zenith and horizon question

pilewski

i heard (probably from this board) that zenith and horizon were adding balconies on some cabins. does anyone know the status of the renovations? i'm thinking of a bermuda trip this summer but the wife wants a balcony.

9/95 Seaward

7/97 Zenith

6/98 Century

2/99 Galaxy

2/01 Galaxy

8/01 Nordic Empress

2/02 Millenium

10/18 Century

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2003;10;18;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Hiicon_smile.gif I think they recently started the balconies on the Horizon (One of them). I don't think the rest will be completed until the end of the year...going into 2005.

She is going into drydock in Oct or Nov...I think.

I can't give you any information about Zenith...Danno, you are sailing her in the fall..any news on balconies?

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

I heard that they might sell the Horizon, if that's the case I wonder if they are considering selling the Zenith as well. This might just be a rumor but it came from the staff captain of the Horizon.

Toni

icon_eek.gif Oh really Toni? He told your parents that they might sell her??

I know Danno will be very upset if that rumor is true icon_frown.gif...at least I will get to sail her in Sept...to see if all the wonderful things he says about her are true icon_smile.gif.

I hope (if they sell her) it won't be between now and when I leave!

Yes, he told them that it was going to cost about twelve million to refurbish her and they were considering selling her instead. It won't be before you sail her, I guess it will be decided when she goes into dry dock. My parents said the ship was not full and that's why many people on board got upgrades. I guess they can't make money if she's not sailing at full or close to full capacity. I hate to see her go!! Maybe they will find it will be worth it to fix her up and keep her.

Toni

Hi Toniicon_smile.gif I'm not proud icon_wink.gif....IF they want to give me an upgrade...I wouldn't say no....

Anyway..I am glad I will be able to sail her...and I do hope you will end up going with us too icon_biggrin.gif

Word from the officer's on the 3/1 sailing was definitely refurb and she had been running full for including our sailing so I would be shocked to see her sold off. She is a fantastic ship and possibly the best crew ever. Following is a link to her first balcony which was installed during our sailing! They will not be installed until drydock after the Bermuda season but should be done before the move back to Tampa if the prototype meets expectations.

Horizon's First Balcony 3/04

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=viewall&albumID=125594606

Donna

Cruise Total: 8 Dawn Princess 12/8/01, Dawn Princess 8/19/02, Celebrity Century - 1/04/03, Carnival Fascination 5/2/03 Celebrity Horizon 3/1/04

Hi Donnaicon_smile.gif I tried to click onto your site...it won't let me icon_frown.gif it is saying an error has occured and I do not appear to be the "owner of this album"....would love to see your photo though!

Hi Lois,

That is wierd but it has happened before. They just opened for me so if you try again and they don't open then I'll email them to you.

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=viewall&albumID=125594606

Donna

Cruise Total: 8 Dawn Princess 12/8/01, Dawn Princess 8/19/02, Celebrity Century - 1/04/03, Carnival Fascination 5/2/03 Celebrity Horizon 3/1/04

Hi Lois,

They are on their way! Kreinkrunker (sp?) has some great inside shots that you will find a link to on one of the earlier posts about the refurb.

Donna

I heard the Horizon is getting balconies in November after Bermuda and Zenith in the spring before Bermuda. Been on Horizon to Bermuda before and will be again this fall. They just want the balconies because they found they can charge more. It's all about the money.

Horizon, 9/5/04, Sapphire Princess, 6/13/004 ?

Zuiderdam-2003, Constellation -2003, Infinity-2002, Vision of the Seas-2002,

Mercury-2001, Norwegian Sky-2000, Horizon-2000, Ryndam-1999, Grand Princess-1999, Westerdam-1998, Grand Princess-1998, Oriania-1997

1985-1996-3-HAL, 1-RCCL, 2-NCL, 11-Princess, 1-Royal, 1-Cunard

Hi Lois, I'm with you, I wouldn't say no to the upgrade fairy! I'm still planning on sailing in September with you all. I only have about a month and a half to go now before I sail. I don't think it will be a problem to book while I'm onboard. I'll just have to set that snotty red headed woman straight, maybe with some luck she'll be on holiday!!

Toni

The March 12 sailing was full--no cabin changes possible. We are glad to have been on the Horizon before all the change are made. I have heard they will be taking away some of the rear deck areas which would be a shame. It takes a certain kind of cruiser to truly appreciate the Horizon. To each his (or her) own.

for Richard-

when is it NOT about the money? do you think they're in business to lose money or give away a product? it happens to be a feature that many people will not cruise without these days and make a wonderful ship even better so why the cynicism? just asking...

"live long and prosper...so you may cruise!"

I hate to throw a monkey wrench in this but there has been no announcement from Celebrity that they are putting balconies on the ships. I realize they put a test balcony and all the rumors are out there, many have not been true. These rumors have come from supposed high ranking officers, etc.

As I stated there has been no announcement from Celebrity and also the ship is scheduled for a 12 day dry dock and not a month. I would suggest that no one count their chickens before they hatch. I just can't see them adding a whole deck of balconies, specialty restaurants and everything else in 12 days.

I'll believe it when I see it and yes I have seen pictures of the test balcony, that is not the point. Just trying to be realistic.

Don

Hi Lois,

I sometimes have trouble viewing pictures on this board. Someone once said to turn-off the fire wall on our computer, and it worked! Maybe you have a similar problem. Nancy

Century-Eastern Caribbean 11/00

Galaxy-Ultimate Caribbean 11/02

Zenith-Bermuda

10/03

Century-Western Caribbean 01/04

Horizon-Bermuda

10/04

Archived