Alcatraz Night Tours

tarheelmjfan

We want to take one of the Alcatraz night tours. Their site lists lots of different tours & I don't have a clue which to take. Which of the night tours do you think is best? This would be for 2 adults (1 who scares easily), & a 13 yo. boy. TIA :)

Hi, what you need to do is list the differences so we know what we are looking at or put a link to the site and be sure to tell us what you are thinking about doing. I live out here but don't know your source of information about the tours.

Thanks for your offer to help. :) Here's the link: www.parksconservancy.org/parksites/alcnight.html

I've been reading more about the tour & I'm even more confused. :confused: Now I'm thinking that there's only 1 tour, & they offer a selection of special programs each night after the tour. Are you able to see all the offered programs that night, or do you have to choose between the programs available. We definitely want to see the electric chair, & I've heard that some of the tours (I guess they're actually programs :confused: ) are better than others. (i.e. Either the kitchen, or the hospital is supposed to be a better tour.) I'm wondering which ones are "not to be missed" & how we know which nights they are available. I was thinking that we would go to the site, choose what we want to see, & buy a ticket for that particular tour. Obviously, I misunderstood. :o Thanks again :)

Hi...

Not sure why the Alcatraz tour ? is on the Alaska board...did it move from San Francisco Bay...ok...couldn't resist - sorry, but not TOO sorry.

I took the nite tour a couple of years ago in Feb. & it was GREAT. It's the last tour of the day & there is only 1 or 2 ferries that go on that tour-instead of a few thousand people, there are about 3-400. It's still light when you're at Alcatraz but getting towards dusk & you finish up the tour.

By the time you get back to SF, it's completely dark.

I always suggest this particular tour to my clients visiting SF.

Have fun.

greatcruisinghome

Hi...

Not sure why the Alcatraz tour ? is on the Alaska board...did it move from San Francisco Bay...ok...couldn't resist - sorry, but not TOO sorry.

I took the nite tour a couple of years ago in Feb. & it was GREAT. It's the last tour of the day & there is only 1 or 2 ferries that go on that tour-instead of a few thousand people, there are about 3-400. It's still light when you're at Alcatraz but getting towards dusk & you finish up the tour.

By the time you get back to SF, it's completely dark.

I always suggest this particular tour to my clients visiting SF.

Have fun

greatcruisinghome

I hope it's still there, because we'll be extremely disappointed if it floats away before we arrive. :p Sorry, you didn't like my choice of posting location. :rolleyes: I posted here, because many of the Alaska ships sail from SF & the US "Ports of Call" board doesn't get near as much activity.

tarheel,

We've taken this tour and it's a lot of fun. We liked the Hospital tour, which goes upstairs and looks at Robert Stroud's isolation cell, the pharmacy, a few "haunted" rooms, and the psych facility. Very creepy! If you go, try to time your trip for sunset. There is a beautiful view of the Golden Gate from Alcatraz, and it's magical at sunset. Enjoy!

Archived