FAA lifting ban on cell phones on planes?

vicdreyer

Should cell phones be allowed on airplanes?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Should cell phones be allowed on airplanes?

• No Way! Turn them off while in flight!
    • Yes, they should allow passengers to use cell phones while in flight.
    • Yes, if they designate a specific 'section' where they can use them while in flight...like outside.
    • It makes no difference to me.

The FAA is considering lifting a ban on cell phone use on planes as they feel there really is no safety issue here. I personally don't want to sit next to a loud 'yakker' for 3 hours.... and I think 50-70 people yakking on cell phones could lead to air rage....

How do you feel about passengers being able to use cell phones on planes?

I vote no for cell phones on the planes..... I, like you do not want to set there and listen to someone talk about there love life or family problems for that period of time.....

Can you imagine how annoying that would be if everyone or a majority of the passengers were gabbing on their phones. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I, like you do not want to set there and listen to someone talk about there love life or family problems for that period of time.....

I don't even like to hear them yakkin away next to me while I'm having a nice romantic dinner with my wife at a nice restaurant.... unfortunately the FAA does not base their ruling on peoples preference..only on the safety issue..

Don't these folks who sit at a nice quiet restaurant, and talk away on cell phones while others are trying to enjoy the moment realize how annoying they can be to others?

Worse than chair hogs. You know how you go to a really nice restaurant and there is always a guy, about 15 tables away, with a big booming voice yelling into his phone and trying to look important? Yeah, him... well with my typical luck he would be right next to me on the plane.. then I would have to cause an air incident and land in jail..

I don't even like to hear them yakkin away next to me while I'm having a nice romantic dinner with my wife at a nice restaurant.... unfortunately the FAA does not base their ruling on peoples preference..only on the safety issue..

Don't these folks who sit at a nice quiet restaurant, and talk away on cell phones while others are trying to enjoy the moment realize how annoying they can be to others?

I replied without reading your post first (one of those Quick Draw McGraw things)... I hear ya!

Please, Please, Please FAA. DO NOT allow cell phones on board flights. It is one of the few times when I have NO disturbances and can collect my thoughts appropriately. Have you NOT heard of QUALITY time with family, friends, or peaceful relaxation???

Internet and email access would be valuable (and quiet). I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR SOMEONE TALKING TO THEIR "COUSIN" for 3000 miles on a transcon flight. Sometimes I want to work (internet) and sometimes I want to sleep. I generally fly FC and if I have to listen to someone talking for most of 8 hours to Peru/Chile from LAX, I am going to EXPLODE. My views have been made VERY clear to the FAA.

To me, it wouldn't be any different that people talking to each other.

And I'm not much of a cell phone user. My plan is for 100 minutes a month, which only I go over about once a year.

Lets hope the airlines themself set up guidelines for cell phone use.

1. No ringers aloud. If you want your cell on, you must have it in silent mode.

2. NO talking on your cell at your seat.

3. A designated space in the rear of the aircraft or other area away from seats is to be used. If you talk on the phone at your seat, flight attendant takes the phone out of your hands and holds it until the end of your flight.

One thing I love about cruising is that there is no cell reception. Now that Royal Caribbean is starting to outfit its fleet with cell phone reception, lets hope that Royal Caribbean starts to use designated locations to talk. One cool thing would be to text a spouse or friend with your location on the ship so that you guys can meet up. No talking involved. That would work for me. Lets hope cell phones don't ruin our experiences on a cruise.

To me, it wouldn't be any different that people talking to each other.

And I'm not much of a cell phone user. My plan is for 100 minutes a month, which only I go over about once a year.

IMHO, there is a GIANT difference.

No one speaks into a cell phone, they constantly YELL.

You can only hear one side of the conversation, so there is no "baffling" of the conversation. It is VERY disconcerting to listen to someone on a phone in a confined space.

An airplane is the calm before the storm-a place to gather thoughts and go over all those last minute things you must do when you arrive at your destination.

If you fly frequently, cell phones are a way of life. They are an irritating, but necessary part of business. Airports are very loud places and have become louder as a result of cell phones. You used to have to go into one of the non-gate areas to use the pay phone. Now everyone is sitting in the gate area, yakking it up, and making the noise level several decibels higher.

I just can't imagine being on a plane with a bunch of teenagers with cell phones. Have you ever noticed you do NOT see a teenage girl driving around without a cell phone plastered to her ear? I followed a young lady down I-10 for almost 40 miles. She never once was without the cell phone, even at 90 miles per hour. Enough said.

NO Cell phones-planes, trains, or CRUISE SHIPS.

Lets hope the airlines themself set up guidelines for cell phone use.

1. No ringers aloud. If you want your cell on, you must have it in silent mode.

2. NO talking on your cell at your seat.

3. A designated space in the rear of the aircraft or other area away from seats is to be used. If you talk on the phone at your seat, flight attendant takes the phone out of your hands and holds it until the end of your flight.

All are good suggestions. #3 cannot be implemented, due to security. Large #'s of pax cannot gather in one spot. I am sure you have heard the announcements about pax gathering in the rear for the restrooms. The galleys at the rear of the aircraft are now off limits to pax, except for a VERY few minutes.

On the new, double decker Airbus, there will be a lounge, so this might work. But in the current configuration of most airplanes, with the exception of some International carriers, the airline would have to remove seats to make space available. In the current market conditions, that will not happen. The FAA and airlines invision use at your seat, not in a desginated space.

Talk about air rage. Get trapped between two people carrying on separate cell conversations. I would explode.

Anyone have any idea how to contact the FAA and make opinions known on this subject?

Online petition or anything.

I believe the above poll is an indication of the vast majority of the population that would never want to see cell phones in planes.

I believe the above poll is an indication of the vast majority of the population that would never want to see cell phones in planes.
I entirely agree with you, but I think that the FAA is very well aware of the public feeling on the subject. Most soundings of opinion are consistent with the result of this poll, ie about an 80:20 split.

I echo everyone's feelings about no cell phones on airplanes.

I would also like to see them banned on cruise ships. Recently on the NCL Dawn out of NYC everyone got out their cell phone and made calls just as we were approaching the Statue of Liberty. There were at least 30 loud yakkers who called their friends or whoever just to say they're passing the SoL. What's the big deal with that! I'm glad I had a balcony room because that's where I ended up going with my pina colada.

Archived