Nook

NanaL

For reading? Yes,

For downloading? You will need to buy wi-fi minutes from Celebrity, or look for free wi-fi hotspots in your ports

It seems to me that, unless you're a really avid reader and likely to read through everything you've already downloaded before sailing, why couldn't you simply download what you're going to want to read before sailing, build the library on your Nook, and then save your Internet minutes for e-mail, Facebook, etc.? I have a Nook, and will do my downloads pre-cruise; it's not a particularly efficient user of wi-fi (read: slower than a PC) time.

I have a Kindle, so I'm not that familiar with the Nook. Does it have 3G? (not WifI)

I used my 3G Kindle and downloaded a preordered book when we got to St Thomas, using 3G in the area. I also was able to check and send email using my Kindle 3G when we were in port at every island. Just to see what would happen I tried checking my email/and sending while we were on our Sea days. Again I was able to use it. Sure it is not as easy as using your computer, but as slow as the computers are onboard it was almost as fast:eek: and it was FREE! From what I have read you can only use it this way if your ereader is 3G only, if it's wifi then that would take over and you would have to sign into the ships wifi.

If you only want to download books then load up your nook before you leave home, word search games are alot of fun too:)

Bev

Thanks for the info. I have already loaded three books. I just wasn't sure if I would be able to get my books in the middle of the ocean.

Linda

Linda, once the books are loaded on the Nook, you're good to go. They don't remain in the "cloud". It's the same as opening up your Nook when you're in a plane (w/ or w/o WiFi).

Shlomit --- Nooks can also download daily newspapers and magazines, not just books, so it isn't just a question of loading them up with three or four books to read....

Point well taken. I haven't used mine that way, but I'm sure others do. I will miss my local paper unless I use my internet minutes to pull it up and catch up on the latest.

I was unable to download books onto my nook when I was in Mexico. I called BN and they informed me that you can only download books in the US

KEVNZWORLD makes a good point... licensing agreements are not always the same outside of the USA... for example, even here in Canada we don't get as many titles as those who live in the USA.

So if there is something you particularly want to read on the cruise, download it BEFORE you go. Better to have too many items, than not enough.

Cheers!

Also as a precaution open your downloaded book just to make sure. I had downloaded a book I was planning on reading on my cruise to Hawaii but had never opened it. Well out to sea I coulding access the book. All others were accessible. When we reached port in Hawaii I was able to open the book and had no problems since with that book after that.

Archived