Talk Tipping with me

I know there are a billion threads out in the forum about tipping, but I am keen to hear other Australians' thoughts on it seeing as in our culture it is not so commonplace.

So, if you are cruising with a company that allows you to re-pay gratuities - do you?

If you don't pre-pay do you regularly tip on board? How much and to who?

Do some just not tip at all?

I feel so goofy with tipping, it is just not something I encounter in day to day life in my small country town :o

Australians are known for tipping and we as in I do not tip

Sorry, I don't know what this means????

I know there are a billion threads out in the forum about tipping, but I am keen to hear other Australians' thoughts on it seeing as in our culture it is not so commonplace.

So, if you are cruising with a company that allows you to re-pay gratuities - do you?

I feel so goofy with tipping, it is just not something I encounter in day to day life in my small country town :o

If there is the opportunity to pre-pay gratuities, we always do. We also pay any daily gratuities that are added to our shipboard account. If we have great service in the dining room and our stateroom, we like to give extra amounts to the people involved. approx. $20 -$50 depending on the length of the cruise. This is our way of thanking staff individually and I am sure many Aussie's feel the same. Each to their own.

Kerry :)

Not experienced this yet - have only experienced the daily gratuity charge that you can elect to take off - I leave it on.

Last cruise was on P&O (AU) - no longer applying daily charge along with Princess on ships based in Oz. I tipped the room Steward, MDR waiters and the spa staff based on additional or very good service. Have never tipped drink waiters, or room service / laundry delivery or other services on baord.

I don't angst about it any more and am not worried about threatening our Australian way of life by leaving a tip - At home I leave small change at the counter "in the jar" in restaurants and cafes we go to as regulars and add extra to the cab fare when the driver takes special care. Overseas I follow the local custom from paying for a cover / table cloth charge in Rome, through noting that is is service compris on a bill in France and tipping in US 20% minimum which seems to be the expectation.

Colleen

Hi JulesRuby, this subject is fraught with danger!! :D However I will tell you what we do. First, we have, so far, not travelled in American ships. If we do, we will pay the gratuities as expected. This is the courteous thing to do, even though the tipping culture makes me feel uncomfortable. (I do not consider myself better than anyone else on this earth, and giving people money to look after my needs, makes me feel as though I think I am above them.) Having said that, on Aussie ships we do tip our cabin steward - so far, they have all been marvellous and a joy to have around. Even so, I feel a bit uncomfortable, but I'm learning to get over it. :)

Also, we like to have the same table and waiters every night in the MDR as we like to build up a rapport with them - it's nice to receive a welcome from them every night. On the last night we tip them also. (We are aware that some people who do this, avoid the MDR on the last night so they can get out of tipping and I think this is disgraceful.) We are on limited income, but budget to enable us to do this as they really do make a difference to our cruise experience. We don't drink a lot so do not get to know any particular bartenders, but some pax who do, also tip them.

As for the amount, it is really up to you what you can afford. I hope I have been able to help you a little with this 'touchy' subject. Don't stress too much about it. :)

Ha ha yes, it is a subject frought with danger Sandielle.

Thanks for the replies. Like I said, tipping is just not something I regularly encounter, like most Australians.

I think it will be easiest to add the prepay onto my account and then just tip people like excellent waitstaff and our cabin steward.

Not a big drinkr here either so the bar staff won't get a look in ;)

On my last cruise (P&O) we did tip our cabin steward $70 for 4 day trip as he really went out of his way to help us make our journey comfortable with our two young children then aged 20mths and three. He helped fiddle around with the bedding configuration, let us keep our luggage until debarkation etc.

I think he also touched my heart a little as he had a son the same age as my babe back in the Phillipines and I can tell he really enjoyed interacting with my little guy and must miss his own son. My 20 month old thought he was a rockstar on that ship! :cool:

Australians are well known for not tipping and we as in I do not tip
sorry

Australians are well known for not tipping and we as in I do not tip.

As for cost of the cruise we as Australian's pay more for our cruises then our usa cruiseres so why should we tip?

That's very interesting. I had no idea on my first cruise PO sun that tipping was any part, but in saying that I did leave money for our room cleaner hoping not to offend. Now on our 2nd cruise it really was all new with the American boat. I read many reviews and decided to speak with my booking place, interestingly she informed me many do not pre pay and remove it from there account. Australians pay alot higher prices then over seas to cruise. All wages, alcohol and sale items are marked up soon as boats hit our waters. After thinking about it for along time I did decide to do prepaid in the end thought it was the easiest best way. So I gather it is a personal choice, but in saying that I can understand why some feel it's already alot to pay then tips on top. My brother was going to come but by the time he paid 2500 each plus pre paid 150 it was very expensive to take 1 2yr old and 1 3 yr old, because I was told this boat had no child fares like the PO cruises. Goodluck

As for cost of the cruise we as Australian's pay more for our cruises then our usa cruiseres so why should we tip?

Some cruises we pay less and some we pay the same, so that's not an accurate reason. You could reasonably argue that if that were true on specific cruises, but it doesn't mean it always applies. What about Australians who have booked with an overseas agent, including Australians travelling on vessels overseas?

As for the question, when prepayment is available, I usually take it up. It's just more convenient, and saves the hassle of getting the specific notes ready, plus I'm not a fan of the tipping process.

Tipping is a very personal thing and no one should be slammed for choosing to tip or choosing not to do so. It is their choice as to what they want to do and we should respect that. I don't get the need for nastiness on the tipping threads - especially when it is along the - well if you don't tip, you should not travel lines - geez! :rolleyes:

We are Australians and we tip - that is our choice to do so. We have travelled quite a bit and we tip wherever we go. On our cruise in Jan 10, we left the service charge on our account and we tipped our cabin stewards at the end. For our last cruise, there was no service charge in place but we tipped. We factor this cost into the cost of our trip. We all have different personal and financial circumstances and that is fine - as I said, it is a choice only you can and should make. :)

Princess do not add the prepaid tips if your cruise is booked in Australia or NZ and it will not show on your onboard statement. If you book through an overseas TA it is still automatically added to the onboard account but you are able to remove it if you request that to be done at the Pursers Office. Our personal choice is to tip the cabin steward and the two evening table waiters in the dining room. We usually give the cabin steward an "encourager" on the first day and a "satisfier" on the last day. The two table waiters get their tip on the last night. What we have done in the past is to pool our tips with the others on our table putting in about $30 or $40 each (or whatever everyone agrees on) and it turns out to be a very tidy lump sum. There are suggestions that all staff who receive tips are required to hand them in for all staff to share it around but we prefer to tip those staff members who give us good service individually and try to impress upon them that our tip is for them only and not to be shared with everyone else. Whether they hand it on or not we would never know.

It all boils down to whatever you decide it is a personal choice.

John

Princess do not add the prepaid tips if your cruise is booked in Australia or NZ and it will not show on your onboard statement. If you book through an overseas TA it is still automatically added to the onboard account but you are able to remove it if you request that to be done at the Pursers Office. Our personal choice is to tip the cabin steward and the two evening table waiters in the dining room. We usually give the cabin steward an "encourager" on the first day and a "satisfier" on the last day. The two table waiters get their tip on the last night. What we have done in the past is to pool our tips with the others on our table putting in about $30 or $40 each (or whatever everyone agrees on) and it turns out to be a very tidy lump sum. There are suggestions that all staff who receive tips are required to hand them in for all staff to share it around but we prefer to tip those staff members who give us good service individually and try to impress upon them that our tip is for them only and not to be shared with everyone else. Whether they hand it on or not we would never know.

John

Now that auto-tipping has been removed on P&O Aust and Princess Aust ships there is no suggestion that tips have to be pooled. In the past when auto-tips were in place, sometimes staff were required to hand it in. It varied according to the ruling set by the current Hotel Director. This is what staff have told us.

John

Not quite right John.... we book with an american TA and the daily gratuities are not added to our bill. It must go on nationality.

Non cruise I certainly do not tip anyone here in Australia at all for any reason. Its unAustralian!!!

If I travel to the US then yeah I have no choice cause that is what they do. I wish the Americans would extend us the same courtisy and NOT tip when they come here.

On cruise all I do is leave a small token of thankyou and make up my own mind. I am not guided by other peopls opinions or beleifs and as an individual like to make up my own mind. I am a person not a sheep.

Some like to say When in Rome.....I like to respond well if the Romans jumped off a cliff would you go with them...

Some like to say When in Rome.....I like to respond well if the Romans jumped off a cliff would you go with them...

If living in Rome (but not a Roman), I would as the mediaeval proverb counsels be guided by how the Romans live (safer that way) - their ways of death do not attract. However I would consider jumping off a cliff attached to a strong elastic band - happy to have others go first.

Colleen

I am a Canadian and depending on what cruise line I am on I always tip the room stewards and waiters as most of them are coming from countries where their families depend on them. Having said that if the cruise lines have a nightly charge I still give extra to the staff in a envelope. The one exception is the Regent Seven Seas where tipping is not expected and I did not give extra- I regret it as I am sure their people could have used it as well.:)

John

I do my own tipping thank you very much. Some people who ask you to pool have been known to pocket the money and not give it to the staff...it may be just a few but I prefer to give it directly. If you like pooling it at the table, why not just leave the auto-tip on anyway?

... Overseas I follow the local custom from paying for a cover / table cloth charge in Rome, through noting that is is service compris on a bill in France and tipping in US 20% minimum which seems to be the expectation.

Colleen

We, like most others, try to follow local custom. However - 20% is not a "minimum" tip in the US - it is what you would tip for excellent service. Even in a very fine restaurant, 20% would be well received unless you are a very big spender demanding special services. In most restaurants, tips in the 15% range are usual. You can even get little wallet size cards that calculate 15% for you. For poor service, if it's a server issue, we have left 10%; if it's a food or kitchen issue, we don't penalize the server but do mention the issue to the manager if one is available.

Like some others have said..no need to worry unduly. If the cruise line adds the "hotel charge" to your account leave it on..and IF you want to you could tip any member of staff that has given you service over and above what is expected. Also the staff really appreciate you filling in the cards regarding service it helps their promotion prospects. On these ships the "hotel charge" is part of their wage structure.

Some ships sailing in Australian waters no longer add the "hotel charge" in that case the cruise fare has been adjusted to take that into account..you can still leave a tip in an envelope for any staff members if you want to.

I am very uncomfortable tipping. I never know what is seen as being appropriate or an insult. We prepay our gratuities but do add extra. We generally leave 5USD for our room steward every couple of nights. If a service charge has not been added to our bar bill I leave a dollar or 2 depending on the service. If we get room service breakfast I give 2USD.

I am not sure how much is appropriate for our MDR staff. If tips are pre-paid should we also put in a little extra? How much is enough not to be seen as an insult?

I am very uncomfortable tipping. I never know what is seen as being appropriate or an insult. We prepay our gratuities but do add extra. We generally leave 5USD for our room steward every couple of nights. If a service charge has not been added to our bar bill I leave a dollar or 2 depending on the service. If we get room service breakfast I give 2USD.

I am not sure how much is appropriate for our MDR staff. If tips are pre-paid should we also put in a little extra? How much is enough not to be seen as an insult?

It's really not necessary to add unless the crew member has gone above and beyond. On our last HAL cruise we left a bit extra for our cabin stewards because they did a great job - especially since they had to work around our somewhat erratic schedule. The extra for room service is nice since they're not usually part of the "pool" that gets the gratuities.

• 1 month later...

Whats the go for tipping on Rhapsody -

Is tipping automatic? added daily? at the end? or do I need to have it added to my account?

Can I just tip cash myself and have it removed from the account? I worry about this option because I have heard that you get bad service from stewards and waiters as they know who has and hasnt prepaid tips, therefore they think you wont pay and spit in your food.

Whats the go for tipping on Rhapsody -

Is tipping automatic? added daily? at the end? or do I need to have it added to my account?

Can I just tip cash myself and have it removed from the account? I worry about this option because I have heard that you get bad service from stewards and waiters as they know who has and hasnt prepaid tips, therefore they think you wont pay and spit in your food.

Last drinks this may answer your question regarding how much.. http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/

As for the service, I haven't heard anything about non-paying in advance customer's being treated any differently. You have the option to prepay, pay on the cruise on the last night with envelopes provided or don't pay. (4th option is slip the person cash as all tips are polled when paid the other ways and then spilt amongst staff).

Archived