Places to see and eat near Ritz Carlton Fort Lauderdale

Ravenscroft

Hi everyone. We're staying at the RC in FLL for a few days pre-cruise. I've not visited Fort Lauderdale in at least 20 years (where did those years go? :eek::D) so I'm pretty much a newbie.

I've tried using Google maps but I'm having problem figuring out distances etc so I thought I'd get some personalized advice here.

I'd like to get some nice restaurant recommendations for close by the hotel if possible. Walking distance ideal but we can grab a cab also. Or the water taxi if it is close?

Is there anything to see in the area? I read here that the hotel is not in the best location so would we best to get a cab to another part of town for good shopping/cafes/more sophisticated bars etc?

Also I'd really like to visit a mall, preferably something like Galleria.

Thanks for any help.

The hotel is in a great location, across the street from the beach. Fort Lauderdale is a lot nicer than it was 20 yrs ago. However, most of the bars and restaurants along the beach aren't very upscale and attract a wild crowd later at night. The nice restaurants are in the hotels (Ritz Carlton has Via Luna and the nicest bar in the area, W has Steak 954, Marriott Harbor Beach has 3030, The Atlantic has the new East End Brasserie). The best beach area restaurants outside of the hotels: H2O is a block away, Casablanca is 2 blocks away, and Coconuts is about 6 blocks away.

Galleria Mall is under 2 miles away and downtown Las Olas is about 2.5 miles away. They are accessible by and is accessible by water taxi, cab, or Suntrolley. There is an upscale bar at Galleria called Blue Martini and the bar at Truluck at Galleria is really nice too and has nice live jazz/easy listening music.

The hotel is in a great location, across the street from the beach. Fort Lauderdale is a lot nicer than it was 20 yrs ago. However, most of the bars and restaurants along the beach aren't very upscale and attract a wild crowd later at night. The nice restaurants are in the hotels (Ritz Carlton has Via Luna and the nicest bar in the area, W has Steak 954, Marriott Harbor Beach has 3030, The Atlantic has the new East End Brasserie). The best beach area restaurants outside of the hotels: H2O is a block away, Casablanca is 2 blocks away, and Coconuts is about 6 blocks away.

Galleria Mall is under 2 miles away and downtown Las Olas is about 2.5 miles away. They are accessible by and is accessible by water taxi, cab, or Suntrolley. There is an upscale bar at Galleria called Blue Martini and the bar at Truluck at Galleria is really nice too and has nice live jazz/easy listening music.

Thanks so much for your reply RoyalCruz, it's great to have insider local knowledge.

Yes, my days of wild bars are long gone, unfortunately, I'm slipping into middle aged and boring! My husband will probably enjoy the wild bars though. :D Truluck and Blue Martini both sound perfect for my tastes.

I just looked at the long range weather forecast and right now they are forecasting rain for a couple of the days that we are there, so sadly we may not see much of the beach. We leave Port Everglades on December 20th. I guess the weather forecast may be wrong and the sun may shine on us (fingers crossed!).

Thanks so much for your reply RoyalCruz, it's great to have insider local knowledge.

Yes, my days of wild bars are long gone, unfortunately, I'm slipping into middle aged and boring! My husband will probably enjoy the wild bars though. Truluck and Blue Martini both sound perfect for my tastes.

I just looked at the long range weather forecast and right now they are forecasting rain for a couple of the days that we are there, so sadly we may not see much of the beach. We leave Port Everglades on December 20th. I guess the weather forecast may be wrong and the sun may shine on us (fingers crossed!).

The rain comes and goes, and might be a mile away but not at the hotel, so don't worry too much. That's why it's good to be so close to Galleria Mall anyway. :D Coral Ridge Mall is only about 4 miles away and has TJMaxx, Homegoods, Marshalls, and Target.

Hi Ravenscroft

We recently stayed at the Ritz-Carlton after our recent TA on the Seabourn Quest and loved it! The RC is a great hotel and we were made very welcome by all the staff there.

We picked up a recommendation for dining at Grille 66 at Pier 66 (attached to the Hyatt hotel), from another CC lady, and it's right on the water and you can dine outside on the terrace which is lovely. It was very nice and go hungry if you try it as the portions are very generous! 10 mins by cab.

We were also recommended an Italian restaurant at the Galleria Mall by the hotel, but I can't remember the name of it - maybe royalcruz would know it?

We took the water taxi (it poured with rain but was gone as quickly as it came) and it was great fun seeing how the other half live and enjoy their yachts!;)

The Galleria Mall is a nice mall but not a huge choice of different stores but I managed to spend the DH's $$$ just the same! LOL!

Enjoy - wish I was back there regardless of the rain as I write this in front of the logfire, trying to keep warm in a very cold and stormy Scotland!:)

Hi Ravenscroft

We recently stayed at the Ritz-Carlton after our recent TA on the Seabourn Quest and loved it! The RC is a great hotel and we were made very welcome by all the staff there.

We picked up a recommendation for dining at Grille 66 at Pier 66 (attached to the Hyatt hotel), from another CC lady, and it's right on the water and you can dine outside on the terrace which is lovely. It was very nice and go hungry if you try it as the portions are very generous! 10 mins by cab.

We were also recommended an Italian restaurant at the Galleria Mall by the hotel, but I can't remember the name of it - maybe royalcruz would know it?

I don't know of any Italian restaurants at Galleria Mall other than S'barro pizza & buffet by the food court. The closest that I can think of are Franko & Vinnies a few blocks east and Il Mulino a few blocks west, but they are nothing special. There are a few Italian restaurants within a mile of there that are very recommendable: Cafe Vico and Casa D'angelo.

Thanks everyone. Lots of ideas here, I wish we were staying for longer.

Hopefully the rain will stay away long enough to enjoy some outdoor dining, it's the one thing that is such a treat for us on holidays, coming from a cool and damp climate!

fairbourne, I hope the clearing up operation is going well in Scotland. I'm in northern England and we got a little battering by that storm on Thursday, but from watching the news it was nowhere near the truly awful weather you had up there.

Hi Ravenscroft

Thankfully we escaped lightly - a few branches down and some trees down around the countryside but think the south and west of Scotland bore the brunt. Lots of snow on the hills but we've only got a dusting but it's cold, so thermals on today! LOL! Wishing you a lovely trip and raise a glass to us when you're enjoying your cruise in the sun :D

Thanks Royalcruz :) I knew you would come up with a name I would recognise! - Casa D'Angelo that was it! We didn't get there but the hotel recommended it highly.

Thanks Royalcruz :) I knew you would come up with a name I would recognise! - Casa D'Angelo that was it! We didn't get there but the hotel recommended it highly.

Casa D'angelo is really nice and very popular. I've seen it packed on a Tuesday night so reservations are important there. I'm glad to know that the Ritz Carlton didn't recommend S'barro in the mall!!!:D

Archived