Graturities Question

Aussie One

Does the discretionary gratuity include room service? I always give them a few dollars if they have to bring me something from room service.

Yes it does, however when we order the continental breakfast we give them $1 per breakfast which we give them in cash or add to the spot on the back of the order ticket.

Are you saying on thse ships that when you purchase a drink at a bar there is not 15% added as a tip? Or are the drink prices just higher in the first place?

The drink prices are slightly higher but the tip is included. This is only on the Sun, Dawn and now Sea Princess which are in Aussie $. There is no longer a daily hotel charge and tipping is not expected, however, I am sure that most of the regular cruisers give another tip at the end of the cruise (it is not part of our culture to tip..... as those of you that have travelled to Australia and New Zealand know).

There seems to be a small part of the population emerging in Australia that thinks that tipping should happen here (especially in the capital cities) this may be because of the fact that Aussies are now travelling overseas much more than they used to and are picking up these habits there).... I don't know if they get a boost of self importance or not but I for one hope that it doesn't catch on to the point where it is expected. If you want to thank a waiter or someone that has served you say "Thank you"! That is all that is expected in the great Land of OZ.

Archived