Sapphire in Hong Kong - in the middle of nowhere

Globaliser

Being in Hong Kong last weekend, I was driven past the Sapphire on the way in from the airport. She was docked out in the middle of the Kwai Chung container port, about 4 or 5 miles from the centre of town.

I wonder if that inconvenienced anyone? I would think it'd have been a pig of a place to try to get out of under your own steam. Apparently, when the QM2 was offered that as the only available dock for her, they just cancelled Hong Kong from the itinerary altogether.

One of the disadvantages of the mega-ships.

They often cannot dock close in - draft problems, and sometimes length/beam problems.

Let's build a fleet of 50,000 tonners, for 1000 or 1200 passengers. Then we can get into more exotic ports!

Being in Hong Kong last weekend, I was driven past the Sapphire on the way in from the airport. She was docked out in the middle of the Kwai Chung container port, about 4 or 5 miles from the centre of town.I wonder if that inconvenienced anyone? I would think it'd have been a pig of a place to try to get out of under your own steam. Apparently, when the QM2 was offered that as the only available dock for her, they just cancelled Hong Kong from the itinerary altogether.
I'm sure it could be for some if taxi drivers aren't eager to wait for possible fares. Most cruise lines aren't much concerned about docking miles from the center of town. They provide transfers for purchase for those embarking or disembarking and shore excursions if it is a port of call and sometimes a shuttle service.

You hear many complaints about the Mega ships docking where they do in Europe just for that reason.

One of the disadvantages of the mega-ships.

They often cannot dock close in - draft problems, and sometimes length/beam problems.

Let's build a fleet of 50,000 tonners, for 1000 or 1200 passengers. Then we can get into more exotic ports!

HERE! HERE!

I'm with you, Michael.

We were on the Sky Princess from Beijing to Hong Kong....we were the last sailing to actually go up the Yangtze into the port of Shanghai and overnight right smack dab in the city center. It was spectacular!

Crowsie

We also went right uptown to the Bund, on Regal Princess, 3-01.

Shanghai is a city I would like to spend more time in exploring. Thought it much more interesting than Beijing (Peking!).

Smaller (I know, mid-size) ships do have their advantages.

Crowsie

We also went right uptown to the Bund, on Regal Princess, 3-01.

Shanghai is a city I would like to spend more time in exploring. Thought it much more interesting than Beijing (Peking!).

Smaller (I know, mid-size) ships do have their advantages.

Sadly, Princess seems to be dumping the mid size ships. We were hoping that they would bring back the African Safari Cruise Tour they did a few years back on the mid size ships. That's the one are we've really wanted to cruise, but the current itinerary is thirty days...way too long for us to be gone.

Crowsie

One of the many rumors floating about is Pacific Princess (new) may take on some of the "exotics" that used to be handled by Pacific Princess (old) or Royal Princess.

We are hoping that is true also - my wife wants to do the East Coast of Africa, and I'm still trying to get through the Suez.

Archived