Upgraded to C&A Plat after Two Cruises

Guest OBAYbee
The JS Cruise was in 2003 so I don't think that is it. Again I should have been clearer -the letter seemed to indicate that it was because of our history not so much a mistake. Could it be that between the two cruise costs and onboard spending we have paid RCCL over $17,000? I think that may be part of it-the computer looks for large cruise costs/onboard bills and tries to lock these people in to future scruising on their line only by throwing them a little perk early such as Platinum C&A?

Nope! I called and asked RCCL about the points last year. I went on Mariner of the Seas in December before the January date where they would count the JS I was in as 2 credits. They refused to give me the 2 credits for that JS since it was 3 weeks prior to the extra point benefit on a JS cruise. I also mentioned that in 2 years I have purchased more then $32,000 worth of cruises with them. If you add our AOS cruise this year with FOS next year we will have at least $70,000 invested and only on FOS am I going to be a Platinum C&A member.

Guest OBAYbee
Good for you, I have booked 5 rooms over 3 cruises and am still at the basic level, I have 2 more rooms booked next week and with my luck will still be listed as 4 credits and basic service, oh well at least I am still cruising.

I feel your pain!! Since they are killing off gift cards maybe they should give those of us with 4 cruises but 10's of thousands of dollars worth of cruising on their ships a break and make us Diamond.

Sometimes I think they just screw up.

I was elevated to Platinun status after two 7 day cruises. And I had the lowest category inside cabin on both cruises so I don't think cruise length or cabin category plays any role in it.

I've been reaping the rewards ever since!!!

Hmm - Meanwhile, I've been waiting to be upgraded four months after my fifth cruise.

I recently booked two rooms one for me and my husband and one for my kids and their cousins. Will I get two cruise credits for them?

NO unless it´s a Suite or a 12+ night cruise. You always only get the credit for the room you are staying in, regardless of who paid for it.

Kids do not get the credit even if they occupy their own cabins, paying full price fare until they are 18. At the time they turn 18, you have to call RCCL and let them know that they are 18 and then all cruises they were on make them whatever platform they would have been on. So an 18 year old does not start from the starting point--the cruise credits are sitting in wait for them. Too bad the parents cannot take ownership of those credits and let them earn them on their own!

kyirecat,

We have a 13 night cruise/tour booked this summer. We have a JS. I called Crown & Anchor, and was told that I will get 3 credits, 2 for the length and 1 for the Junior Suite.

Sherry

I didn't think about including the land portion of the cruisetour. Cool! That means we'll be Platinum after our 2nd cruise. (JS on both, the 2nd being a 12-night Alaskan cruisetour coming up in August.) Woohoo! :D

Now if they would just release the rest of 2006 I'd be ready to book my first cruise as a Platinum member. :cool:

Yes, as long as it's a "cruisetour" booked with RCI and it's 12 nights or more you get the extra point.

No, cruisinfever, the person who cruises get the points. Period. You will get a point, your husband will get a point, your kids and their cousins will get a point (if they are under 18 they have to wait to have the points applied until they are 18 and become actual C&A members--but all cruises taken before 18 do count). You do not get a point for someone else's cruise, whether booked it or paid for it.

beachchick

This will be the first RCI cruise for us. I have a family of 7 in the Royal Family Suite Cabin 8694 on the Mariner 9/25. If anyone on the cruise the week before in that cabin would like to leave their coupons we'll gladly accept them :D

Meanwhile, while on the cruise I will sign us up for the C & A.

Just so I understand, if I sign my 7 year old daughter up for the C & A the credits won't technically go to her until she's 18? Most likely if I'm cruising she'll be with me, but I guess while she's growing up her status won't matter as it will be using my status if I manage to cruise enough to have a status.

(This is beachchick; beachguy is my DH)

I've heard that you can't technically sign up your children for C&A until they are 18. There seems to be a bit of consufusion about this, but the rule seems to be that under 18 are not considered C&A members; however, the instant they turn 18 they can call and have all their pre-18 cruises credited. This way some 18 year olds start out as Platinum or Diamond. (I still say my parents abused me; I have to earn my status myself because they never took me on a cruise. Sigh.)

beachchick

Guest OBAYbee
(This is beachchick; beachguy is my DH)

I've heard that you can't technically sign up your children for C&A until they are 18. There seems to be a bit of consufusion about this, but the rule seems to be that under 18 are not considered C&A members; however, the instant they turn 18 they can call and have all their pre-18 cruises credited. This way some 18 year olds start out as Platinum or Diamond. (I still say my parents abused me; I have to earn my status myself because they never took me on a cruise. Sigh.)

beachchick

That is also what I was told. We signed up our kids at age 18 BUT all cruises no matter their age counted as points for them. My kids will be Platinum for the first time since they turned 18 on FOS next year.

Interesting thing was, since they were C&A members and turned 18 I was able to use their C&A number to book rooms on Feb. 28 when only members could reserve rooms. I just booked them with an adult that didn't have a membership and used my son's C&A number.

As far as I understand it Celebrity cruises do not count towards your C&A total. And RCL cruises do not count toward Celebrity's Captains club. Once you reach Platinum Level with C&A you receive matching "onboard" benefits with both cruise lines.

2 more points to remember:

1.) Just in case ....keep your kids SeaPass cards as proof of their past cruises. (In case they should ask for proof, all of the vital information is on that card.) You could also save the booking info page out of your documents. (Just a precautionary move.)

2.) As SOON as they turn 18, and BEFORE they move out or go to college and have a different address ---call and get them signed up. WHY? because (and I was just told this the other day by a customer service agent), they will receive the same status that the parents have. This goes along with the policy they are doing now whereby even if one spouse has cruised fewer times than the other, the are given equal status. To my surprise they just did this the other day for my DH. He was gold as he has only cruised twice. I, on the other hand am Diamond and have been cruising since the 70's. When I added him to our next cruise, they asked if he was C&A. I said, "yes, but only Gold", and the agent said, "no, he is what you are, so let's fix that right away and then we will fix the rest of the reservation."

We haven't been upgraded to anything even though we have booked two rooms each cruise, have had a Jr Suite and a Grand Suite in the past. We have booked excursions through them, etc. etc.

I wish the status was related to the number of total rooms you booked rather than just the number of cruises. It would seem more fair. Since we have a Jr. Suite maybe we will finally be platinum. I can't say for sure since we were waitlisted for a grand suite on our upcoming Mariner cruise and I found one available yesterday that went out to the general public before I could get upgraded. Somehow per their representative they had a problem with the system and passengers waiting to upgrade rooms at full retail price were not given the opportunity and there is nothing they can do about it. Of course this doesn't make me very happy.

At least I now have a better understanding of the C&A membership rules especially as it relates to our kids. My daughter is now 19. I'll have to sign her up. Thanks!

I can testify about the children turning 18 and getting all their cruise credits. My son cruised with us all the time. When he turned 18 he was already a platinum member and has been cruising on his own since then. I also want to mention that the whole RC Visa Credit Card thing really works to get you on board credit, merchandise and even free cruises. I have earned on-board credit which I will get on my 6/3/05 cruise and my son is withing 100 points for a free 4 days cruise. I definetely recommend this card if any. Also when you use their RC Credit card when booking their cruise you get double points.

Archived