I booked a GTY for the missus and myself.

great! I love getting a bargain and have the best times when it doesnt cost me the earth. Sure its great to have a balcony but by not having one you'll probably be up on deck alot earlier in the mornings to see the ship pull into port and wont be in the cabin so much so you might have even more fun ;)

As long as you will be happy if you end up the worst inside cabin, you got a great deal. How bad can ANY cruise be?

A GTY is not good for people who are not adventurous, or who want a prime cabin location. If you don't care where you end up - GTY's are fine. It costs me more to stay home for 7 days than what you are paying for your cruise.

ENJOY!

Thought I would take advantage of a great price on a cruise and see what happens. We booked a 7 day western caribbean cruise on the Sun for $369 with an inside cabin.

Congratulations !! :D

I find Inside cabins to work just fine for me and mine.:)

Well, I have been assigned a cabin, kind of funny. From what I have been able to find out about the cabin it is in a very quiet place. It's on the Oslo deck, accessible by stairs only, kind of funny, I never thought that I would get something like that. I guess I will be hobbling up and down the stairs with my cane. LOL

Well, I have been assigned a cabin, kind of funny. From what I have been able to find out about the cabin it is in a very quiet place. It's on the Oslo deck, accessible by stairs only, kind of funny, I never thought that I would get something like that. I guess I will be hobbling up and down the stairs with my cane. LOL

Did you get an oceanview or an inside?

Yes, it is pretty quiet except for when the anchor drops and raises each day. We had a cabin on the Oslo deck on the Sky. It is pretty convenient to areas but you are correct, no elevator access -- only stairs.

One time sailing solo on the Sun I was on the Oslo deck....loved it! Took a bit to find it but once I did I found it a very quiet location. There aren't too many cabins and it really feels like a private area within the ship.

As for the stairs, as I recall, there are really only a few - it's not like a whole stairwell of stairs, you'll see. You'll probably do very well.

I've done gtys many times and almost always have been moved up somewhat (within the category) and once or twice even out of category. You just have to have the mindset to be content with what you're assigned. How many threads here from folks who don't like what they got, want NCL to move them or even compensate them.:eek:

Hope Oslo works out perfectly for you! It's what - something like deck 6A - I didn't even hear any noise when pulling into ports. My cabin was down the hall a bit so very very few people even passed my door.

Did you get an oceanview or an inside?

Yes, it is pretty quiet except for when the anchor drops and raises each day. We had a cabin on the Oslo deck on the Sky. It is pretty convenient to areas but you are correct, no elevator access -- only stairs.

except when a ship is at anchor they rarely drop the anchor. Ships that dock at a dock don't drop anchors and most NCL ships rarely(not never just rarely) drop anchors. Even at GSC they tend just to have the ship at station keeping with the anchors up.

except when a ship is at anchor they rarely drop the anchor. Ships that dock at a dock don't drop anchors and most NCL ships rarely(not never just rarely) drop anchors. Even at GSC they tend just to have the ship at station keeping with the anchors up.

Something was dropped on each of the stops on our three days. If it wasn't the anchor coming out from the front side of the ship, what was it? You heard it when we left Miami, then again at GSC and at Nassau (arrival and departure at both ports). It was extremely loud. We were in 6003 on the Oslo deck. Others have reported the same thing.

Something was dropped on each of the stops on our three days. If it wasn't the anchor coming out from the front side of the ship, what was it? You heard it when we left Miami, then again at GSC and at Nassau (arrival and departure at both ports). It was extremely loud. We were in 6003 on the Oslo deck. Others have reported the same thing.

more than likely its the opening of the flying bridge so they can watch when they dock. Its or the opening of the water tight doors which you go in and out of on deck 4.- but its not the anchor.

When you get off the ship next time look and see if the anchor and the anchor chain are in place....and they probably are.

Likely the observation door. You can see it open in this picture above the "N". It could be opening and closing the anchor doors, but as stated they generally don't drop it.

NorwegianSunJuly2011BalticCapitalsPart1.jpg

Would it take at least a minute to open or close the door?

It really sounded like chains dropping or being raised. That's why I thought the anchor.

It's possible it was the anchor. The Epic dropped anchor in perfectly calm waters in Cozumel last summer.

1435-vi.jpg

Archived