Questions about Silversea! Why are you hooked?

beita123

Hi guys. I am about to embark on the Silver Shadow out of Perth Feb 23,2012. I am trying to get excited about my cruise and I really want to ask some questions. What makes Silversea special to you? Do they have a galley lunch? Dinner under the stars? a complementary shore excursion? good food? great service? I would appreciate your kind opinions.

We agree with duct tape. We have even learned phrases in Tagalog and Hindi among other languages to be able to greet the crew. They do appreciate it.

Most shore excursions are not included which is a good thing in my opinion since they are never crowded. If the town is not an easy walking distance from the dock, SS frequently has a free shuttle bus.

The size of the ships is also one of the good things -- it's much more relaxing when you don't have to stand in line for anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Excuse me for expressing an opinion in response to Oceania. I've been trying my best to book a cruise with that company, but there is no way I can hit the send button after doing a bit of research. There are certain things one becomes accustomed to on SS that would make it too much a stretch to book O and it begins with paying $20 to pop a cork. The list is too long.

Hi beita123:

Perhaps the best was of expressing why so many of us are as you say "hooked".... isn't about the things like dining under the stars, galley lunches, etc.

IMO this is because in the luxury cruise business once one company announces what they feel is a good enhancement to their product, you can bet that within the month the others will probably follow (except perhaps for all-inclusive shore excursions which has its' downside).... It is basically this................ "Welcome Home!!!"

It is all about the crew and the welcome you will get. Even as a first-timer I assure you that within a day or so you will experience the familiarity and personalized treatment. Its' tough to beat.

Unlike air travel and even despite ones elite status, you will hardly ever experience what I am referring to as that "Welcome Home" feeling that you will get on Silversea.

Safe travels!

Captain F:

It is really amazing to anticipate a wonderfull experience when you hear it from someone else. We have done Crystal and Seabourn and it is difficult to imagine other cruise lines delivering as much as Seabourn. We picked Silversea for the itinerary. Even though its going to take us 3 days to get to WA. Thank you very much for your kind reply.

This is why I am hooked on Silversea:

You know when you log onto the cruisecritic website and it brings you to the home page? Then you click on the "Boards" tab that then lists all the individual cruise lines?

Before you choose the "Silversea" option, on the right hand side you can see a running thread of questions posted by all kinds of travelers on every ship listed. They usually have titles like, "Has anyone successfully smuggled booze onboard" or "Where do I get a rum runner" or "Can I dine in the MDR with a t-shirt" or "DH doesn't own a suit" or "Underpants; wouldn't it be fun if we attended the blog meeting only wearing underpants with suspenders?"...I'm not making up any of these...

Well, I haven't done any scientific research nor have I collected any true data but I am willing to bet that the average SS cruiser reads these threads' and secretly thinks to themselves, "Thank God I am not sailing on that ship". Just a guess.

THAT is why I am HOOKED on SILVERSEA.

Anita

This is why I am hooked on Silversea:

You know when you log onto the cruisecritic website and it brings you to the home page? Then you click on the "Boards" tab that then lists all the individual cruise lines?

Before you choose the "Silversea" option, on the right hand side you can see a running thread of questions posted by all kinds of travelers on every ship listed. They usually have titles like, "Has anyone successfully smuggled booze onboard" or "Where do I get a rum runner" or "Can I dine in the MDR with a t-shirt" or "DH doesn't own a suit" or "Underpants; wouldn't it be fun if we attended the blog meeting only wearing underpants with suspenders?"...I'm not making up any of these...

Well, I haven't done any scientific research nor have I collected any true data but I am willing to bet that the average SS cruiser reads these threads' and secretly thinks to themselves, "Thank God I am not sailing on that ship". Just a guess.

THAT is why I am HOOKED on SILVERSEA.

Anita

Oh my! Thanks for a great laugh, Anita!!

Karin,

Heck, yah, I'm a snob then because I would have to be totally out of my mind to attend ANY meeting in my underpants OR use a rum runner, OR figure out how to get out of tipping OR wear a t-shirt to dinner or lunch for that matter OR ...well, you get the idea :)

Now, with enough alcohol...I AM KIDDING!!!!

Happy sailing everyone...155 days for me!!

Anita

LOL....I remember my first cruise when I was a little girl...39 years ago. So true. You are so right! What is so amazing is that luxury cruises often end up being less expensive that their mainstream cruises. Take for instance Carnival as opossed to Seabourn....same company.....totally different experience. I have to say that my husband and I will probably be the youngest SNOBS on our voyage :).... I wonder what we will want next......hope to see some of you on our Feb 23rd voyage!

I'm not hooked on any cruise line. If someone wants to go on another ship that I haven't been one, I am ready.

Silversea however has the best service that I have seen on a cruise ship.

They also have the best food.

Example of Service: On Celebrity I have had to wait in a line for an omelet or eggs cooked and stand there for my order while it is being cooked once I get to my turn. On Silversea, I walk up place my order and the person cooking just tells me to have a seat and it is brought to me. No line to stand in to place the order and then just sit down. That is service.

Cabin steward will shine shoes, probably wash socks if asked or get anything else you want. Bring whatever spirits you want kept in your cabin to you.

There is very little waiting on a drink ordered even when the waiter has to go to different decks to achieve the order.

I love the galley brunch which is a neat idea where you actually get a galley tour while getting food. Very nice idea.

The Hot rocks under the stars is very nice also. The barbacue on deck was not as crowded as on Celebrity ship. I even avoided it because of too crowded on the Millennium. The Millennium did do a brunch one day that was very nice, but food not quite as good as Silversea.

Now I still like Celebrity's Millennium class ships becaues of the cabins veranda view of stern corner cabins with the 270 deg view. Service is not as good and lines have to be tolerated.

• 2 weeks later...

Joe: Sound like Azamara to me.....I'm hooked on Azamara and my family only cruise Silverseas.......have you tried Azamara? The only difference I can see is the non stop alcohol, which I am not interested in. Service, no lines and "welcome home", fabulous food and no formal nights make it my line of choice.

Joe: Sound like Azamara to me.....I'm hooked on Azamara and my family only cruise Silverseas.......have you tried Azamara? The only difference I can see is the non stop alcohol, which I am not interested in. Service, no lines and "welcome home", fabulous food and no formal nights make it my line of choice.

Albert,

You will notice that I cruised on R-4 in 1999. I think the Azamara are the same ships that were Renn ships. They are great ships and the only problem was management of them. The stern cabins were very nice and after seeing a deck layout would probably want one of those. This is Celebrity's upgrade cruise ship and being smaller should be a little more expensive then my favorite Millennium class, excellent. We leave on the Silver Cloud next month. The service and food on the Silversea ships is the best, but the cabins on Millennium class are the best. Azamara, I can't remember about the corner stern cabins if they had a veranda with a 270 degree view like the Millennium class ships.

Joe, I can assure you that Azamara is a far different offering than Rennaissance ever was!

A recent post on the Azamara boards comparing the two says

"

Having just returned from the Silver Spirit, I feel I am in a good position to comment. I can honestly say that I enjoyed Azamara better. The cabins on the Spririt were fantastic, far better than either Quest or Journey and I did like the white chocolate martinis. However the crew on AZ beat Spirit hands down and although food is subjective, it was far better on both AZ ships than on Spirit and so is the service. AZ cruises tend to be less expensive than Silversea so you can afford to buy your spirits and cocktails. As previously mentioned decent table wines are served with meals and no carrying a tux and evening dress along. The main dining room is the same whereby you can eat at any time and can join another people only if you wish but you do need to make reservations for the speciality restaurants. "

So she rates the service and food higher on Azamara! I really would suggest it is worth a trial....

Joe, I can assure you that Azamara is a far different offering than Rennaissance ever was!

A recent post on the Azamara boards comparing the two says

"

Having just returned from the Silver Spirit, I feel I am in a good position to comment. I can honestly say that I enjoyed Azamara better. The cabins on the Spririt were fantastic, far better than either Quest or Journey and I did like the white chocolate martinis. However the crew on AZ beat Spirit hands down and although food is subjective, it was far better on both AZ ships than on Spirit and so is the service. AZ cruises tend to be less expensive than Silversea so you can afford to buy your spirits and cocktails. As previously mentioned decent table wines are served with meals and no carrying a tux and evening dress along. The main dining room is the same whereby you can eat at any time and can join another people only if you wish but you do need to make reservations for the speciality restaurants. "

So she rates the service and food higher on Azamara! I really would suggest it is worth a trial....

Albert,

I was just commenting on the ship. I'm sure Celebrity's premium line has better service than Ren had. Ren had poor management and that is why they went under. Now the ships ride very well and are beautiful and I love the ship.

I haven't been on the Azamara since this was under Celebrity. Nice to here it seems to be better than Silversea in one opinion.

Archived