Lastest on QM2 refit

southwestie

...Interesting that QE2 started out shockingly modern, then became more conservative with each successive refit, QM2 seems to be moving in the opposite direction to a degree.

Glasgow Museum of Transport as the model of QE2 as built - complete with tacky outdoor furniture and MOD disco tile around the pool. She may have started out as 1960's trailer trash but matured into an elegant grande dame.

Refitting a ship has to be a difficult balance. Replace what was already there and it wll not take too long for the look to become dated. The loyal passengers love it but first timers think the ship is old and tired. Go too drastically in the other direction and those loyal customers get alienated.

I think it looks quite nice, actually. In any event, since I do not usually go round looking at my feet, but try to keep my head up (usually looking at other people), I'd probably not notice the carpet all that much.

:) It's not my custom to look at my feet either, but after the "craters" on the flooring on board became apparent, I eventually became more aware of where I put my feet, especially when wearing high heel shoes. Happily, it's all been sorted out in the refit. I might not fall over in delight with changes in decor, but that is not as important as not falling down due to uneven flooring. :) Cheers, -S.

found pics here:

http://www.stevedunlop.com/Cunard.html

Maybe just me, but I think it overall it looks quite rich and more modern than it used to.

Or maybe I'm just lovestruck and this girl would look great to me no matter what she is wearing! ;)

Rob

I agree with you Rob. I do think it has a rich, modern look to it. I really like the changes and can't wait for my first ever sailing on QM2 in July.

I agree with you Rob. I do think it has a rich, modern look to it. I really like the changes and can't wait for my first ever sailing on QM2 in July.

That's the spirit! And happily, you have no comparsions to make with the way the ship looked prevously. Will your July be a trans-atlantic crossing? I imagine the carpeting will really come alive on the high seas in the North Atlantic :)

They are worse than I thought, the designer should never work again. Sort of a retro 1970 look frequently found in elderly peoples homes in the UK:eek:

Home from home - what more could one want :p

I really hope that we will be able to sail on her again- she looks great to me!

Hi Whitemarsh - for our last voyage, to make absolutely sure of table location we copied the image of the Grill Room from the Cunard Deck layout pages, then inserted an "X" on the image, also describing the table location - and sent a Fax to the Maitre D

In our case it worked

It looks like they've changed the seating floor plan for the Princess Grill. Bugger, I had requested a particular table number, hopefully it will be in the same location.

I love those black chairs in the Queens Grill Lounge.

Hi Whitemarsh - for our last voyage, to make absolutely sure of table location we copied the image of the Grill Room from the Cunard Deck layout pages, then inserted an "X" on the image, also describing the table location - and sent a Fax to the Maitre D

In our case it worked

I remembered the table number and emailed Cunard with the request. I was reasonably confident I'd get a table in my preferred area but the pictures I saw indicate that they have moved the tables around in the Princess Grill. Do you have the fax number for the Princess Grill Maitre D?

Voila!

Queen Mary 2 (tel) 00 870 323 576 210 or 220, (fax) 00 870 323 576 211 or 221

Queen Victoria (tel) 00 870 764 817 752 or 755, (fax) 00 870 764 817 754 or 757

Queen Elizabeth (tel) 00 870 765 067 263, (fax) 00 870 765 067 261.

the "870" is the "country code" for the Inmarsat satellite

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/guest_contact

Ideal to wait till you know ship is in port (receiving sat signals) rather than in strormy seas

D

I remembered the table number and emailed Cunard with the request. I was reasonably confident I'd get a table in my preferred area but the pictures I saw indicate that they have moved the tables around in the Princess Grill. Do you have the fax number for the Princess Grill Maitre D?

Check out Cunard's facebook page, thy've added and updated some photos of the finished refit, in particular some of the Britannia staterooms which don't look too bad after all.

By the way Capt'n P is very quiet ! the last I heard he'd managed to get a last min booking for this weekend.

Bell Boy:)

oops .. I see facebook has already been mentioned and the Capt'n is up and running on the above thread.

Cunard's Facebook page has pictures of Princess Grill and Britannia staterooms.

Princess Grill

web.png?ver=13234279280001

Britannia

web.png?ver=13234279390001

cheers mate!!!

curse that bloody ugly britannia couch! your PG looks nice! looks smaller with the darker carpet though? perhaps its just the photo! im excited for feb :)

Voila!

Ideal to wait till you know ship is in port (receiving sat signals) rather than in strormy seas

D

Awesome, thank you!!

curse that bloody ugly britannia couch!

I agree. It's a shame they haven't re-upholstered them. I've always thought they look out of date and I think they look even worse now against all the new furnishings.

The carpet does look smarter though than in previous photos.

The sofas on the QV and QE are much nicer.

p1030115b.jpg

Wouldn't stop me sailing on her but a disappointing outcome. I don't think it looks "modern" at all it is gaudy and not classy. Very carnival style though.

I wonder who got the cushion contract, looks like the supplier for the Poundshops:)

the couches on QV?QE look so comfy and fresh! the ones on QM2 look worn, thin and hard.... esp the arm rest parts that are actually just wood.. i was hoping the would change the material at the very least but ultimately i was hoping the would bring the same couches as QV/QE onboard. Much better quality couches.. and after all the QM2 is the flagship, she shouldn't lack in simple comforts that the QV/QE do not lack in..

cheers

Voila!

D

has anyone ever received an email onboard from someone using you QM2 email address (the one with you initial,surname and room number)? is it delivered to you as a telegram? or do you log onto the ships internet yourself to retrieve it?

I still can't stand the carpet design. It's very disruptive in such small spaces, and I much preferred the simpler ones they had before. In the Princess Grill photo the cabin looks smaller than the ones I've had. Is that a different grade, or the effect of the carpet I wonder?

I just checked out the new photos of QM2 on the Cunard Facebook page, and apparently, except for the gym, they have designed the entire ship with busy carpets. What on earth is the purpose of that? The carpets jump out at you! :eek: :eek: :confused:

cheers mate!!!

curse that bloody ugly britannia couch! your PG looks nice! looks smaller with the darker carpet though? perhaps its just the photo! im excited for feb :)

Peter Shanks has said that those sofas will be replaced over the next couple of weeks.

http://wearecunard.com/2011/12/she’s-back-and-she’s-beautiful…/

I think it's just the angle of the camera; we know they didn't make the Princess Grill suites smaller during the refit. In anycase, I'll get by :D

Hello,

as written before I went to Hamburg to watch the Queen floating out of the drydock at Blohm & Voss shipyard. The floating out was cancelled due to bad weather. I uploaded a short video to give you an impression of the weather at that time. The link to that video is

Another rather long video which is not done by myself shows the conditions at noon but also the floating out at midnight.

The link to that video is

Frank

Thank y Frank for standing out in the cold to film her painted back to her former glory. Now I can start packing for when she comes to Aust to pick me up for my next adventure. tThanks again merry Xmas Sarah

Archived