Where to eat in Cozumel

Bindery

Add me to the fans of Panchos Backyard. The first time we were there we had a table out in the front. The atmosphere wasn't as good, but we had a view of the busy street and the water. The second time we were back in the courtyard and it was beautiful. The margaritas are excellent. We also had lunch at Chankanaab and enjoyed that a lot as well. I thought about the threat of illness briefly, but I felt like I had to try the food at least once. Of course, now I want it all the time!

Tammy

McDonald's? Huh?!? I hate to tell you but you still have chance of getting unfiltered watch from one of these places that will far exceed the problems you will have if you eat / drink in a tourist area.

Pancho's backyard is great. Print a coupon for a FREE margarita with the purchase of food NOW:

http://www.loscincosoles.com/panchosbackyard/coupons.htm

Have fun!

Wow, nothing like experiencing the different cultures of the world by eating McDonald's. :D

I agree. You really should soak in the local culture. Forget about McDonalds. Go to Taco Bell instead.

We always eat at Pancho's Backyard. Have been there several times and will be going again in October and again in December.

Check out their web site. http://www.panchosbackyard.com There is a coupon to print for a free margarita. We always order one of their large margaritas first and then one of the free smaller ones to finish off with.

Enjoy!!!

IF you wanted to eat at McDonalds, I'd wait til you get home. This is the time to have some real mexican food!! My vote is for either Pancho's Backyard or at the outdoor restaurant they have on the beach at Chankanaab Park. We've eaten at both places and they have very good food! I'm sure there's other places that are good as well.

Before we got off the ship, they recommended not to drink the water and they included the ice. We had margaritas at Pancho's and were fine. I didn't think anything of it there.

So we drank from the cans at the restaurant at Chankanaab.

But you can go to McDonalds anytime. :D

Have fun, we love Cozumel!

My wife and I ate at the Shrimp Bucket at Punta Langosta, one of the best meals I have ever had anywhere. By the way I got the coconut shrimp. The tourista can happen to anyone anywhere at any time even Mcdonalds.

I had lunch & cocktails a few weeks ago in Cozumel at Paradise Beach in the Terrace restaurant. Food, drinks & service were EXCELLENT, and included a beautiful view of the ocean. (they use only 100% purified water & ice, so nothing to worry about there). You can view their menu at http://www.paradisebeach.cozumel.net .

My wife and I have been going to Cozumel for over 17 years (on ships and resorts). If my wife will eat there its safe. I would stay away from steet vendors. We will be in Cozumel in May on the Victory and will eat all day long there. So enjoy.

Two years ago while in Cozumel (on the Victory) we rented a VW and drove around the island, went to Chakanab... then kept driving. There were many small bars and restaurants on the windward side, very beautiful... very few people. As we got to the road that headed back across the island we stopped to eat

We were lucky to have stopped at a rustic looking bar and restaurant called Mezcalitos. It is located right at the end of the one road that goes straight across the island.

To this day my wife says that was the best Mexican food she has EVER had. I can testify that the shrimp fajitas were "to die for." Fantastic view, right on the windswpt beach... cold Dos Equis amber, etc. etc.

It is worth the trip over to the rustic side of the island.

A review from Yahoo follows:

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-2804783-prod-travelguide-action-read-ratings_and_reviews-i;_ylt=AmUXOMaAsQBlnfdCzPcBfEkgFmoL?from=-9#4

Las Palmeras hands down if you want excellent food. I HIGHLY recommend going here. Sitting here with my mouth watering thinking about their chicken enchiladas with mole.....

Carlos and Charlie's if you want to get drunk off your buttocks. ;) And the food is very Americanized. So if you want that in Mexico, go for it. Ditto for Pancho's Backyard in terms of food. Personally, I would not go there if you're looking for true authentic Mexican cuisine.

I've also heard very good things about Santiago's Grill from some of the locals, but I've never had the opportunity to go there.

We ate at La Choza a few years back, it was a crew favorite, so we tried it out... I understand it burned down a few months ago though. It was VERY authentic and a bit off the beaten path... it was great for the authentic experience... the food was decent, but it was on July 4th and they don't serve alcohol in Coz on that day, so no margaritas.... We thought we were being very careful with what we ate, but BF had some soup... middle of the night, sick as a dog, for the next 36 hours... I have never seen someone so sick in my life! I will stick to the more "tourist" places from here on out... have since eaten in plenty of places and never been sick (I was fine even after La Choza however...), you just have to be cautious of what you are eating if you are going to go somewhere that is not designed to draw the tourists...

You probably won't have time (about a 20+ minute cab ride from downtown) but Coconuts is AWESOME!! - On the back side of the island, sits on a cliff, you can sit at a table right next to the edge, watch the ocean (unbelievable color!!) - and the food's great, too!! - We read about it on Cruise Critic, and loved it! I think the cab was $20 (at least) but the driver just waited for us while we ate - a really fun experience - and you get a different picture of Cozumel away from town!!

A good tip is to ask the crew on the ship where they eat on their days off if you get the chance to talk with someone. We've always had the best meals at crew recommended places (not the CD or anyone who gives travel talks, the actual staff like waiters etc who aren't paid (indirectly) for endorsments). They seem to know places that while aren't super touristy are safe to eat at...:D Good luck and have a GREAT cruise!

It's funny. I laugh about the McDonald's thing. On our Glory cruise last year, we ate at Mickey D's in St. Maarten. We were strapped for time (spent most of the day drinking and people watching at Orient Beach) and very hungry (spent most of the day drinking and people watching at Orient Beach). We got value meals. A Big Mac, fries, and a bottle of Heineken for $3.99. We just ate there out of necessity though. I wouldn't do it again. I was curious if the burgers tasted the same, though. They did. I'll be at Coz in a couple of weeks and will eat at Pancho's. Best Mexican food I've ever had. And they make a pretty mean tequilla sunrise.

Archived