Do you bring your GPS on a cruise ?

AlainBob

ericosmith: Quick question as to the navigation program you spoke of. I downloaded SeaClear but it does not recognize my Delorme Earthmate USB GPS. Do I need to also have navigational maps installed and if so do you know of any free ones available for download. Interested in maps for a transcanal cruise starting in Ft. Lauderdale and ending up in San Francisco.

I have both Delorme Street Atlas and MS Streets & Trips and they show portions of South America. I'm just not sure what type of information I will get by using a US road map. I downloaded SeaClear but even after reading the PDF user manual I am very confused as how to use the program. Google searches have not come up with any 'free' navigational programs to use with SeaClear. At this point it looks like I'm out of luck other than relying on the basic maps.

If you're considering a GPS purchase visit a local sporting goods store and look at the various Magellan and Garmin models. You'll quickly find a favorite.

And do a little research on the web, where you can read about the various models and compare pricing.

And do a little research on the web, where you can read about the various models and compare pricing.

Here is a good place to start: Geocaching forum site. In there, you will find a lot of information on almost any models on the market... You will also notice that if someone have a Garmin GPS, he/she will probably highly recommend a Garmin GPS... and if someone have a Magellan GPS, he/she will probably highly recommend a Magelland GPS... There are many pros and cons for each... it depends on what you want to do with it. Take the time to read about each models, determine a price range you would be willing to pay and make your choice...

There are other brands: Lowrance, Brunton, Geko... But the two major brands are Garmin and Magellan.

Personnaly, I took the time to read these forums for a couple of months before making my choice on a Magellan Meridian Gold. It might not be the best GPS of the world but it is the one that is best for me...

Alain R.

Here is a good place to start: Geocaching forum site. In there, you will find a lot of information on almost any models on the market... You will also notice that if someone have a Garmin GPS, he/she will probably highly recommend a Garmin GPS... and if someone have a Magellan GPS, he/she will probably highly recommend a Magelland GPS... There are many pros and cons for each... it depends on what you want to do with it. Take the time to read about each models, determine a price range you would be willing to pay and make your choice...

There are other brands: Lowrance, Brunton, Geko... But the two major brands are Garmin and Magellan.

Personnaly, I took the time to read these forums for a couple of months before making my choice on a Magellan Meridian Gold. It might not be the best GPS of the world but it is the one that is best for me...

Alain R.

Thanks!! Seems so complicated!

ericosmith: Quick question as to the navigation program you spoke of. I downloaded SeaClear but it does not recognize my Delorme Earthmate USB GPS. Do I need to also have navigational maps installed and if so do you know of any free ones available for download. Interested in maps for a transcanal cruise starting in Ft. Lauderdale and ending up in San Francisco.

SeaClear along with just abput any other GPS software is going to use NEMA input. NEMA is a serial interface. My guess is that you do not have the com port emulation drivers installed with your Earthmate. You can download them from their website if need be. Once you do that you should be able to assign your Earthmate to a com port that can be used by Streets and Trips, SeaClear, etc. For SeaClear, you would go into "tools" "properties" and click the com tab and make sure it's set up for the same port and speed as your earthmate. You probably would need to do the same thing for Streets and Trips.

I didn't spend a lot of time looking for free charts, it was getting close to time to leave when I did all this. I ended up purchasing charts from www.marineplanner.com . The more charts you purchase the cheaper they are. I believe you could download any 10 charts for something like $44.

I bought a Garmin Etrex Legend before our last cruise. I'm not an outdoors person, so I think I'll only use it on cruises, but it was still worth it. My DH and teens thought I was a little weird, but we've never had so much fun on an airplane before. It's fun to track where you are.

I had tons of fun on the cruise with it. We had an outside room and I just propped it up on some books and a Tshirt in the window sill. Every once in a while I'd just need to bunch up the Tshirt a little different. We were on a Mexican Riviera cruise and there was a tropical storm. I found it fascinating to see how we serpentined around the Sea of Cortez all day to avoid the storm.

I also used rechargeable batteries and recommend them to save a lot of money.

I'm thinking about upgrading to the Garmin Legend C (color model) Anyone using it?

jollymon: I recently purchased Legend C, after several years with Legend. Tremendous improvements, esp USB connection. Battery life seems longer, unit seems more stable. My Legend got to the point where I couldn't download software upgrades, it got hung up in the middle of a download. Thought I would only purchase unit w/ removeable memory, then saw the Legend C. Would recommend it.

budcann...

do you use any detailed map software with it? What?

I hear I may have to spend a bunch of money on another detailed map CD. (City Select?) I have MAPSOURCE METROGUIDE, does that work in the LEGEND C? Can you load more maps than the old Legend model?

Thanks! :)

• 1 month later...

I have a Garmin GPS and would like to see if anyone can tell me how far off shore the basemap goes. I will be on the Regal in January 06 from Rio to Valpo and would like to track our course around South America. Anyone have any resources for city maps in South America? Having a GPS in a port of call would be invaluable.

• 3 months later...
Looking for a unit that is good for geocaching, has color, streets, and can have maps available for the caribbean.

Thanks

Magellan and Garmin are the two most popular brands. You can do a little research on the web, maybe visit a local store to hold them in your hands. Then you'll know which one you want.

Paul, I appreciate your help. I have been doing some research on both Garmin and Magellan for about two to three weeks. The electronic stores in my area carry on one, maybe two units. Every post that I have read on these and GPS forums don't help at all. Everyone pretty much tells others to get the unit that they have. They don't really give any supportive reasoning. What I would really like is a website that compares both Garmin and Magellan against one another. Maybe that's a good place to start? I don't know. Thanks

Hi All,

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 76C. I take it aboard and it works great. It comes with a world basemap wich is not in great detail, but it does show a good portion of the Caribbean.

I chose this model since it also has On-the-Fly routing (highly detailed maps are availible for an additional cost). So when I am crusing in my car, it has the same abilities as the factory installed car models.

I also found this site since my last cruise. The maps here look pretty good for the Caribbean.

HTH...

We have a Garmin eTrex Legend C (the C stands for Color). We took it on our big trip to the British Isles this year (cruise plus land vacation) and I was VERY glad we had it as we were trying to find our way around the English countryside. My only complaint about it is that it doesn't have enough memory and there's no way to add more to it or buy extra chips to plug into it to hold extra maps or anything like that. The turn-by-turn direction software takes up a LOT of memory, much more than I had considered when I bought our unit. Other than that, I really like our unit, it's small enough to carry with us when we're touring a city so we can figure out where in the heck we are, and it can mount on our car's dashboard and give us turn-by-turn directions too.

We got great GPS reception on our uncovered balcony, but no reception as soon as we brought it through the sliding glass door. Our cruise was pretty rainy so we really didn't get to use it onboard all that much. But it was very handy in the ports.

Calikak

From you last posting, I assume that I do not want the Garmin Etrex Legend C. I say this because I do not want to have memory space problems. I want to either be able to download all I desire, or have memory cards I can label and utilize when needed.

Steve 2001,

Thanks for the help. I have been looking at this one for about a week now.

Maybe a good way is to deduct all the units that I know I do not want and I can make a decision on the one that is left??? Appreciate all the input, everyone keep writing. I need all the pros and cons to your units. Again, I will post what I am looking for.

I want a portable unit. I want the ability to use this unit happily both on land/hiking and for street navigational purposes. A unit that has the ability to talk would be fun. Also, color is an important option. I also want the ability to either have a lot of info. on the unit or have the ability to insert the desired media into the unit via memory card. Price isn't the biggest concern on the unit, in other words, I'm not looking for the cheapest, because I won't get my options.

Keep em coming!!!

Cruiseseeker,

How about the iQue M5? This unit will provide the additional memory slot the GPSMAP 76C does not have. It will also have the PDA feature and Windows Mobile software and a bigger screen. The iQue M5 also includes the City Select North America CD with a full unlock (~$160. value).

Thanks for your help Steve2001. Who makes the iQue M5? I will do a search and see what I can find.

Keep them coming!!! I've been approved by the wife to purchase, I just want to make sure it's the right one.

Also want to purchase something in the next week before she changes her mind.

I've been approved by the wife to purchase, I just want to make sure it's the right one.

Also want to purchase something in the next week before she changes her mind.

Too Funny:D :D :D

Anyway, Garmin makes the iQue. They offer 2 flavours with the options you are looking for:

M5 and the M3

Everyone pretty much tells others to get the unit that they have. They don't really give any supportive reasoning. What I would really like is a website that compares both Garmin and Magellan against one another. Maybe that's a good place to start? I don't know. Thanks

The "problem" is that both Garmin and Magellan make very good GPS receivers. :) Both have been in the business a long time. Maybe it's like comparing similar classes of Honda versus Toyota. Very subjective. Can't go wrong with either manufacturer.

Also, they each make a gazillion kinds of GPS receivers.

How important is size? (contain yourselves, ladies:rolleyes:) Do you need it to talk? How many waypoints? (Answer: not that many.)

I just bought a $700 talking Garmin for the car. Really cool, color, finds restaurants, etc. But it doesn't drop electronic breadcrumbs so I can't retrace my route if I took it off-road - which I don't. It's portable and attaches to the windshield with a suction cup, and plugs into the lighter. Fun. Downloads maps, etc. Wife loves it too.

My ancient GPS III, however (see ebay: $75-150 used) is great, too, and it does drop breadcrumbs. I love the little black and white graphic map. For marking fishing spots in the ocean, it's fantastic. I can easily mark a spot, what for a minute, and see how the boat is drifting over the bottom. Rugged, easy to use, and I've had it 5-6 years. Yup, eats batteries like Doritos, but that's why I use NIMH rechargables. I can't upload or download maps. But if I go in the woods, or go fishing, it does everything I need. That's the one I take on airplanes and cruises, btw.

So I'd say, pick a budget, think about how you will use it, go look at a few, maybe search the web for ugly or good comments about that model number and if there are a MOUNTAIN of complaints about a particular unit, avoid it. Otherwise, get one that looks cool and has intuitive menus, butons or touch screen. BTW, look at the display in sunlight with polarized sunglasses to see if you can still read it.

Oh, BTW, you NEED a GPS! :) <-----(In case you needed a little push.);)

Thanks Steve and Roboat for the quick info.

I know I can get approved for one unit, BUT in that one unit I want the best of both worlds. I want to geocache, track the boat, and I want it it give me directions in unfamiliar cities and streets. If they don't make a unit that does that, maybe that's our cue to put our funds and resources together and do just that??? I'm going to do some more research on the Ique M5. I also want expandable memory or a unit with enough memory for all needs??? Thanks for the help. Again, Keep 'em comin'.

I have a Magellan Meridian Gold (no color) and I love it. I used it on our last cruise and it was great. Many people on board asked me what I was doing with that little thing... :) I can put an SD memory card in it. Actually, I have a 256 Mb card with all the East coast of Canada and USA (from the province of Quebec to Florida). I do not have detailed maps of the Caribbean but I really do not need them...

If you want a site where you can read many reviews and opinions about almost every brand of GPS out there, take a look at Geocaching.com and go to the forum section.

The image I have attached with this post is the actual track of our last cruise. I also have all the tracks of our land excursions on the islands. And if you want to do some geocaching, let me tell you that many Caribbean Islands have caches that you can search. I found one in Dominica...

Have fun with your GPS !

Alain R.

Cruise2005.jpg.d72b2c2fbc2d5f3ee3d738002e4683d9.jpg

I have been doing some research on both Garmin and Magellan for about two to three weeks. The electronic stores in my area carry on one, maybe two units.

We went to the local outdoors store and, like you said, they only had a few models. We learned enough there that we wanted color. I eventually chose a Magellan Meridian Color. The color screen is great, but hard to read in direct sunlight. Battery life is okay, I use NiMH rechargeables to keep the costs down.

I had a lot of fun with the GPS on two Caribbean cruises. Then I bought a memory card and MapSend Direct Route for street mapping and directions. It doesn't talk to you like the more expensive units, instead it beeps (slow, then faster) as you approach your turn.

I don't know what your budget is, and I haven't done any research on current models. I do hear some favorable talk about a TomTom unit, but don't know much beyond that.

If your budget goes to $700 or so I'd get one of the units that is portable but can also sit on the dashboard of your car. If you budget is less, get a handheld unit w/the mapping software.

Archived