Last minute booking

SMURF57

Hi - Can anybody give their thoughts regarding last minute booking and prices. I agree that you may not get your desired cabin/rating, but does the cost decrease dramatically.

We have met several travellers on cruises who would not book any other way.

Thanks very much

Totally depends on the ship & how well it is selling...my Jewel cruise coming up has had some fantastic last minute pricing...incl. a suite gty for $599pp...other cruises I have booked early and watched the price climb higher & higher as we neared sailing...cruises in early Dec. do "SEEM" to go for very good prices even last minute...but you just never know...

Our last 3 cruises have seen dramatic price drops for new bookings after final payment date, so we've decided to risk it next year and book 6-8 weeks out :eek:. I've booked the time off work and will go with the best value cruise (and separate flight) out of Malaga, Rome, Venice or Barcelona. Hope I don't get my fingers burnt!:). It helps that we've already been to most of the ports and don't really mind which ship or cabin

Hi - Can anybody give their thoughts regarding last minute booking and prices. I agree that you may not get your desired cabin/rating, but does the cost decrease dramatically.

Thanks very much

When we decided that a balcony or JS was no longer necessary to make a cruise a great vacation for us we decided to become bargain shoppers. Our thinking was that since we are able to cruise last minute there might be some lower rates and we might be able to cruise more often. We were right! Senior discounts, state resident discounts, next cruise certificates and good TA's have been very good to us to save us money cruising with RCL. Now we rarely even check prices until after final payment when the good price drops start unless we happen to be cruising with family or friends and want specific cabins or a specific cruise date. Have we missed out on some cruises we would have liked to go on? Sure, but there are other vacation options. We also have the choice of paying more if we decide we really want to go on a certain cruise. The key is to have the time to check rates daily or more often after final payment for any cruise you might want to take and have a TA who is available 7 days/week via email who appreciates your business. Prices change not only daily but can change in the middle of the day and be gone the next morning. (Usually weekends are less.)

Some examples of cruises we have taken since we started bargain shopping: 11 night Grandeur Southern Caribbean repo Balt to Tampa (1 way flight for us) $249/pp/inside we picked (not guarantees) less $200 OBC & $50 OBC from TA; 9 night Enchantment Thanksgiving 2010 Caribbean cruise @ $329/pp/for double inside cabins we picked and quads were less (forget price) less $200 OBC each cabin & $50 from TA; 6 night Grandeur FLL to Panama City, Panama - $199/pp/inside we picked less $100 OBC for Next Cruise and $40 from TA. (I'm not bragging here... just trying to give the OP an example of what is possible with some serious shopping.)

Please come back and tell us if you decide to give it a try!

Thanks very much

Depends a lot on where and when you want to travel. Also, if you have flexibility to change dates if needed.

Our Australian cruise was sold out 4 months prior to departure. I booked an inside and was thinking I'd try to save and upgrade to a balcony. Checked daily and there really were no cabins left.

Our Feb. cruise coming up on the Star has increased over $300 for the cabin since I booked it. Yes, it might come down again but I have the pleasure of being confirmed on the ship I want on the dates I want.

Our repo on the Jewel, almost one year out has extremely limited availability. I'm glad I snagged our aft cabin early.

Once we retire and have more flexibility, I will look at some last minute cruises.

So, it all depends on how fixed you are with your dates.

Thanks very much

Hi,

I have read some posts that the posters got some very good prices at the 'last minute bookings' - but I also can give you an example of the prices going up.

I have been watching prices for Dec 10 , 2011 sailing on Navigator of the Seas. Few months ago inside cat. PR was going for 619 plus taxes and port charges, about a month ago it showed up one day at 469, about a week ago none was available, today ( 13 days before sailing) was listed at about 800 plus taxes. No balconies and suites were available. So who knows if the price will drop or go up - depends on supply and demand.

Huge thanks to all who have taken time to reply. I certainly understand now that you have got to be flexible both in timing and destination -(we are self employed - so no prob there). Also I now understand that its far better if there are no flights involved - as these generally always go up.

We are in the UK - and would be looking at Southampton departures. I think for our midsummer cruise 2012 we will certainly hold back our booking and see whats available past final payment day.

A little uncertainty also increases the excitement factor as to where we will be going (so long as its not staying at home - lol)

Thanks again.

Archived