Disney or Potter in early Feb for 8 hrs?

Sandyshore

I need help deciding what to do when docked in Pt Canaveral on Feb 6, 2012. NCL is only in port from noon til 10pm. I've resigned myself to taking a ship's excursion to Orlando to avoid worrying about missing the ship. I would LOVE to visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, but after checking Universal's site, I learned it closes at 6pm that day. It's a Monday and I'm sure it's not peak season that early in the month. Is that just too short a time to bother going? Figure the bus won't get us there much before 1:30 -- at best it's 4-1/2 hrs in the park. Do you think lines will be short because it's off-peak?? It's a lot of money for under 5 hrs if I'm going to spend a good chunk of it standing in line. OTOH, if the park is not crowded, maybe I could see all the "good parts" in that time frame?

Epcot, however, is open til 9pm and Magic Kingdom til 8pm. I've been to both a number of years ago. In a perfect world I'd choose Potter in a heartbeat. Opinions?? Thanks :o

I'm guessing all aboard is 9:00pm, and I'm guessing the buses depart the parks by 7:00pm-ish.

I wouldn't pay that type of cash for what will be closer to four hours at HP--it's a full 20 minutes walk from the bus drop into the park entrance, then waiting to get through the turnstiles, and to HP itself.

My son's best friend works at HP, and they haven't had a slow day yet.

That is one of the slowest times at Universal so that should be plenty of time in the park. We live 90 minutes away and only go in February because the parks are so empty. Keep in mind it can be quite cool (anywhere from 40's to 60's) in Feb. Personally I would recommend Universal over Disney but that's a decision only you can make. If you are Harry Potter fans you'll really like the attraction.

I'm guessing all aboard is 9:00pm, and I'm guessing the buses depart the parks by 7:00pm-ish.

I wouldn't pay that type of cash for what will be closer to four hours at HP--it's a full 20 minutes walk from the bus drop into the park entrance, then waiting to get through the turnstiles, and to HP itself.

My son's best friend works at HP, and they haven't had a slow day yet.

That is one of the slowest times at Universal so that should be plenty of time in the park. We live 90 minutes away and only go in February because the parks are so empty. Keep in mind it can be quite cool (anywhere from 40's to 60's) in Feb. Personally I would recommend Universal over Disney but that's a decision only you can make. If you are Harry Potter fans you'll really like the attraction.

Thank you both for your input, but...oh dear...such opposite opinions about the crowds! :confused:

Past experience on NCL has been all-aboard time at 30 minutes prior to leaving, so that wouldn't be till 9:30. If we went to Disney, I would hope the bus wouldn't leave as early as 7pm! Guess I'll see what I can find out fr/the excursion desk. Since Universal closes at 6pm, bus departure time is not much of an issue.

Thanks for the reminder about the temps possibly being cool. And we are HUGE Potter fans...hence the strong lean in that direction.

We were in Orlando for 12 days this past January and spent almost the whole trip at Disneyworld. My husband and eldest son went to Universal and IOA one day, while my youngest and I were at Magic Kingdom. We met up with them at IOA in the afternoon, and it was not crowded at all (was able to go on all the Potter rides several times), and I agree with the PP that IOA definitely does not require a whole day when the park is not busy.

That being said, Universal used to offer half day discounted tickets, but I can no longer find them online, so if I had had to pay full price for the few short hours I was there I probably wouldn't have found it worth it.

Although I love Disneyworld, I think IOA is an amazing park and even though I'm not much of a Potter fan I was very impressed with it. I would maybe even suggest trying ebay for discounted tickets.

If you do end up choosing Disney, here's an alternative to buying tickets at the gate:

http://www.fhfoundation.com/Disney/165level/165level.htm

Either way I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself. Epcot is my favourite Disney park!

I went to Harry Potter world last summer and thought it was awesome, but not enough to fill an entire day.

Even tho this sounds like a negative, for me it's reassuring that I'll have enough time to see all of Potter in the time I'll have there.

My husband and eldest son went to Universal and IOA one day, while my youngest and I were at Magic Kingdom. We met up with them at IOA in the afternoon, and it was not crowded at all (was able to go on all the Potter rides several times), and I agree with the PP that IOA definitely does not require a whole day when the park is not busy.

Although I love Disneyworld, I think IOA is an amazing park and even though I'm not much of a Potter fan I was very impressed with it.

Thanks for helping me decide. I'm going to Potter, since I don't know when I'll have another opportunity to get there and I'm a huge fan! Really appreciate the input. :)

We love harry potter at universal. The longest ride will be the forbidden journey. If you wait in the line to ride it once you will get to see the entire castle which is so cool. If you want to ride it again you can just walk up to the front and say single rider and you will be on the ride very fast. This is what my husband and dd11 and i would do. I would go first and then my husband got our daughter on then he would go. Sometimes they would even get to ride together. I would wait at the end of the ride for her o get off. Doing this we would only wait a couple of minutes. You skip most of the castle. We did this several times. That is our favorite ride.

We love harry potter at universal. The longest ride will be the forbidden journey. If you wait in the line to ride it once you will get to see the entire castle which is so cool. If you want to ride it again you can just walk up to the front and say single rider and you will be on the ride very fast. This is what my husband and dd11 and i would do. I would go first and then my husband got our daughter on then he would go. Sometimes they would even get to ride together. I would wait at the end of the ride for her o get off. Doing this we would only wait a couple of minutes. You skip most of the castle. We did this several times. That is our favorite ride.

Great advice. I've only read a little about this ride. I'm not a fast-coaster fan and part of the description calls it "a thrilling adventure." Should I be worried??

Forbidden journey is a simulator ride. A lot like soarin at Disney. It will turn you forward and once tilt you back. It makes you seem like you are flying over hog warts. It's not like a roller coaster but a very smooth ride. I love it but can only handle riding it once without taking a break for a little bit.

Forbidden journey is a simulator ride. A lot like soarin at Disney. It will turn you forward and once tilt you back. It makes you seem like you are flying over hog warts. It's not like a roller coaster but a very smooth ride. I love it but can only handle riding it once without taking a break for a little bit.

Ohhh that's good. I can handle the simulators (I know I can just close my eyes if the movement becomes "too real"). Just what I wanted to hear.

Now the Dragon Challenge is another story! I'll let my DD (adult) enjoy that one on her own :eek:

We were at Universal on Nov 12, 15, & 16. It wasn't crowded. The longest we waited for the Harry Potter ride was 10 to 15 minutes. Now the thing that will take the longest is going into Ollivanders. The wait was about 35 to 40 minutes. It was shorter later in the day. The park also closed at 6:00 when we were there on 2 of the days. It was open until 7 on Saturday Nov 12. We found it was a great time to visit. We were there the week after schools in the Northeast had off. It was also the week before Thanksgiving week. We must have rode the Forbidden Journey 15 times. We really enjoyed it and we aren't Harry Potter fans. So if you are big fans you shouldn't miss it.

Sharon

Even tho this sounds like a negative, for me it's reassuring that I'll have enough time to see all of Potter in the time I'll have there.

Thanks for helping me decide. I'm going to Potter, since I don't know when I'll have another opportunity to get there and I'm a huge fan! Really appreciate the input. :)

You won't be disappointed!! I worked at Universal for years... it takes much less than 20 minutes to get from the bus drop off to the entrance to Islands Of Adventure- and in Feb, there will be NO lines when you get there (to get in, or for the attractions). You'll do HP world w/ no issues- don't miss the pumpkin juice and butter beer either :)

You'll still have time for the rest of the park too.

We were at Universal on Nov 12, 15, & 16. It wasn't crowded. The longest we waited for the Harry Potter ride was 10 to 15 minutes. Now the thing that will take the longest is going into Ollivanders. The wait was about 35 to 40 minutes. We must have rode the Forbidden Journey 15 times. We really enjoyed it and we aren't Harry Potter fans.

LOL - seriously, 15 times?? Love it :)

You won't be disappointed!! I worked at Universal for years... it takes much less than 20 minutes to get from the bus drop off to the entrance to Islands Of Adventure- and in Feb, there will be NO lines when you get there (to get in, or for the attractions). You'll do HP world w/ no issues- don't miss the pumpkin juice and butter beer either :)

You'll still have time for the rest of the park too.

I'm feeling better and better about deciding to go to Potter! Do you have any idea how the Ollivander wand show works? i.e. do they let a certain # of people in the shop, choose a kid and do the wand selection show, how long all that takes...and then they bring in the next group??

second the butterbeer! Make sure you get the frozen one from inside Hog's Head (plus the carts don't offer AAA discounts). I found the pumpkin juice O K, and the cauldron cake also overrated, but the butterbeer was D~LISH!!

Frozen butterbeer: got it! Thanks!

Archived