Off topic Atlantis Question

PenguinLife

As you may note by my signature, we will be going to the Bahamas in a couple of weeks, which is only slightly related to my question as we have opted not to do any of the Atlantis resort options while there. Instead since I know many of you have been there I wanted to ask your general impression of the resort as a whole as I have to go there for 4 days on a business trip next summer (company is paying for my cost), and my wife is considering going along (we would have to pay her travel costs)?

thanks

I have stayed there several times as I do a bill fish tournament every year

The resort grounds are great , the restaurants are top notch but crazy expensive ( seafood appy for two 75.00) if you go I would encourage the food plan as you will save money

The rooms , if you are in the. Ea towers are good if you are in the old section. The rooms are old and crappy from the 70's

The workers are not very friendly or euthusiastic but are competant

I only stay there for the convenience of the tournament

Hopes this helps

If you go try the Bahamian club for dinner Outstanding

We have been to the Atlantis Resort several times and fondly remember when it was called "Merv Griffin's Resort," before Sun International purchased the property (and most of Paradise Island) and totally rebuilt it into what is now Atlantis.

The grounds, pools, slides, fish tanks, landscaping and property are absolutely breathtaking. Highly recommend it if one has never been there.

However, their prices are outrageous. As another poster has stated, the older rooms which are closest to the beach are dated, could use a good cleaning and not in very good condition for the price charged. The newer buildings have nicer rooms but the prices they command are no longer within our price range.

The last time we stayed at Atlantis, we opted to rent a Harborside Condo on the Atlantis property which gave us access to all of Atlantis plus a shuttle bus which ran regularly to the main pools and attractions. Had a lovely, large one bedroom condo with full kitchen, laundry facilities, etc.

That being said, even with purchasing our own breakfast food and some lunch food, the prices at all of the Atlantis eateries are out of this world. And the meal plan may sound good, but here is one problem with it: Let's say that your dinner tab comes to $300 (not unreasonable at their decent restaurants); they will charge a 15% gratuity on the $300 charge, even though you already paid for your meal through the plan. Of course, I expect that the servers should be tipped, but not on the full menu prices if the meal plan has been purchased!

I know my way around the island well enough to rent a car and drive on the left side of the road. I am familiar with the grocery stores in town where the locals shop and I can truthfully say, that the prices are extremely high on food items since everything is taxed and tariffed when coming into the island. For example, a bag of potato chips stamped .99 will have a sticker on it that says $2.99! Magazines and books are marked up so high that it's ridiculous.

We have elected to no longer stay at Atlantis as it is just too cost prohibitive these days; too bad for us, because we love the ambiance there!

One good thing about the business trip there is they have receptions for the meeting participants and families that include food nearly every evenings, as well as buffet lunches, and breakfast for the meeting participants.

Ike

That's a huge plus and will save you quite a bit of money.

Yeah, the place in Puerto Rico where the meeting was held summer before last had a discount breakfast special in their cheapest dining location, $32 for 2 eggs, toast, and juice, plus wifi prices that make Carnivals ship rate look reasonable ($23 per day).

Archived