Price drop guarantee

bld44

So, I noticed that there has been a ~$100/pp price drop on my upcoming RCCL cruise. With a regular booking, I am out of the 48 hour period and have already made the final payment. Am I hosed, or is there any chance of requesting an onboard credit?

So, I noticed that there has been a ~$100/pp price drop on my upcoming RCCL cruise. With a regular booking, I am out of the 48 hour period and have already made the final payment. Am I hosed, or is there any chance of requesting an onboard credit?

Hi,

I do have a similar booking - price was reduced after final payment ( was reduced only for few hours) and when I noticed that, I called RCI reservation. The new lower price was applied to my booking and the difference went to OBC. I do thank them for this and do appreciate that. The price for the same cat. cabin went up since then and they did not charge me anything extra...... so I am happy that they did gave me OBC even that perhaps they do not have to do that.

You are pretty much hosed.

The only thing they will do for you now after final payment has been made is to upgrade. So if a higher category is available for the same price they will upgrade you.

They will longer (Since I think April) issue an OBC for price drops.

It sucks and it is why I wait till the last minute to book my trips now.

You are pretty much hosed.

The only thing they will do for you now after final payment has been made is to upgrade. So if a higher category is available for the same price they will upgrade you.

They will longer (Since I think April) issue an OBC for price drops.

It sucks and it is why I wait till the last minute to book my trips now.

Hi,

perhaps you have different information that I have.

In my case I got both - higher cat cabin ( which was priced at the time of my phone call, lower than the cat. cabin that I did have, and also the OBC. That was done on OCT 16, 2011 and it was past my final payment.

Last minute booking might or may not give you a better price - right now 10 days befor my sailing the same cabin which I did get is priced almost double what I paid.

Hi,

perhaps you have different information that I have.

In my case I got both - higher cat cabin ( which was priced at the time of my phone call, lower than the cat. cabin that I did have, and also the OBC. That was done on OCT 16, 2011 and it was past my final payment.

Last minute booking might or may not give you a better price - right now 10 days befor my sailing the same cabin which I did get is priced almost double what I paid.

Is it possible that your booking was created prior to May 17, 2010? That is the date that Royal changed the price drop policy, and bookings made before that date can get OBC for price drops up to 72 hours before the cruise.

For those that say that got obc (outside of the 48 hours) after final payment date - not the date you paid but the due date - I would not count on it unless your booking was made before May 17, 2010.

I have seen Royal apply it and then take it back due to "violation of policy."

Is it possible that your booking was created prior to May 17, 2010? That is the date that Royal changed the price drop policy, and bookings made before that date can get OBC for price drops up to 72 hours before the cruise.

Hi,

Yes, you and honeybee are correct.

My original booking date is based on the Next Cruise booked in May of 2009. The specific cruise which I am booked on now, has the same booking number and the original booking date as the Next Cruise which was booked aboard the ship.

So even that my present cruise was converted or " booked " in Sept, 2011 - the rules of previous to May 17, 2010 are applied to my present cruise.

The OP was not specific about any date so different answers were posted and probably they are all correct - depending on the booking date.

It never hurts to try to get something even after the final payment. I made my own reservations, and the 3 times I called (3 different cruises) we got $50, $100 credits and an update offer without credits.

What do you have to lose? A few minutes on a free 800 call? Ask nicely if they can do something for you as the price went down. The worst, they will say, sorry we can't do anything.

It never hurts to try to get something even after the final payment. I made my own reservations, and the 3 times I called (3 different cruises) we got $50, $100 credits and an update offer without credits.

What do you have to lose? A few minutes on a free 800 call? Ask nicely if they can do something for you as the price went down. The worst, they will say, sorry we can't do anything.

I will second this. Ask NICELY, though. And when they say no - do not get snarky. The one thing I have learned is getting nasty with Resolutions (the department that would make the exception) is a fast track to getting nowhere. They will "decision" a file and no one will make an exception. I have seen colleagues start yelling (because the client yelled at them) only to have them escalate all the way to Vicki and still get turned down.

Play nice and they are likely to do whatever they can. But keep in mind that this is one of those policies they hold fastest to. :rolleyes:

I booked two cabins on RCCL for 12/26 sailing. One cabin has gone down $750.00

Furious since Hours on the phone with RCCL netted nothing . I will never book with them again unless it is last minute . After 15 cruises , this is the worst in customer service and loyalty . Actually booked this one last year while on a RCCL Thansgiving cruise. Told would get best price but now knows that is only guarantee before your final payment which in effect makes it useless.

For those that say that got obc (outside of the 48 hours) after final payment date - not the date you paid but the due date - I would not count on it unless your booking was made before May 17, 2010.

I have seen Royal apply it and then take it back due to "violation of policy."

We booked after this date and our TA told us that RCI had a price guarantee. The price dropped and when I called he told us that RCI didn't tell him of this policy change. This mistake cost us and another couple a total of $1200! :eek:

There is no point in calling and asking, bld44.

Royal Caribbean has a very firm policy.

No refunds (whether in cash or OBC) after final payment.

Period.

You can be as nice as you want. They won't give you anything.'

If a higher category has the same or lower price than what you paid, you can call and ask to be moved to that higher category cabin. THAT they will do for you.

But no money back.

End of story.

I booked two cabins on RCCL for 12/26 sailing. One cabin has gone down $750.00

Furious since Hours on the phone with RCCL netted nothing . I will never book with them again unless it is last minute . After 15 cruises , this is the worst in customer service and loyalty . Actually booked this one last year while on a RCCL Thansgiving cruise. Told would get best price but now knows that is only guarantee before your final payment which in effect makes it useless.

All mainstream cruiselines have the same policy of no price adjustments after final payment, so to say that RCI is the worst in customer service and loyalty is simply not true.

Last minute isn't always the best way to go - I have NEVER seen a price drop on any of our 6 previous RCI cruises; only price increases. The Explorer cruise we have booked has more than doubled after final payment from the price we paid. And our upcoming Oasis booking is up $150 since we booked (this one is not yet after final payment).

I may not like it at all and prefer the old days of price matching basically anything, for a business model that depends on full capacity, I can understand why they don't want to give everyone the month-out pricing if the sailing is not doing well.

As for Christmas or NYE cruises, I see two options ... book ahead of time because it is a family vacation with a lot of planning and flights that will only go up in price, or book last minute when the near-double fares may drop but you have less choice of cabin, itinerary, flights, and perhaps family involvement.

The real rule is ... book fares you are comfortable paying and be happy for a price drop when eligible. Frankly, I don't check prices after final payment unless I think I'll be able to get an upgrade ... I just go with the assumption that there will always be someone paying less than me on the cruise, just like the flight, etc.

Thank you for your posting! I saw that our January cruise had a price drop and thought I'd call to see if I could get any on board credit for the difference but was told that because of the policy change that wasn't possible. I said thank you and hung up. Then I read this board and saw the posting about reservations made prior to the policy change. Ours was (it was one of those that we have moved around many times). After another phone call and quite a bit of time on hold (done very willingly) they came back and are refunding my credit card almost $500! I would not have called back the 2nd time had I not read this thread! Needless to say I am thrilled and most appreciative of the fact that RCI was willing to do this for us!

There is no point in calling and asking, bld44. Royal Caribbean has a very firm policy. No refunds (whether in cash or OBC) after final payment. Period......

Not quite true - it's the final payment DUE DATE that makes the difference. On Nov. 25 we got a huge refund due to a price drop on our cruise that we had already paid in full. The deciding factor was that our final payment Due Date was not until Dec. 1. We're doing B2B's and had not yet paid the second cruise in full, so the refund was applied to the 2nd cruise. We didn't book the cruises until Jan. 2011, so it wasn't due to booking under the "old rules". It took our TA one phone call, about 15 minutes total!

Not quite true - it's the final payment DUE DATE that makes the difference. On Nov. 25 we got a huge refund due to a price drop on our cruise that we had already paid in full. The deciding factor was that our final payment Due Date was not until Dec. 1. We're doing B2B's and had not yet paid the second cruise in full, so the refund was applied to the 2nd cruise. We didn't book the cruises until Jan. 2011, so it wasn't due to booking under the "old rules". It took our TA one phone call, about 15 minutes total!

Ah, I am glad you posted this as I like to make final payment well enough in advance so I don't forget it. I will continue to look for price drops up until final payment due.

Ran into the new policy recently and had to accept that it is what it is.

I'm pretty sure she uses "Final Payment" and "Due Date" interchangeably, as Carol is pretty well informed on these things (I admit that I, also, use the terms interchangeably ... which I why I made that assumption). However, you are absolutely correct. The "policy" applies at the Due Date.

BTW, the "policy" to which we are referring is called "Best Price Guarantee." OK, in my book, "guarantee" means ... well ... guarantee. Thus, when the SOs, on my upcoming Monarch cruise, went down in price by over $200, AFTER final payment (due date), but the JSs were still almost $600 more than what I paid, I was left wondering just what that "guarantee" meant. I decided that it meant ... nothing. I wish they just would call it something like: "After Due Date, You're Stuck With What You Have At The Price You Paid.":mad: ... hmmmm ... I guess that would take up too much space in the Cruise Brochures ... :rolleyes: ~LL

I may not like it at all and prefer the old days of price matching basically anything, for a business model that depends on full capacity, I can understand why they don't want to give everyone the month-out pricing if the sailing is not doing well.

As for Christmas or NYE cruises, I see two options ... book ahead of time because it is a family vacation with a lot of planning and flights that will only go up in price, or book last minute when the near-double fares may drop but you have less choice of cabin, itinerary, flights, and perhaps family involvement.

The real rule is ... book fares you are comfortable paying and be happy for a price drop when eligible. Frankly, I don't check prices after final payment unless I think I'll be able to get an upgrade ... I just go with the assumption that there will always be someone paying less than me on the cruise, just like the flight, etc.

You are 100 % correct in your statments regarding checking pricing after final payment . Some one will always inform you when you are the cruise they got it for this or that . If you are happy with your price go with it and enjoy !

You are 100 % correct in your statments regarding checking pricing after final payment . Some one will always inform you when you are the cruise they got it for this or that . If you are happy with your price go with it and enjoy !

One of my personal firm rules when talking to other cruisers is to not talk about specific pricing for that particular cruise I'm on unless I am directly asked. People, especially new cruisers who have no idea they can get price drops at all, can get very upset ... especially since most seem to overvalue the cost of a cruise. I've actually had people essentially brag to me about paying $1,000 more for a worse cabin that I had ... at which point I smiled, nodded, and noted that that was a good price (for someone at least).

I booked adventure of the seas , dec 26 sailing , last year while on RCL freedom of the seas. The sales pitch they give is by booking a year in advance you are guaranteed the best cabins at the best price. Let me mention that I have been on 15 cruises and HAVE NEVER booked this far in advance.WILL never do again. The one time I listened to the hype , I lost out big time. My RCL cabin has gone down $750.00 and unlike my experience with other lines, RCL will not accommodate in any way. I AM A CROWM AND ANCHOR MEMBER BUT HAVE NOW CANCELLED MY RCL credit card, memberships with them etc. I will not sail with them again . Also, for first time cruisers, unless you have a very specific cabin and location you want , keep checking prices and wait for best price. I have always (15) stayed in the category I wanted on ships and never, other than the above time, booked more than 6 months out. Also, when leaving from San Juan you never know with air. the prices have been high all year and I got my best fair ( under $150 ) last month. After 15 cruises , I don't think this is just luck. ALSO, I have always received OBC with my cruises.

RCL price guarantee basically just adds up to nothing. They guarantee that once you pay in full ( which I would never do until final payment date) they will not increase your rate should it go up. GIVE ME A BREAK. Only the cruise line benefits by consumers paying way in advance of sailing. To drastically cut prices and leave loyal customers in the hole is bad business. I think the problem they had with this sailing is the air to San Juan. When the air is so high that people are paying more in airfare than for the cruise, they have cancellations or no bookings and end up with many empty cabins that they need to full so basically are almost giving them away.

This rule has been in place for over a year. It's too bad they oversold you with the onboard booking. It just depends on the time of the year and how sales are going as to whether or not booking onboard will save money. However, with an open booking, you could take advantage of some last minute pricing (though not "sale pricing) and get OBC.

I booked adventure of the seas , dec 26 sailing , last year while on RCL freedom of the seas. The sales pitch they give is by booking a year in advance you are guaranteed the best cabins at the best price. Let me mention that I have been on 15 cruises and HAVE NEVER booked this far in advance.WILL never do again. The one time I listened to the hype , I lost out big time. My RCL cabin has gone down $750.00 and unlike my experience with other lines, RCL will not accommodate in any way. I AM A CROWM AND ANCHOR MEMBER BUT HAVE NOW CANCELLED MY RCL credit card, memberships with them etc. I will not sail with them again . Also, for first time cruisers, unless you have a very specific cabin and location you want , keep checking prices and wait for best price. I have always (15) stayed in the category I wanted on ships and never, other than the above time, booked more than 6 months out. Also, when leaving from San Juan you never know with air. the prices have been high all year and I got my best fair ( under $150 ) last month. After 15 cruises , I don't think this is just luck. ALSO, I have always received OBC with my cruises.

RCL price guarantee basically just adds up to nothing. They guarantee that once you pay in full ( which I would never do until final payment date) they will not increase your rate should it go up. GIVE ME A BREAK. Only the cruise line benefits by consumers paying way in advance of sailing. To drastically cut prices and leave loyal customers in the hole is bad business. I think the problem they had with this sailing is the air to San Juan. When the air is so high that people are paying more in airfare than for the cruise, they have cancellations or no bookings and end up with many empty cabins that they need to full so basically are almost giving them away.

I dont understand. If the price goes down before final payment, RCI will give you the price adjustment.

After final payment, they will not. However, this is comparable to all mainstream cruiselines. None of them give price adjustments after final payment. So, good luck going elsewhere after canceling all your ties to RCI because you'll find that they have the same policies.

RCI will allow you to upgrade to a higher category if that category is now less than what you paid for a lower category.

You can wait until the last minute if you think that is better, however NONE of my previous cruises have gone down after final payment. They have only gone up, up, up. Our New Year's Eve cruise now costs more than double what we paid.

We are sailing on the Jewel Of The Seas on Christmas eve. DH and I have been loyal customers for many years. I don't remember how many cruises we have taken, but many on different cruise lines and we are Emrald class now on RC. After this cruise we will be Diamonds. As so many of you have stated, we are loosing money due to the price dropping after final payment. When I called for a ship credit I discovered the new policy. All three ladies I spoke with were polite to their credit in the face of my anger, but the outcome was the same as your stories that amounted to sorry about your luck. I find this policy very poor customer service also. I work in a field where customer service is the key to keeping the doors open. I would think in today's economy RC would make customer service a priority. I think in place of "sorry this is the policy and I cant do anything about it", RC should come up with a plan for loyal customers that would take the sting out of it. A good recovery would be "sorry I can't give you a refund now, but how about I arrange for you and your husband to enjoy a free drink and a free RC T shirt during your cruise and I will bring your complaint to the attention to our directors." It does not have to be a drink and T shirt. It could be a free dinner at Chops or something that would cost pennies to RC but would go a long way to making me feel less unappreciated. Of course there were no upgrades available so needless to say, I am disgruntled about the money I am loosing. My friends have been trying to get me to jump ship and sail away with them on another cruise line in the future and I am now thinking WHY NOT?

Archived