Is There ANYONE that enjoys just hanging in Belize?

LiveLoveCruise

I tend to be pretty easy going. Sure, I'd like to hit the beach. But, not with an hour ride.

Sooo, my question is....

With all of the "Belize City is boring" and "You have to book an excursion" Does ANYONE actually enjoy hanging around?

I was thinking about having a light lunch and beer at The Wet Lizard, a stop at the pharmacy, buy a couple of cigars and a hat.

Am I the only one that finds this even remotely amusing? :o

DW and I have been to Belize two times and have seen enough. The only thing we would do again is the cave tubing. When we get back to the port we go directly to the Wet Lizard for a couple of cold Beliken beers, sit up on the deck and pass the time away. Relaxing and quiet.

Watching youtube videos on the streets of Belize City only makes me wanna see it more. It seems so different from my locale. My wife and daughter and I plan to take a City Tour, a stop at the Belikin Brewery, then walk over to Nerie's Restaurant for a traditional meal (stewed cowsfoot, gibnut, beans and rice etc.)

It just seems like a place I want my daugter to see, a different way of life.

K

Watching youtube videos on the streets of Belize City only makes me wanna see it more. It seems so different from my locale. My wife and daughter and I plan to take a City Tour, a stop at the Belikin Brewery, then walk over to Nerie's Restaurant for a traditional meal (stewed cowsfoot, gibnut, beans and rice etc.)

It just seems like a place I want my daughter to see, a different way of life.

K

I agree. I often hear people describe the area (and areas like it) as depressing.

When I'm away from home, I realize that life changes. We use common

sense in our travels. But, it's a nice reminder, you know?

Many years ago, I was given the advice to take the city tour in every port and see what is there. The second trip, you can do other things, but some places you may not get back to.

Allow yourself to see beyond the poverty and look at the natural beauty of the places you visit. Also, Look into the faces of the people, and you will see a happy smile and a glint in the eyes. Realize that we are very fortunate, but some of the people we meet and see in the places we visit are happy without all the glitz of our troubled society.

I was thinking about having a light lunch and beer at The Wet Lizard, a stop at the pharmacy, buy a couple of cigars and a hat.

Am I the only one that finds this even remotely amusing? :o

This is pretty much what we plan to do in Belize....Have a couple of beers at the Wet Lizard and check out the shops...back to the ship!

Anyone know if the rum cakes are worth the purchase and does anyone know the price?

We are struggling with what to do here. My DH does not want to zipline. We are not wild about cave tubing since we have done that in other areas. We like to explore on our own. I don't mind the vendors trying to sell things to us. We have been all over and don't have a problem with the firm no thank you.

I do like to see the local areas even if it is not "resort beautiful".

• 2 weeks later...

I know nothing of Belize and was hoping these boards would provide some info on the port and the logistics of seeing Belize city on our own. But the complete absence of any mention of doing it on my own makes me wonder if it is possible. Is the cruise port way out of the way of anything worth seeing? Is there anything worth seeing? Is it safe to do on our own? We aren't really excursion people and usually like to get away from the ship and explore on our own. Can anyone who has experience in Belize give me some feedback. Can we walk to something from our ship?

Thanks!

We have been to Belize many times. We are not close minded and love learning about other cultures. We like doing things on our own also but for Belize, we simply won't do it. Last visit to Belize, we walked to the water taxi and took it over the Caye Caulker. Just the walk over to the water taxi was unnerving. I couldn't focus on anything because it just felt chaotic and unsafe to me. I know that others have said that the people yelling and hounding you is overblown, but for us, this was our reality. As soon as we left the gates, we were followed and people were yelling for us to buy this or that. When we got to the water taxi station, people were totally packed into the station like sardines and everyone was pushing. It simply wasn' a pleasant experienc for us.

Now, other times, we have taken private tours to cave tube and the ruins and this was fine. We were picked up and immediately left that city. It was about an hour to cave tubing and more to the ruins, so to answer your question, for us personally, there is nothing worth seeing that isn't a long drive away.

Just a side note. We just returned from Falmouth Jamaica and spent the day at MG. Jamaica seemed very calm and the people much less aggressive than we have ever had in Belize. It has been about 10 years since we had been to Jamaica and wasn't sure what to expect. I bring this up just for comparsion.

The first time we went to Belize my DH went on a horse-riding excursion and I went outside the port area and managed to hire a female taxi driver to walk me around the town for about an hour. Had a great time with a lovely lady (28 years old with 6 children) who told me lots about Belize and pointed out the highlights of the town with pride. It is very poor but the children all get the best possible education and want to go to school.

The lady was great at keeping the vendors from bugging me.

My DH and I walked around the next time we were there but he didn't like it at all so we went back to the Port area and had a beer (it was probably at the Wet Lizard. LOL).

Archived