Is tour safe for a 16 yr old to go alone

SteinLaFemme

My 16 yr old daughter really wants to go on the Land rover jungle tour offered through NCL. I am "mobility challenged." I am recovering from a partially torn achillies tendon and am clutzy. The tour does not seem like I can go and just not participate. It involves a lot of hiking.

Is it safe for her to go alone?

I would connect with others on your roll call and see if other families on the ship are going on this tour. You will be able to meet onboard and discuss with the other family if they would keep a eye on your daughter.

This is good advice and the only way I would even consider letting my daughter go. Particularly out of the country.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

NO, I would not allow that. I am sure there is a safety waiver to be signed and if something did happen you would be on the ship? She is a minor so who would authorize medical attention? They would have to contact you first. I also don't think it's fair to ask someone else to take on that sort of responsibility to "watch" her.

I would have her pick something else that you could both do. Or you could book a private tour independently so they could cater to both your needs.

You must, of course, make your own decision about this, based on your daughter's maturity level, but as a man of 65 who still remembers what it was like to be 16, I would say of course, let her do this. It's a ship's tour--there will be people looking after her, as well as looking after the people my age and older who might fall down in the bushes. It's not like she asked you "Gee, can I wander around all by myself in the red-light districts of Amsterdam and Hamburg while we're docked?" I really wouldn't worry about it. It's hard to let go, but in my opinion the best thing you can do for children--and I speak from some experience--is to prepare them to be adults who won't always have you around. My parents did this, and so did I, and it seems to have worked out just fine for several generations. Just a thought. Here's another thought: 16 year olds are not children; we'd like to think they are, but they are not. They aren't us--adults-- but they aren't children, either; they're somewhere in-between, and our job is to manage that in-between, not pretend that it doesn't exist. Trust me, this is the hardest thing we ever do.

You must, of course, make your own decision about this, based on your daughter's maturity level, but as a man of 65 who still remembers what it was like to be 16, I would say of course, let her do this. It's a ship's tour--there will be people looking after her, as well as looking after the people my age and older who might fall down in the bushes. It's not like she asked you "Gee, can I wander around all by myself in the red-light districts of Amsterdam and Hamburg while we're docked?" I really wouldn't worry about it. It's hard to let go, but in my opinion the best thing you can do for children--and I speak from some experience--is to prepare them to be adults who won't always have you around. My parents did this, and so did I, and it seems to have worked out just fine for several generations. Just a thought. Here's another thought: 16 year olds are not children; we'd like to think they are, but they are not. They aren't us--adults-- but they aren't children, either; they're somewhere in-between, and our job is to manage that in-between, not pretend that it doesn't exist. Trust me, this is the hardest thing we ever do.

I agree. I would let her go.

Just my thoughts, but I would not let my 16 year old go alone, or even with another family that I just meet. If they have kids, that will be their priority not your daughter.

I do understand that a 16 yr old is more an adult than a child, but I don't think responsibility lessons should be given while in a foreign country!

I wasn't 16, but I was 13 and on a group trip out of the country with 25+ between 13-15 and 4 adults. As kids we were well targeted and even followed by those who wanted to sell us things, or just because we might have money on us, and we were never in groups less than 4, and never a group of all girls.

Also per NCL themselves, " NCL strongly encourages that no teenagers go ashore alone in the ports of call." They might not even be willing to BOOK the excursion just for her, even if it is threw them.

To me it isn't a thought of how much do you trust your daughter, how much do you trust the people who will be around her while she is out by herself in a foreign country?

• 2 weeks later...

That's a tough one.

This leaves the ship right to an open boat that goes up river to a site where the Land Rovers are. From there you get into them and drive over paved and unpaved roads to the cave site. Walk across a suspension bridge and into a cave. After lunch is served.

You take a bus ride back and free rum punch is served. Don't know if they had free water or soda.

You end up back at the tender area to go back to the ship.

It was a lot of fun. 2 horses jumped a fence right into the path of our car and the driver had to slam on the brakes. Lots of mosquitos.

• 2 weeks later...

As a teen I did pretty much as I pleased and went where I wanted to go, but that was a different time. Today I would not let my daughter or son (if I had one) go alone on a tour in Belize or any other port. I might let her go if I could meet some fellow cruisers that had children of the same age, but even then I would be very picky.

Archived