Photoshop Elements 10-- instructional books/other ways to learn?

Turtles06

I have just been given a gift of Photoshop Elements 10 (I have wonderful friends :))

For those of you familiar with this software, I am looking for your advice on the best way(s) to learn how to use it. Are there any books or specific on-line tutorials you would recommend? (I am someone who learns by reading as well as by jumping in and using.)

I would like to avoid being really frustrated if that's possible.:p (My HP computer came with Corel Photo Draw, and I have never been able to figure it out. Layers, palettes, etc. All frustrating beyond belief.)

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Congratulations on getting Photoshop Elements 10! This is going to open up a whole new world of postprocessing for you.

There are TONS of places where you can learn Photoshop Elements. Although I personally have Photoshop, I learned how to use it by reading books by Scott Kelby. For Photoshop Elements 10, the book you'll want is The Photoshop Elements 10 Book for Digital Photographers (link to Amazon).

I really like his style of writing. He shows you how to do things step by step and he has TONS of screenshots. He actually has screenshots for each step that he describes how to do stuff. It's very light reading, some quirky humor, but very very informative. Unfortunately, it looks like this book has not yet been released, but is expected to be released on January 2, 2012.

You can probably go to your local bookstore and take a peek at the previous version of this book to see what I'm talking about in terms of his style of writing.

Thank you all for the suggestions!

I did not know about Adobe TV -- so I watched a bunch of the tutorials before I installed PSE, and took off from there. What a HUGE help! Thanks!!

I have just done my first edit: I edited in a blue sky where I had a white/blown out sky before. I showed the new image to my partner -- she says it's cheating. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Holidays, everyone!

I've been playing around in Elements 10, watching Adobe TV, and also reading "Photoshop Elements 10, The Missing Manual." I'm getting the hang of a number of things, and I have to say, not that I didn't already know this, but you sure can't trust the "reality" of any photos any longer. :)

Archived