Do you bring your GPS on a cruise ?

AlainBob

I want to geocache, track the boat, and I want it it give me directions in unfamiliar cities and streets. ... I also want expandable memory or a unit with enough memory for all needs??? Thanks for the help. Again, Keep 'em comin'.

Both the GPSMAP76C, iQue M3 and M5 will suit your needs. However, the 76C is NOT expandable in memory. I have not had too much a problem with this. When i am going on a trip that takes me out of my general area, I add aditional maps as needed (and delete map I will not need). With that being said, the general area I have loaded is southeastern PA, DE, NJ, northeast MD, southeast NY, southern CT, RI and south FL. The 76C also has a world base map which contains all major roads. What i am getting at is, IMO the expandable memory slot is not a huge feature.

I have always used Garmin products. I am sure Magellan is just as good. I think its like Ford vs. Chevy, you will not go wrong with either product.

I don't know what your budget is, and I haven't done any research on current models. I do hear some favorable talk about a TomTom unit, but don't know much beyond that.

If your budget goes to $700 or so I'd get one of the units that is portable but can also sit on the dashboard of your car. If you budget is less, get a handheld unit w/the mapping software.

My budget could easily be that high. THe problem is, I'm looking for a unit to meet all the needs previously posted. What units were you thinking about that would meet the needs? Thanks for the help. Keep 'em comin'.

I've got the Garmin iQue 3600 (GPS built in to PDA). I've never taken full advantage of all of its features, but it does not have replaceable batteries. The internal batter can be charged in a stand in the car, hooked to computer or plugged into the wall. I don't think it would work to well on a cruise.

BTW, what are these caches and bugs that you are referring to?

BTW, what are these caches and bugs that you are referring to?

Geocaching. A family friendly way to get out and discover hidden treasure all over the world. Chances are there are some locted within a few minutes of your home. There are also geocaches at lots of ports of call. They are a good way to get off the beaten path and discover some of the lesser known places on the islands. We are leaving on our cruise in less than 2 weeks. I already have about 10 geocaches lined up for us to go find.

http://www.geocaching.com/

From the home page you can learn all about geocaching and search for geocache locations anywhere in the world.

I want to thank the person who started this thread. I have taken my legend on cruises before and enjoyed it, but this geo-cache thing sounds cool. I can't wait to get started.

Does anyone konw if there is a USB cable for connecting my leged to a PC? I have a serial connection now, but would really like a USB cable. I like my legend and would hate to have to buy a new GPSr.

Received my Garmin 76CS yesterday and I will be taking it on the boat. It is an amazing piece of equipment and I can't wait to get it all figured out. There are so many options and things that can be done on it that it will take me until November to figure out how to use it all.

Be careful. Geocaching can become as big of an obsession as cruising. We now have to look for caches inbetween shore excursions. We left a travel bug in St. Thomas last year that is currently in New Mexico. We hope it gets back home to us in time to leave it in Hawaii on our cruise this winter. It's a little dog and his name is Tom Cruiser!

• 3 months later...

Geocachi, We are supposed to be going to Costa Maya, Belize (our time at this port is from 6:30am to 1:30 not sure if we will have time to do anything), Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I have a couple on our watchlist for the Caymens and Costa Maya. :) Any help would be appreciated.

Cheryl

Cheryl,

If you go to the geocachingcruises web site, click on "Port/Cache Info" then click on Western Caribbean, you'll see a list of places you'll be visiting. Costa Maya has a new cache that was just recently put out by some geocachers who work on a Carvinal ship. The other cache near the ruins is probaby best if you go to while on an organized shore excursion, since you time is limited. Don't want to miss the ship!! There are several good caches on Grand Cayman. You've got to go "Too Hell and Back", just so you can tell people you've been there. That's a sure fire conversation starter at dinner with your "muggle" dinner partners. In Coz I hear "A Little Taste of Italy" is fun.

Google Earth with the "KML Code" from GeoCaching.com is a GREAT way to see the islands and caches available. The Google Earth picture on the GeoCaching Cruises site is just a "snap shot overview".

Hopefully this is helpful.

What's your Geocaching name? I watch a number of caches in the Caribbean, so I'll watch for your logs.

Darcy

Our geocache name is Bandito, what is your geocache name? We are hoping to rent a car on the Caymen so that we can go to "Hell" ;) We want to send postcards home from the postoffice. I will use your suggestions to see if there are others we could do. These are the ones on our watchlist...

A "Little taste of Italy" on Cozumel

Belize Glitters and Shines

Costa Maya Cruisin'

Grand Cayman Heroes

Stonewall... or the Cache is not the Thing

TO HELL AND BACK

Hey ScootPie - I'm on the Grand 2 weeks after you and am planning a doing a few geocaches too. I'll bring home any travel bugs you leave!

I use a PocketPC w/ a Bluetooth GPS and am working on getting some mapping software for the ship and the carribean.

Have a good time and get the Grand in shape for us!

Scootepie66 (aka Bandito, aka Cheryl) - Sound like you've got a good line up of caches planned.

In Belize, "Bugs In Belize" (GCJN83) seems to be a good cache for Cruise Cachers also. In Costa Maya, "King Billys Chacchoben Ruin sounds pretty cool also, if you are going there as part of a shore excursion. If you go to HELL :eek: "Franklin The Swimmer" (GCE2A4) is not far away.

I'm GeoCacheCruiser in Geocaching.com

Take pictures! When you get back let me know how your trip went. I do e-newsletter called "Cruise Caching". I occasionally use pictures and other input from people who have been on recent trips. Let me know if you want to subscribe.

Hey ScootPie - I'm on the Grand 2 weeks after you and am planning a doing a few geocaches too. I'll bring home any travel bugs you leave!

I use a PocketPC w/ a Bluetooth GPS and am working on getting some mapping software for the ship and the carribean.

Have a good time and get the Grand in shape for us!

My wife does not know I read this...What pokcet pc, gps and mapping software do you like?

Joel

Our latest GPS is a Garmin 60C (bought on Amazon). Reasonable amount of memory and good color screen but you do need to buy map software separately. Good for car use, trails and travel. Also have a Delorme Tripmate that works only with the laptop (no screen, but only cost $100 with software). Latter didn't do well on covered balconies on CB - it doesn't have an internal satelite database and needs a good view of the sky to figure out where it is.

As others have said, compare models on the web. Try GPSDiscount.com for Garmin products and gpsinformation.net has good articles and reviews on all brands. Regardless of what you buy you will probably get another later.

Once you buy a unit you will not be able to use maps from another brand. Garmin does sell navigation maps for the Caribbean, but these are very expensive since they charge by the region. They also have a product called Worldmap that gives much less detail but covers the whole world. Software and accessories can be purchased fairly cheaply on Ebay.

Archived