Help with Disney Cruise Pricing

tmgbp

Hi All,

I have been away from cruising for a while. Last cruise was 10/02 on the Carnival Legend. In fact, all my previous cruises have been on Carnival. Now with two kids we are thinking Disney Cruise. We have two girls who at time we are thinking of taking this cruise will be 3 and 6. We are thinking between Feb and April of 2006. I was wondering if anyone could lend any pointers on trying to get a better price than booking online with Disney direct. I can't believe the price difference between Carnival and Disney. I know, I know, I am paying for Disney which I don't mind but after everything $10,000 for a week cruise is ridiculous. We are looking for Category 4 if you think that is big enough. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance as Cruise Critic has always been so good to me in the past.

I got my best prices (and I searched FOREVER) from Southwest. com. They have a travel center on their website, also cruisedirect.com will match any price out there. I have saved over 1000 from what Disney was asking by using these TA's. Good Luck and let me know how you make out!

• 4 weeks later...

The biggest price driver for Disney is the week you choose. Your kids are young enough that you can save a ton if you pick a week that school is in session. Then shop for the best price for that week.

Lou

Disney also still allows TAs to discount their products. Check around with several TAs; there are many that will offer you reduced pricing.

BUT, overall, DCL is a more expensive line (even in the off season) than any of the major lines. It's just supply and demand...only two ships and lots of people who love the Mouse. ;)

I have found that in pricing, Feb-April and the summer months are the most expensive for DCL. With the age of your children, I would recommend pricing either late January or May to get a better deal. Also, the fall can be a much less expensive time to cruise. Of course, the fall is hurricane season--we've cruised 4 times in the fall, and only had hurricane problems one time.

The other thing I would consider is whether you need a Cat 4. They are more expensive than other cabins, but the square footage isn't that much larger. try the disboards.com for lots more info and links to travel agents, etc.

Have fun--it is a great cruise line.

We booked our 2006 7-night Western cruise before we got off the ship on our 2005 cruise. Booking onboard was definitely a good deal - and we got $200 per stateroom credit for our trip in 2006. I wanted to add rooms and called Disney, who would not add rooms at the same price. I ended up using Cruise Value Center. They were able to match the price I got onboard, but without the $200 credit.

When you look at scheduling for 2006, February 11 is the sail date that prices start increasing. The most reasonable prices we found were the January sailing dates and the sailing for the first week of February.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Archived