOST of the time, life would be good. :D

I agree with you 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We get up at 8:30...put our stuff on chairs....grab breakfast quickly...return by 9....and stay there for the rest of the day.....I call that smart...not chair hogging!

It's still chair-hogging because it sometimes prevents others from having the opportunity to have a chair at all. If everyone on the ship was as "smart" as you, then it would be quite a free-for-all when they all showed up at 8:30 to hog their chairs for the rest of the day.

"Could it be that how far your fanny is from the chair is a factor? If I am not IN the chair, but I am standing a few feet away for 20 minutes watching activities, am I Hogging? If distance from the chair is a factor, what is the regulation distance?"

OH I love this! I am envisoning my husband with a tape measure running from my a$$ to the chair!!!:rolleyes:

I think if you will be gone for over half hour you should take your things and allow someone else to use the chair. This does not count if you have some one in your party stay with the things. Just my opinion.

Well put.

Anne

The only ship you can possibly go 1000' from the pool is QM2, because the pool is aft and the ship is over 1000' . Just about every other ship is less than that in length and the pools are midships.

Not ususally a stickler for these things, but couldn't help myself this time. And no you are not a chair hog.

I think Chair Hogs are just a way of life and it isn't going to change. Because we all have differing opinions on what a "chair hog" is. And I think to some degree we are all chair hogs (since we all have different opinions of what one is).

What is the difference in each of these scenarios?

Someone putting their stuff down...going to WJ for 45 mins...coming back and sitting in the chair for 4 hours....then going to WJ for 45 mins for lunch....then coming back and sitting in chair for 4 hours.

Someone putting their stuff down and then walking the track for 30 mins, then getting in the pool for an hour, then sitting on the side of the pool for an hour, then going to the bar for an hour to smoke (not sitting in the chair for even 5 minutes).

One person coming out and putting towells on 8 chairs and sitting in one of them. While people come by for hours asking for the chairs and being told that they are "taken". The rest of the group finally shows up about noon and sits there for an hour and then gets up to go to lunch leaving one person behind to watch all 8 chairs. Then they decide to go back to their rooms for a nap and are gone for hours. Then about 5 pm the person left with the 8 chairs finally leaves them all leaving all of the towells on the chairs.

Some posters above say you should take your stuff even to the bathroom and definitely for lunch but it is ok to leave stuff there as long as one person is there with the stuff. So if I want to sit there by myself for 8 hours and hold 8 chairs for friends that are only going to sit there for one hour that is ok? But if the couple next to me both want to sit there for 8 hours yet take a 45 minute break to go to WJ together they should take all of their stuff? Or if I want to go swim, jog, sit at the bar, etc. it is ok to leave my stuff in the chair for hours and hours as long as someone I know is with it? I don't think so!

We all have our own "definitions" and opinions. Do what you feel comfortable with and can live with yourself and a "clear conscious". Try to be courteous to others and "do unto others as you would have them do to you".

Well, of course, MY rules are that one person may save one other chair - either by the pool or in the lounge for evening entertainment. If they say they are saving more than one, and nothing else is available, I would probably say "thank you for saving me a seat", and sit down - at least until a member of their party arrived in the next ten minutes. It also helps that I'm old, fat and grouchy. Nancy

We just got back from a cruise on the Rhapsody. It was spring break and therefore very crowded. Chair hogging became a major issue. I'm sorry but I think it's ridculous when my husband goes out at 7:30 am and every chair is taken or saved. I'm not talking "prime" pool spots. Virtually EVERY lounger, sun or shade, on all decks. It did impact our enjoyment of the cruise. I was looking forward to realaxing in the sun with a drink. I couldn't even find a lounger in the solarium. The only time we found chairs was when we came back early from an excursion on a port day.People say that wearing shorts in the dining affects their cruise "experience", I can honestly say I don't give a hoot what anybody else wears, but the chair hogging is a major "experience" buster.

but there is only one cure for chair hogging, and that is "If your butt is not in the chair, it is available." If you go to swim, it's available, if you go to the bathroom, it's available. If you go to the buffet, it's available. Are you getting my drift?

The real reason is that if this rule were followed, there would be TONS of available chairs in great locations. The turnover as chairs were abandoned would exceed the demand.

It is only because PAX use the excuse that "I'll only be gone for a few minutes, a few hours, or a few days - therefore that makes it OK to save a chair" that the chair problem exists.

On our last RCI cruise (May 2004) my husband and I had a pretty difficult time finding two unhogged chairs next to each other in the sun. We didn't care much where. I agree with Nancy, when we go to the pool it's usually to do a little swimming, and then some sunning. Generally, we'll bring towels, sunglasses, sunscreen, a key, and some books. Where do we put these while we're swimming? A cubby would work for us, and then we'll look around for chairs when we're ready. But in absence of this, we've got to put the stuff somewhere. Reading this has given me an idea for our next cruise next month: since so many people seem to be really reasonable about this, and the consensus is that RCI's policy is 30 minutes, I'm going to bring some index cards with me and a couple of heavy duty paper clips. On the card I will write "I am in the pool or the bathroom. If I am not back by 2:30 (one-half hour after I leave), please place my stuff underneath and feel free to use my chair."

Do you think this will work?

Jenny

, I'm going to bring some index cards with me and a couple of heavy duty paper clips. On the card I will write "I am in the pool or the bathroom. If I am not back by 2:30 (one-half hour after I leave), please place my stuff underneath and feel free to use my chair."

Do you think this will work?

Jenny

Jenny, that's an excellent idea! Better yet, Royal Caribbean could include in the Welcome Aboard materials an envelope with a stack of about 25 of the cards pre-printed with a little miniature golf type pencil included. Then, when looking for chairs at the pool, any empty chair without a card on it or a card where the 30-minutes had expired would be up for grabs. If RCCL really wanted to impress us, they could attach a small plastic card-holder to the top of the back of the chair or some other location where it would be easily visible. They could even add a couple of dollars per person to the cruise fares to pay for the move. It would surely make a lot of people have a less stressful and more enjoyable vacation.

I'm too fair-skinned to even go in the pool or lie in the sun, but often I can't even find an unsaved chair in the shade so I can read for an hour or so and listen to the poolside music, and have some one bring me Coronas or BBCs. I've seen a lot of chair hogs put their stuff on a chair in the sun, and then put more stuff on a chair in the shade so that when they get tired of the sun, they'll have a second chair "reserved" in the shade. What jerks!

The sad part is that the chair hogs would probably put their junk on the chair at 7 a.m. then go to breakfast, bingo, etc. and put "5:30 p.m." on the card! There would have to be a rule that any card with a time on it more than 30 minutes in advance would also be forfeited. It all seems so simple if the cruise lines would have the "testicular fortitude" :eek: to enforce it..

Allen

Archived