HAL cancelled my cruise!!!

kas51

Hi all...Just to advise, I booked a cruise in July 2011 to sail on Ryndam around the Iberian coast. I have just been notified that the cruise is now 'Chartered'. Therefore my booking has been canceled, and anyone else's who booked this cruise. So much for booking early!!!

HAL are offering $100 OBC for those affected...WOW!!

I have planned my entire 5 week holiday around this cruise and am very disappointed...

Is this a first? or has anyone else had this happen to them?

:mad:

Is this the 20 day cruise departing Amsterdam July 22???? peter

IMO there is a big difference between cancelling to have more $$$$ by a charter then sinking, war, "Acts of God". In the cruisecontract I can only find the last type of reasons:

5. Change in Itinerary/Cancellation/Cabotage Laws: (a) Although we will use our best efforts to provide you with the Cruise, Cruisetour and/or Land Trips, situations may occur which require that changes be made. By way of example only, we may adjust itineraries and schedules, delay departures or arrivals, or cancel a Cruise, Cruisetour or Land Trip, due to casualty, weather, labor problems, the need to render assistance to others, governmental or insurer directives, passenger or employee injury or illness, schedule delays or changes by third parties, repair and maintenance requirements, fuel or other shortages, or damage to the Ship, other means of transportation, roads, tracks, bridges, docks, equipment or machinery.

My cruise isn't cancelled, but this threat prevents me from taking a cruise where I have to buy airplanetickets or hotelreservations due to HAL can cancel when and why they want and do not compensatie the extra costs.

The contract is written so that the cruise line has carte blanche to do pretty much whatever they feel like. "By way of example" would seem to be the verbiage in section 5 that gives them the latitude to cancel for reasons other than those listed.

My cruise isn't cancelled, but this threat prevents me from taking a cruise where I have to buy airplanetickets or hotelreservations due to HAL can cancel when and why they want and do not compensatie the extra costs.

You can choose to worry about this - or you can look at the reality that nearly 100 ships go out with an average of 2000 passengers every week or so without any such occurance.

Airlines and Hotel Chains can go out of business or cancel flights & rooms at a moment's notice too...

Some of us have cruised dozens of times and have never had such a thing occur - Others have had a few occurances - It's just one of the risks...

...and a good reason not to book airfares or place deposits on hotels until one has made final payment.

Some of us have cruised dozens of times and have never had such a thing occur - Others have had a few occurances - It's just one of the risks...

...and a good reason not to book airfares or place deposits on hotels until one has made final payment.

--------------------

If someone makes final payment early ( say now for a final payment due by March ) do you think they would be less likely to " get bumped" ? :confused:

I would have no problem doing this as my cruise has a lot of sold out categories...and a group onboard. If it would help to keep my cruise I will send them payment now. Just askin' ..thanks! :o

If someone makes final payment early ( say now for a final payment due by March ) do you think they would be less likely to " get bumped" ? :confused:

I would have no problem doing this as my cruise has a lot of sold out categories...and a group onboard. If it would help to keep my cruise I will send them payment now. Just askin' ..thanks! :o

They won't charter a cruise after final payment.

If someone makes final payment early ( say now for a final payment due by March ) do you think they would be less likely to " get bumped" ?

I would have no problem doing this as my cruise has a lot of sold out categories...and a group onboard. If it would help to keep my cruise I will send them payment now. Just askin' ..thanks!

I don't believe this would make a difference (paying in full in December for a March due date). Once the March due date is passed, you are more safe. Just because a handful of cruisers have made final payment does not mean that HAL wouldn't charter out the ship for a sailing... right?

Hi all...Just to advise, I booked a cruise in July 2011 to sail on Ryndam around the Iberian coast. I have just been notified that the cruise is now 'Chartered'. Therefore my booking has been canceled, and anyone else's who booked this cruise. So much for booking early!!!

HAL are offering $100 OBC for those affected...WOW!!

I have planned my entire 5 week holiday around this cruise and am very disappointed...

Is this a first? or has anyone else had this happen to them?

:mad:

It is the August 18 2012 cruise which has been chartered.

Peter

Archived