Livorno to Florence

slick107

Hi,

Does anyone know how to get to FLorence from the port of Livorno?

I mean, from the port of Livorno, where is the train station? Do we have to taxi into the train station or is it within walking distance? If using a taxi, how much does it cost?

Also, does anyone know of a very good price for a tour from Livorno to Pisa to Florence and back?

thanks!

There's all kinds of info on the Europe thread on the Ports of Call boards.I believe you can easily walk to the train station in Livorno in order to take a train into Florence. The main station in Florence (Firenze) is within walking distance (if you're a good walker) of the Arno, the Uffizi, the Duomo, etc.

Just make sure your train connections are right and that you get back to Livorno several hours in advance of sailing (in case there is a problem). It is probably a good hour or more by train from Livorno to Firenze.

I'd leave more than an hour.

On Golden Princess, 8-02, two or three couples almost got left behind by the ship, when their train was delayed by a derailment on the line. Luckily, they were able to contact the Port Agent, and the ship did delay its departure by about 30 minutes.

I'm told they got a good "dressing down" by ship's officers when they arrived, in a car I believe was hired by the Port Agent.

Maybe this will help. I know more but short on time today.

email me. also read my post on Princess board. "information on ports of call.

inezg@numail.org

Good morning Mr. Gardner,

the train station is about 3km from the port, so it's a 40min. walk. From the station there are buses to the city centre -that is only a few min. walk from the port- and there are taxis. I don't understand why everyone says not to take a taxi; maybe because they're a little bit expensive? (From the station to the port it might be about 12-15 euros)

Best regards,

Giuliana

Good morning,

I guess you're coming to Livorno on a cruise; aren't you? In this case from the dock to the city centre there is a shuttle bus service. The shuttle buses stop in Grande square where you can find n.1 bus to the railway station. It's a frequent bus (every 10 min). The bus ticket is €1 and you can buy it before getting on the bus at the newsagent's or tobacconist's. From Livorno to Florence (and back) there are trains every hour. It's a 1.30h trip to cover a distance of about 100 km. (the train ticket-round trip-costs €13).

You've got right information about taxis: when a cruise ship arrives there so many tourists that it's very hard to find one and they're expensive too. A round trip to Florence may cost €400.

Best regards,

Giuliana

----- Original Message -----

To: info@costadeglietruschi.it

Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 4:49 PM

Subject: RE: train station

Thanks for your reply.

Let me understand, there are no buses from the port to the train station, and a taxi is the only way to get there, walking is too far.

The reason people say not to take a taxi is that it is hard to find one that will take you to the station, they want to argue with you that that they can take you to Florence just a cheap and when you find one that will take you they charge $20.00. If you have more information please let me know.

Thanks again,

Charles

-----Original Message-----

From: info@costadeglietruschi.it [mailto:info@costadeglietruschi.it]

Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 3:11 AM

To: Inez and Charles Gardner

Subject: Re: train station

Good morning Mr. Gardner,

the train station is about 3km from the port, so it's a 40min. walk. From the station there are buses to the city centre -that is only a few min. walk from the port- and there are taxis. I don't understand why everyone says not to take a taxi; maybe because they're a little bit expensive? (From the station to the port it might be about 12-15 euros)

Best regards,

Giuliana

----- Original Message -----

To: info@livorno.turismo.toscana.it

Sent: Monday, February 21, 2005 9:26 PM

Subject: train station

I have been trying to find a map that shows how far it is from the port to the train station.

Please help. Everyone says do not take a taxi. Is it to far to walk?

Thanks

Charles Gardner

Also keep in mind that the Italian rail workers have been known for going on strike without much notice.

We took the Princess coach transfer from Livorno to Florence. The coach dropped us off just outside the city and then told us to meet back there at a specified time. We got an excellent overview/history of the area from the guide during the drive that made our trip to Florence more meaningful.

It was very easy and stressfree to take the Princess transfer.

Also keep in mind that the Italian rail workers have been known for going on strike without much notice.

We took the Princess coach transfer from Livorno to Florence. The coach dropped us off just outside the city and then told us to meet back there at a specified time. We got an excellent overview/history of the area from the guide during the drive that made our trip to Florence more meaningful.

It was very easy and stressfree to take the Princess transfer.

When we were in Italy (cruising with another line), we chose the taxi/train option . Good to know Princess offers a coach transfer. Do you remember how long was travel time from Livorno to Florence? Was coach air-conditioned? Reason I asked, we were traveling in August and the train (even with windows open) was very warm. Thanks in advance for your response.

When we were in Italy (cruising with another line), we chose the taxi/train option . Good to know Princess offers a coach transfer. Do you remember how long was travel time from Livorno to Florence? Was coach air-conditioned? Reason I asked, we were traveling in August and the train (even with windows open) was very warm. Thanks in advance for your response.
The drive between Livorno and Florence is approximately 1 1/2 hours each way, subject to traffic conditions. The coach was air-conditioned. Current charge is Adult: $69.

I might add last September there was a traffic accident that stoped us for about 45 min. going into Florence.

If you want info and past experiences go to the Ports of Call board, Europe (there is not Med board), and do a search for Florence, or Livorno, etc and you will have more info that you might like. Also look at travel sites on the net. Google Florence or Livorno and see what you get.

The drive between Livorno and Florence is approximately 1 1/2 hours each way, subject to traffic conditions. The coach was air-conditioned. Current charge is Adult: $69.

I might add last September there was a traffic accident that stoped us for about 45 min. going into Florence.

Thanks for the info, good to know for future reference.

thanks everyone for the info. They are very helpful. I also did a search in the Port of Call for Europe. There were lots of info :)

It sounds pretty scarely to think that there is a chance that the ship may leave us. So, I believe we will get back to the ship at least 2 hours early in matter what matter of travel we decided, just to be safe.

:o

thanks everyone for the info. They are very helpful. I also did a search in the Port of Call for Europe. There were lots of info :)

It sounds pretty scarely to think that there is a chance that the ship may leave us. So, I believe we will get back to the ship at least 2 hours early in matter what matter of travel we decided, just to be safe.

:o

Yup...if you are on a Princess transfer and the coach is delayed they will wait for you...if you are on your own...you're out of luck.

Do a search on "Jody" for her review of the Med in 2003...they got left behind in Naples after their private tour got caught behind a traffic accident on a 2 lane road. They're next day was at sea and it was a real nightmare getting back to the ship.

thanks everyone for the info. They are very helpful. I also did a search in the Port of Call for Europe. There were lots of info :) It sounds pretty scarely to think that there is a chance that the ship may leave us. So, I believe we will get back to the ship at least 2 hours early in matter what matter of travel we decided, just to be safe. :o
Yes being left behind could certainly ruin a cruise! You really might reconsider taking the Princess transfers, offered in most ports as "on you own", because as Crowsie says if the transfer coach is delayed for any reason the ship waits. We have had several incidents that brought us back to the ship several hours after sailing time and it was always nice to know that when the Princess arranged shore excursion/transfer would arrive the ship would be there welcoming you back. Getting back 2 hours early in many ports where there are long trips to your sightseeing destination, like Livorno, will not leave you anywhere near enough time to see much. Doing a shore excursion no matter if it is by ship or privately arranged often just gives you a brief idea of what is there and to cut that time down returning several hours early almost makes the expense of the excursion or shortened experience not worth getting off the ship.

We've done 2 cruises , stopping in Livorno and both times we took Cruiseline's

Florence on your own for $69.oo p.p. Paying a little more was worth eliminating possible nerveous breakdown. Hearing about middle of the day strikes. accidents, delay was make me very nerveous that we could miss the ship. If CL bus gets delayed - ship will wait. Otherwise you on your own.

Have fun either way you get to Florence - what a fabulous city. Don't gorget to try their gellatto - it's awesome.

Yes being left behind could certainly ruin a cruise! You really might reconsider taking the Princess transfers, offered in most ports as "on you own", because as Crowsie says if the transfer coach is delayed for any reason the ship waits. We have had several incidents that brought us back to the ship several hours after sailing time and it was always nice to know that when the Princess arranged shore excursion/transfer would arrive the ship would be there welcoming you back. Getting back 2 hours early in many ports where there are long trips to your sightseeing destination, like Livorno, will not leave you anywhere near enough time to see much. Doing a shore excursion no matter if it is by ship or privately arranged often just gives you a brief idea of what is there and to cut that time down returning several hours early almost makes the expense of the excursion or shortened experience not worth getting off the ship.

BJS is right....when you take the Princess transfer you eliminate spending you're entire time in the city worrying about getting back...instead of spending the time enjoying the city.

Oh...besides the gelato...which is totally fab....Florence is know for their leather. They have upscale shops and an outdoor leather market for shoes/belts/jackets/purses etc. Great bartering here, but you'll get a better price if you pay cash over credit card.

Ditto the cruise line transfer vote! The drop-off and pick -up points are easy to find and it's so "walkable" that you don't need public transport to get around and with delays via train, bus on your own that can occur I'd never do it any other way.. Plus they pick you up AT the ship so if you're thinking "train" you don't have to get yourself to and from train station which is time you could spend in Florence!:)

For leather there is a wonderful shop behind Santa Croce and shops along the plaza in front of the church but the leather sold be seminarians (? - I think) behind the church is of excellent craftsmanship and price IMHO.

Madam X and I went to Florence from Livorno on our own by train. Getting to the train station in Livorno was easy & inexpensive -- altho I don't remember exactly how we did it -- probably by taxi. In Florence, if you want to get into the museums, be sure you buy tickets in advance over the Internet for both the Uffizi & Academia -- you thereby avoid potentially long lines. The train schedule between Livorno & Florence is on the internet & there are many trains between the 2 cities. Had "we" not shopped too long in Florence, we could have also had time to stop in Pisa before returning to Livorno. enjoy. gene

some people like it safe some people like to live.

I'm taking the train from Livorno to Florence.

If i'm late getting back, the sky did not fall. I'll catch a train to Rome and have more time there before i catch a train back to Civitavecchia to get back on the ship and if i miss then i'll go to Naples. No big deal.........

Why worry!

Charles

some people like it safe some people like to live.

I'm taking the train from Livorno to Florence.

If i'm late getting back, the sky did not fall. I'll catch a train to Rome and have more time there before i catch a train back to Civitavecchia to get back on the ship and if i miss then i'll go to Naples. No big deal.........

Why worry!

Charles

:D :D Why even bother booking a cruise? :confused: ;)

The leather shop at Santa Croce is called The Leather School or more properly Scuola del Cuoio. Many of the people running leather stores in Florence were trained there. You reach Scuola del Cuoio by going into Santa Croce, and through (yes, through) the gift shop. There's a great deal of leather goods, from inexpensive (but not cheaply made) to very expensive. The quality is outstanding. They have a website.

Jim

Oldbutkicking, I am with you. Lots of things can happen and any intelligent person knows that, but for the most part, the trains are very reliable and an inexpensive way to get around. I believe the cost last fall to be about 9 euros pp round trip. As it turns out we went to Pisa very inexpensively by sharing a van with others, but we took the train to Rome and saved a bundle. Plus -and plus!! it is soooo much nicer to go on your schedule and not the schedule set up by the transfer. We gave ourselves plenty of time to get back, and really enjoyed our day. Have fun!

Ah Firenze de la bella Italia, the most beautiful city in Italy.

As your cruise director staff will tell you during the shore excursion briefing,

"There is nothing more romantic than standing on the end of a pier with the sun setting, hand in hand watching the cascade of lights of a cruise ship 5 miles out to sea...EXCEPT when it's your ship."

Plan on being back at the ship one hour before she sails...AND (good hint from the crew)...when you go ashore, always keep your watch on ship's time regardless of where you are.

Ciao for now!!!

Archived