Baltic Port Question

BillC

One of the things that we have liked about Azamara is their ability to dock very close to the center of cities. We are on the Baltic cruise next June and I have been trying to find out about where we'll dock, so I can arrange tours for my group.

I have just gotten a response from Corporate guest relations that says we MAY dock at the Lt. Schmidt pier downtown, OR we may dock at the industrial port, which is far out of town, and has a 2 km walk to get to the gate, with no public transportation.

Why can't Azamara be more definite than this?

I don't want to speak for Azamara, but we had the same thing happen to us in Shanghai. From what I understand, it is up to the port authorities and not the cruise line.

It also might depend on which ship arrives in port first. When approaching Hong Kong, the captain informed us that he was trying to beat another cruise ship to port to give us the best view of the laser show in Hong Kong harbor. He was able to barely beat the ship (I think it was Silversea) and we had the best berth in Hong Kong harbor. This is just one example of how the Azamara crew seems to do all that they can for their passengers. Good luck with your cruise!

I'm shocked by the title of your post

You have been on quite a few cruises in addition to the fact that you did or still do work in the travel industry.

You are not a new cruiser by any means and you should know better than to make such an inflammatory statement.

Even the best laid plans and assurances from port authorities days, weeks and months in advance means NOTHING until the moment

your are tied up shoreside or the tender has been given clearance to be deployed and boarded with passengers.

To call this false advertising IS WRONG, overly dramatic and unfair to Azamara or any other cruiseline.

BillC,

I know you are referring to your port call in St. Petersburg since we have also taken an Azamara Baltic cruise.

We were scheduled to port at the new cruise complex and a night before our arrival we were thrilled to learn that we were docking at Lt. Schmidt pier. FYI, Lt. Schmidt's pier is just a tie up with Russian customs and immigration alongside.

The industrial complex you are referring to includes the relatively new cruise terminals. It has full access for all docking ships and is accessible to busses and cabs. You will not need to walk 2 K's to get to your tour.

You can google the complex and see that it is fully accessible.

It is not as convenient to be sure, but every reputable tour company will tell you that they will meet your group terminal side.

The island complex is a joint partnership with Gensler, a US architectural firm, which is also the largest architecture firm in the world.

I am sorry that you either misunderstood the Azamara rep or were given incorrect information.

One of the things that we have liked about Azamara is their ability to dock very close to the center of cities. We are on the Baltic cruise next June and I have been trying to find out about where we'll dock, so I can arrange tours for my group.

I have just gotten a response from Corporate guest relations that says we MAY dock at the Lt. Schmidt pier downtown, OR we may dock at the industrial port, which is far out of town, and has a 2 km walk to get to the gate, with no public transportation.

How is this false advertising? Are you just trying to attract attention to your post by putting a misleading title on it? Seems like that to me.

DON

Hi Bill,

I agree with the others - I feel your thread title is quite misleading, and I've updated it. Azamara has the luxury of (at times) docking where the mega ships cannot, and it gives them more flexibility. In other situations, the berthing assignments can be changed at the last minute by the port authorities, which means - what Azamara tells you today, may be inaccurate tomorrow. This is not Azamara's fault. While it cannot be guaranteed, I'm confident that Azamara will try their best to get the ship into the most convenient location.

Another item to consider, is that Local Tour Guides know their ports well, and should be able to adjust for whatever port the Ship docks at.

Your sailing is 7 months from now. My advice to you, is to contact Azamara again a month before your sailing. Perhaps they can offer updated information, which should prove to be more accurate. I hope it all works out for you. Good Luck !

Sorry if I upset anyone but I did put a question mark after the title of the original post.

Thanks for the update on improved facilities at the industrial port. I did research several sites, which apparently gave me less than tyhe latest news about the improvements.

Archived