carrying soda on to the cruise

descovy

I'm a new cruiser, and am a little unclear how to carry soda onto the ship (ncl spirit, if that matters)

We are a family of 5, driving to port, and have more luggage tags that we need (3kids clothes don't take that much space)

My plan was to put 2 12packs of soda into a wheelie carry-on. I'm not looking to be sneaky, just ease of carrying. Is this okay? I read of others putting luggage tags on cases of water, etc.., but am unclear if I can put it in a suitcase. It will be by itself and remember, we're not flying.

If you are putting it in a suitcase, slapping a luggage tag on it and sending with the checked luggage. If it is by itself in that suitcase you may luck out and get it delivered to your room, but you also may be called to the naughty room to open the suitcase up for them to verify that it is soda. Also consider if it is in checked bag in a suitcase the baggage handlers don't know it's in there and you may have some damaged cans due to the handling.

You can slap a luggage tag on the case itself and send it that way. They'll know what it is and it should arrive in your cabin fine.

The wheelie carryon is fine as long as it will fit through their scanning machine at port security. Once onboard if your cabin is not ready there is a drop off for carryons if you don't want to lug it around with you.

I'm a new cruiser, and am a little unclear how to carry soda onto the ship (ncl spirit, if that matters)

We are a family of 5, driving to port, and have more luggage tags that we need (3kids clothes don't take that much space)

My plan was to put 2 12packs of soda into a wheelie carry-on. I'm not looking to be sneaky, just ease of carrying. Is this okay? I read of others putting luggage tags on cases of water, etc.., but am unclear if I can put it in a suitcase. It will be by itself and remember, we're not flying.

I have carried on soda and water many times, i have never had a problem and I wasn't trying to be sneaky about it. I put it in my carry on and its never been an issue. I have tried to the soda package and it just didn't work for me, good luck and happy cruising.

We carry two 12 packs of Diet Pepsi on every cruise (and then replenish at ports if necessary). I just place them on our 2 wheel little dolly with our other carry on bags. You will have to feed them through the scanner as you go through port security. This last cruise, I bought a cheap nylon luggage bag at WalMart that will hold two 12 packs easily. I put them in that and then just unzipped it for the scanner and inspectors. Then we was able to use the bag for carrying the usual souvenirs off the ship (Pepsi all gone) at end of cruise. No problem either way you wish to take it on board.

I think these are the exact same answers, given by the same people, to the last 10 times this questions was asked in the last two weeks. :)

Not exactly... I am not a big poster, but I've been reading here fairly frequently as this is my first cruise.

What I had gathered from previous posts was that

*Soda is allowed... you do not have to sneak it

*Some people plastic wrap wnd tape the luggage tape on the actual soda.

*Some people threaten that you will be placed in the "naughty room" if they catch it in your luggage

So here I am, a new cruiser... I am not even yet clear about what I can carry-on and what needs to be checked. With unfamiliar surroundings, and 3 kids and their luggage to corral, I figure I can handle it in a wheelie suitcase, but literally carrying 2 12packs (like I do at the grocery store) is not going to happen. But with stories of the "naughty room" I wanted to double check before we take off this Sunday. I have enough to manage without threat of a naughty room.

My apologies if you found my post redundant. I was just trying to clear up if my assumptions were correct...

*Some people threaten that you will be placed in the "naughty room" if they catch it in your luggage

The thing with the naughty room is not because you've done anything wrong but because they see the liquid in your enclosed bag and do not know what it is and are not allowed to open suitcases without the owner of that bag being there. Hope that clears up the naughty room situation.

I prefer to bring mine on and yes on a wheeled luggage cart. Drop it at the designated restaurant for carryons and pick it up when my cabin is ready.

But with stories of the "naughty room" I wanted to double check before we take off this Sunday. I have enough to manage without threat of a naughty room.

I was just trying to clear up if my assumptions were correct...

This is totally understandable because some threads can be back and forth numerous times. I took from your original post that you had done your research and were just clarifying.

I think these are the exact same answers, given by the same people, to the last 10 times this questions was asked in the last two weeks. :)

Actually, probably of all the questions asked on this forum have been previously asked at some time or another and are somewhere out there posted already. Using that logic, there is no point in continuing a live forum. Just shut that feature down and only leave the search engine on. I'm under the impression that most of the people that hang out here enjoy sharing their knowledge or opinions of NCL, ships, and cruising. Until CC says quit wasting band width by being redundant, what's the harm of saving a person a search. Descovy, just ask away....anything else you might be wondering about.

On my cruise on the Jewel earlier this month, I had one small suitcase packed with nothing but 2 cubes of soda(otherwise, it would have weighed too much). We checked the bag with all the others and all bags arrived to our cabin without a problem. I was prepared to go to the naughty room, just in case. However, there was never an issue.

Got called to the naughty room last cruise for my soda. No big deal. Brought my key there and they asked me what was in it since it was heavy and I said soda. They asked of there was any wine and I said no and they gave me my suitcase. I never even had to open it. My trip was very easy, but then I was not snaking anything on the ship. Have fun and bring your soda. I travel with 2 kids and understand wanting to put your soda in your rolling luggage.

Got called to the naughty room last cruise for my soda. No big deal. Brought my key there and they asked me what was in it since it was heavy and I said soda. They asked of there was any wine and I said no and they gave me my suitcase. I never even had to open it. My trip was very easy, but then I was not snaking anything on the ship. Have fun and bring your soda. I travel with 2 kids and understand wanting to put your soda in your rolling luggage.

Yes you are right if you are going to the naughty room for something that is OK to take on then you get your suitcase with no problems. However, the reason I would carry ours on in a wheely is because doing anything wrong or not, I don't want to waste any of my precious time standing in a line up to get a suitcase. As well if I wanted to carry the darn thing back to my cabin myself, I would have dragged it on with me in the first place.

We've twice brought a couple of 12-packs of cans of soda on board by duct taping them together, slapping a luggage tag on them, and giving them to the porters with our other checked luggage. Both times they were delivered to our cabin with our luggage. By keeping them out of our suitcases, there's no chance of our being summoned to the naughty room. Some pax, though, have reported that their checked soda has "disappeared," so I guess there is that risk.

I suppose wheeling it aboard is a consideration to avoid that risk, but we haven't yet done that. We have enough other stuff (electronics, cameras, etc.) that we are schlepping around. And while I have asked about this on more than one ship, I have never been on a ship where there was a location to drop off carryons until your cabin was ready. I know that others have had different experiences with this.

Have a great cruise!

We've twice brought a couple of 12-packs of cans of soda on board by duct taping them together, slapping a luggage tag on them, and giving them to the porters with our other checked luggage. Both times they were delivered to our cabin with our luggage. By keeping them out of our suitcases, there's no chance of our being summoned to the naughty room. Some pax, though, have reported that their checked soda has "disappeared," so I guess there is that risk.

I suppose wheeling it aboard is a consideration to avoid that risk, but we haven't yet done that. We have enough other stuff (electronics, cameras, etc.) that we are schlepping around. And while I have asked about this on more than one ship, I have never been on a ship where there was a location to drop off carryons until your cabin was ready. I know that others have had different experiences with this.

Have a great cruise!

I know I've said above that we have had success in the drop off location. But I've read many times where asking someone once onboard has resulted in less than success for location.

FYI check the freestyle daily before you board. Just under the Day, forecast etc on your first page. It is marked "Tip of the Day", you will probably find the location there.

We always bring bottled water and either iced tea or soda. However, we always bring plastic bottles, not cans. We pack them in the extra suitcase we bring for souveniers and check it with our luggage. We do not make the suitcase really heavy though. Just use two suitcases if you need too. They will get delivered with your other suitcases to your cabin. It is nice to have drinks at your cabin. Especially, for later at night when you don't want to make that long journey out to get a drink. Enjoy your cruise! :)

Archived