1st Cruise - short or long?

WeBeCruisers?

I would recommend a 7-day cruise if possible. That way you're on long enough to get used to it, but it'll be over soon enough if for whatever reason you don't like it. Our first cruise on the Pride was cut short a day (from Hurricane Irene) and by the end of the cruise we didn't want to get off.

As far as a balcony goes, it really is a personal preference. If you don't plan on spending much time in the room, then it would probably make sense to go with a less expensive inside cabin. We ended up spending a good deal of time out on our balcony and now can't imagine sailing without it.

I would recommend a 7-day cruise if possible. That way you're on long enough to get used to it, but it'll be over soon enough if for whatever reason you don't like it. Our first cruise on the Pride was cut short a day (from Hurricane Irene) and by the end of the cruise we didn't want to get off.

As far as a balcony goes, it really is a personal preference. If you don't plan on spending much time in the room, then it would probably make sense to go with a less expensive inside cabin. We ended up spending a good deal of time out on our balcony and now can't imagine sailing without it.

Agree completely about the balcony. The nicer your cabin, the more time you hang around in it.

Our first cruise was a 4 nighter because DH did not think he would like cruising. It was long enough for him to learn he liked it, allowing us to book more and longer cruises since. If anybody in your party is unsure if cruising will agree with them, a short cruise is a good start. OTOH, if everybody in your party is sold on the idea, go ahead with a longer cruise.

One other thought: cruises longer than 7 days generally tend to draw a somewhat older, somewhat more sedate crowd with fewer children. Perfect for some, but those looking for a younger crowd or more party atmosphere or playmates for kids may want to select shorter cruises (even if it means booking back to back short cruises to fill their available vacation time). So, you might want to factor that in as well as you select your cruise.

This is GREAT advice! I, too, would suggest a shorter cruise to test the waters so to speak.

In my experience, I took a short, first cruise and fell in love with this type of vacationing. My husband on the other hand, can't stand the (what he calls) confinement of a ship. He learned this on his first time 10 day cruise!

Archived