Repositioning Cruise

My family and I are thinking of doing the Grandeur's repositioning cruise next thanksgiving.

My questions is what do you do when you get there? book a hotel and then fly back?

Has anyone ever done a repositioning before? Particularly to Panama. Would this sailing go near the Canal?

My family and I are thinking of doing the Grandeur's repositioning cruise next thanksgiving.

My questions is what do you do when you get there? book a hotel and then fly back?

Has anyone ever done a repositioning before? Particularly to Panama. Would this sailing go near the Canal?

Did one from San Juan to Ft. Lauderdale. We booked a flight just like we would for a close loop. That being said, we ended up staying in a hotel because storms would have grounded us on our lay-over. Depending on how long your flight home will be, you may want to consider a hotel and then fly out the next morning.

Has anyone ever done a repositioning before? Particularly to Panama.

Would this sailing go near the Canal?

Yes do it!

Canal! Depends on their itinerary?

We love them!

Did one from San Juan to Ft. Lauderdale. We booked a flight just like we would for a close loop. That being said, we ended up staying in a hotel because storms would have grounded us on our lay-over. Depending on how long your flight home will be, you may want to consider a hotel and then fly out the next morning.

Great advice. Thank you. This seems like such fun!

We did the Grandeur repo to Colon and really enjoyed it. We booked a Canal Tour for the day of arrival through My Friend Mario (search here in Panama Canal secition or on Google for his website). They picked us up at the ship took us on an all day tour and then took each guest to their respective hotels. They recommended the hotel we stayed at and it was very nice. (I can get the name for you or you can ask them.) I might stay at the Courtyard next time we do it -- I believe it is connected to the mall by a walkway if memory serves me right. We flew home the next day but if I did it again I'd stay a couple nights and see more of Panama City than the one day tour allows. The Grandeur is a great ship.

BTW, I just looked at the Grandeur Repo you asked about. We paid about the same for our six night repo as they want for the 3 night and we went to some great ports. Maybe the 3 nighs is attractive to you but it hardly seems worth it to me unless I were using it as a way to get to Panama.

We did one repo cruise with RCCL from Los Angeles through the Panama Canal ending in Dominican Republic. It was just a cruise like any other. We made advance reservations to fly home from Santo Domingo - it was our choice not to stay after the cruise.

The repo's can be a good deal, but the airfare coming home from Panama after a 3 day cruise hardly seems worth it. But that is my opinion.

The really good deals are the TA's....I just got back from the Mariner OTS TA, from Rome to Galveston.

most of the time these repo cruises are a huge bargain

There are exceptions, however, as more and more people become aware of these cruises and their unique itineraries. Our August 31st repo cruise on Jewel of the Seas is pretty much sold out and prices have risen dramatically since the books first opened. Since we live near the port where this cruise ends, we only need to pay for one way airfare, which makes the entire trip a bit more affordable.

BTW, I just looked at the Grandeur Repo you asked about. We paid about the same for our six night repo as they want for the 3 night and we went to some great ports. Maybe the 3 nighs is attractive to you but it hardly seems worth it to me unless I were using it as a way to get to Panama.

The three night was $198 (inside) with the OV about $100 more last time I checked. You were able to get 6 nights for about that price or have prices moved?

Archived