Mariner penthouse suites?

flossie009

Could any one advise the best deck and position (cabin no.) for a penthouse Grade C on Mariner

Kathy, I'm just noting that 780 that you were in is a Seven Seas Suite, and not a Penthouse C suite that Flossie was asking about.

I don't think you can go very wrong with any Penthouse C on Mariner, but if I was choosing, I'd prefer to be closer to the ship's center to reduce motion at sea, and lower rather than higher for the same reason. So my order of preference for Penthouse C suites on Decks 8 or 9 would probably be:

1) The ones just aft of the atrium on Deck 8 (830-837). Ideally, I might pass on 830 or 831 since they're closest to the atrium, and opposite the laundry room.

2) The ones just aft of the atrium on Deck 9 (920-927). Ideally, I might pass on 920 or 921 since they're closest to the atrium, and opposite the laundry room.

3) The ones just forward of the atrium on Deck 9 (902-915). Ideally, I might pick ones a room or two removed from the atrium, but not all the way forward where you could feel more motion, so perhaps 906-913.

Other factors to think about:

* do you prefer a tub or shower? We much prefer showers, as do a majority of people, but some people prefer a tub. Only 830, 908, 910, 911, 920 and 927 have tubs; the rest have showers.

* does the choice of side of the ship matter to you? On many itineraries, it really doesn't matters, but on some itineraries where you're cruising along a coastline, there may be a reason you'd prefer one side over the other.

-- Eric

flossie009,

Eric has given you good advice. I have a couple of additional comments.

My wife told me that when she was in the laundry room, a lot of other passengers let the laundry room door slam when entering or leaving the room. So I agree that you might want to avoid 830, 831, 920 and 921 if door slamming bothers you.

Last year, we were in 904 for 32 nights. We didn't notice much motion but had relatively calm seas. YMMV. I wouldn't hesitate to book that suite again.

One of the advantages of the forward suites on deck 9 is that there is less foot traffic. However, I would probably not book 910 or 911 because they are opposite the doors into the butler and stewardess service area and there is considerable traffic in that area several times a day.

If the ship is not docked, there will be minor noise from the tenders being deployed and retrieved in the midship suites and minor noise from the anchor being raised or lowered in the forward suites.

Have a great cruise.

Yes, I know it was not a penthouse C but it was a wonderful option.

Kathy, I have no doubt the Seven Seas Suite was excellent -- but it comes at a fairly significant premium of 25% to 45% higher cost than a Penthouse C suite (depending on the cruise). On a couple cruises I looked at for next year, the SS runs $7,000 more per suite than the PH C. For my pocketbook, I'd rather use that cost difference to get me halfway (plus or minus) to another Regent cruise. (We sailed in an aft suite on the Paul Gauguin a few years back and really enjoyed the aft view, so I can imagine how nice it must be in the Mariner SS, with double the space and much larger balcony!) In any case, I was just trying to answer Susan's original question, not quibble with your recommendation of the SS suite.

And normally I would not book a forward suite because of motion but the aft suites do not have the same issue of the water being as rough.

I agree that an aft suite might feel some less motion than a far forward suite, because the back of the ship doesn't experience the pounding of hitting into a wave the way the front of a ship does. But in rough seas, there should be close to as much up-down motion at the back as there is at the front; the midship suites are the ones with the least motion when the ship is moving through swells. (Picture a see-saw; the people on both ends get tossed up and down, but if someone were sitting in the middle, at the center fulcrum point, there'd be much less motion. Of course, sea movement is more complex and multi-directional than a see-saw, so there's some motion everywhere -- but midship, and low, is the most stable spot on a ship.)

-- Eric

Eric: I have booked suites on several ships far forward - like Navigator's 603 and other ships 1201 on Sapphire Princess and Hal's Amsterdam. Other than Voyager's aft - which I would not book ever because of known vibration issues - the aft suites or the Horizon are wonderful low suites which I would recommend over being on deck 10. The standard advice of low and miships for less movement is really itinerary dependent and good advice but there is no reason not to consider Aft especially on Mariner.

flossie009,

Eric has given you good advice. I have a couple of additional comments.

My wife told me that when she was in the laundry room, a lot of other passengers let the laundry room door slam when entering or leaving the room. So I agree that you might want to avoid 830, 831, 920 and 921 if door slamming bothers you.

Last year, we were in 904 for 32 nights. We didn't notice much motion but had relatively calm seas. YMMV. I wouldn't hesitate to book that suite again.

One of the advantages of the forward suites on deck 9 is that there is less foot traffic. However, I would probably not book 910 or 911 because they are opposite the doors into the butler and stewardess service area and there is considerable traffic in that area several times a day.

If the ship is not docked, there will be minor noise from the tenders being deployed and retrieved in the midship suites and minor noise from the anchor being raised or lowered in the forward suites.

Have a great cruise.

We have 911 and our close friends have 912. Being near the butler can't be all that bad, right? Shouldn't have to look for him/her when needed. Jack Morris

We have 911 and our close friends have 912. Being near the butler can't be all that bad, right? Shouldn't have to look for him/her when needed. Jack Morris

Jack,

I thought your next cruise was on the Navigator and not on the Mariner. :confused:

We have had PH c, B and A on the Mariner. ALL the same and ALL wonderful. Note that each time we were in the forward part of the ship. We went around Cape Horn on Deck 10, I think 1007 but I am not sure! And even with considerable movement we were fine (see photo below!!)

the PH suites on the Mariner are fantastic. On Voyager far less so and on Navigator they are the same as the "normal" suites with the addition of the butler!

Gerry

There weren't any midship PH available when we booked, so we'll be in 1006 and praying for quiet seas around the Horn. Neither of us gets seasick and if we do, we'll take Dramamine or something. In the past we've been more mid ship and on 7 or 8 so we'll see what this brings.

Archived