Lastest on QM2 refit

southwestie

It is still sad about the change in homeport registry for all 3 Cunard Queens.But at least there is still a Cunard Line.Thank You Carnival Corporation for saving the Cunard Line :) Regards,Jerry

Ah, a positive tone and a very good point. In these times, many companies are fading away due to financial issues. It really is not easy to survive these days so cost saving / revenue generating measures seem much more preferable to having the Cunard name fade away.

thanks Jerry.

Rob

Ah, a positive tone and a very good point. In these times, many companies are fading away due to financial issues. It really is not easy to survive these days so cost saving / revenue generating measures seem much more preferable to having the Cunard name fade away.

thanks Jerry.

Rob

Thank You Rob for your thought :) Regards,Jerry

There's a fantastic night shot of QM2 in the Blohm und Voss dry dock here:

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1446309

I don't know the photographer, but he has done a terrific job. Unfortunately, you need to have registered with ShipSpotting to see the full size version but the publicly accessible image is quite adequate to give you an idea of the quality.

J

I don't know the photographer, but he has done a terrific job. Unfortunately, you need to have registered with ShipSpotting to see the full size version but the publicly accessible image is quite adequate to give you an idea of the quality.

J

Very nice.

J

Excellent photograph, thank you.

374232_1640290263297_1718026451_805822_1725550542_n.jpg

The carpeting is HIDEOUS! Please tell me there are some new drapes and bedding that "Somehow" bring this all together - this has to go in the "What were they thinking?!?!?" category.

To each there own I say but this is one ghastly selection of carpet that P&O authorized. I suspect with a little hunting one will find this "easy maintenance brown" selection on other Carnival ships as well. Beige and brown do not always go and this is a prime example of corner cutting to get the job done. What a shame P&O's designers could not push a nicer design to the bean counters.

No one has mentioned the problems under the carpeting. We were on QM2 about 75 days this year. There were soft spots like potholes under the carpeting in hallways and especially by the elevators. It was really weird. There must be some major problems with the underflooring in many public areas. Let us hope they concentrate on fixing these before we worry about what color the carpeting is. We got off the ship Nov. 17 and couldn't believe what bad shape the flooring was in. Anyone else notice this?

That has been a major subject here on CC and on Cunard's Facebook page. The material under the carpeting deteriorated in many areas, not just on the heavily traveled corridors on deck 2 and it is all being replaced. Take a look at the blog on http://www.wearecunard.com and scroll through the photos. There is one that shows a huge area that has been torn up.

Just returned from a cruise on Celebrity's brand new Silhouette and am catching up on my Cruisecritic reading.

The new carpeting in the cabins is hideous! There is absolutely no coordination with the drapes, sofa fabric and bed furnishings. It looks very cheap and shabby.

The style and furnishings of the public rooms and cabins on Silhouette, incidentally, were very agreeable and pleasing to behold, even to my jaded Cunard eyes. :rolleyes:

I am looking forward to seeing the results of the refit during my crossing on January 3rd and recuperating from the dizzying carpet during my return to NY

on Queen Elizabeth!

ZCEF6: MarineTraffic indicates that the reflagging is official.

Radio call signs didn't mean anything to many passengers. But seeing QM2 with "GBQM" on her boats for me meant that there was no doubt where she came from and who she was. An era has ended. I was fortunate to have sailed on her just before it did.

Just returned from a cruise on Celebrity's brand new Silhouette and am catching up on my Cruisecritic reading.

The new carpeting in the cabins is hideous! There is absolutely no coordination with the drapes, sofa fabric and bed furnishings. It looks very cheap and shabby.

The style and furnishings of the public rooms and cabins on Silhouette, incidentally, were very agreeable and pleasing to behold, even to my jaded Cunard eyes. :rolleyes:

I am looking forward to seeing the results of the refit during my crossing on January 3rd and recuperating from the dizzying carpet during my return to NY

on Queen Elizabeth!

I hope we meet on the January 3 crossing and can exchange views on the Silhouette. I took it for a repositioning crossing in late October.

Interestingly I can't remember a thing about the cabin carpet or its co-ordination with drapes, etc. I thought the cabin was reasonably attractive and have no complaints about it. The bathroom was much better than QM2.

But I didn't find the public rooms all that agreeable. Some were gaudy.

And the main thing I learned was that the tub wasn't built to cross the Atlantic. We had 2-3 days of somewhat bad weather which wouldn't have bothered QM2 very much but which had the Silhouette bouncing all over the place and the Captain slowing to 14 knots.

Overall it simply wasn't up to Cunard standards. I'm looking forward to January 3 when we'll start 22 nights on QM2 and I'm sure the refit will only make it more enjoyable.

Hope to chat on the Jan 3 crossing.

Archived