Another Maasdam Update

Su&Andy

Potentially Good News! The Captain reported this morning that weather conditions have allowed us to achieve better speed (17 knots) and we are now scheduled to dock in Norfolk at 2:00 PM. We will be leaving our staterooms by 1 PM so they may prepare for the next cruisers.

FYI, Deck 6 is the Lower Promenade with A/C problems.

I too, had been looking forward to HMC. However, the day we tendered, the sea was very rough and we had to maneuver the ship several times to find safe positions. We were bounced and tossed about in the tenders. The island was lovely, but I've seen prettier. We were very disappointed in the cool water temperatures. Although we had rented a clamshell and vented the back, it was still extremely hot and humid. BE SURE TO BRING A WATER BOTTLE WHEREVER YOU GO. My husband did some snorkeling, but all and all, we were not impressed. So, let go of fantasies at HMC and dream of the rest of your cruise that lays ahead.

If you enjoy beaches, focus on St Thomas. We saw Megan's Bay, Sapphire, and Coki Beaches. Sapphire is a great compromise if you want to snorkel and enjoy a beautiful tropical beach with shade available. It was also very uncrowded the day we were there. Megan's Bay was just gorgeous, but there is no where to snorkel. When shopping in St Thomas, we enjoyed the side alleys with the shops hidden amongst the cobblestones, bricks, and lush vegetation.

We wish that we had more time in San Juan. We continued to walk left after leaving the pier and followed the blue cobblestones meandering through old town. There were great water views, parks, and flowered covered wrought iron balconies adorning the pastel rainbow of buildings. Castle del Morro, the old fort, provided more spectacular views.

We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE our B Balcony on the Verandah deck and have spent much time at all hours capturing the sea breezes out there. We would rate the food in the Rotterdam a notch above Country Club, but below CIA's American Bounty five star restaurant. We have also found service to be very good and not overbearing. All the staff has been very friendly and fun You all are so lucky to be just beginning your cruise tomorrow. Later, off to lunch on the Lido, and to win the final Trivia contest!~ Su and Andy

I'm very glad to hear that the weather is allowing the ship to make 17 knots. That's EXCELLENT news for your arrival back in Norfolk.

As for which deck is deck 6 ... well ... on an S-class ship, like the Maasdam, the passenger decks are listed in the following order from top down:

Sports Deck

Lido Deck

Navigation Deck

Verandah Deck

Upper Promenade Deck

Promenade Deck

Lower Promenade Deck

Main Deck

A Deck

I'm not sure how one comes up with deck 6 = the Lower Promenade Deck. By my memory of how they number the decks on an S-class ship, the Lower Promenade Deck is deck 3. If one is in a cabin on the Lower Promenade Deck, one's cabin begins with "3." As in 3345 ... the J-category which is my favorite cabin on an s-class ship.

Su&Andy :

Thank you for the update and for keeping a balanced, optimistic view for the situation in which you currently are.

It sounds like the Maasdam may receive some TLC for her engines and, indeed, it should be something that can be taken care of from inside and not requiring a dry dock.

Your message this a.m. was helpful & appreciated. As a first-time cruiser, wondering about 4/10/05 departure has made me stressed! This 11-day cruise is a retirement gift from our daughter & son-in-law so we are all very apprehensive waiting for any news!

An experienced cruiser friend of mine in Florida says these things happen and should not be a source of worry. We'd sure appreciate any word out there of pending news... or info a novice cruiser should know. How early should we come? We don't have a room assignment yet. I understand these "upgrades" are done at check-in and I don't want to lose out on getting a nice one...

By now, I hope you have some definite information about your arrival time. Thanks for any help you can give, and I hope your voyage to Norfolk is a great one!

Our Captain has now changed ETA to 1:30 PM, if weather gods continue to cooperate. Kudos to HAL again for booking hotel rooms at the Hilton and Marriott for those who could not find alternative flights until Monday. And we just received our daily activities sheet full of improvised activities for tomorrow until 2 PM. This is truly a class act. All of you future Maasdam cruisers have much to look forward to, alas, soon we will have only our many fond memories. Will update again after 9 AM captain's report.

I'm very glad to hear that the weather is allowing the ship to make 17 knots. That's EXCELLENT news for your arrival back in Norfolk.

As for which deck is deck 6 ... well ... on an S-class ship, like the Maasdam, the passenger decks are listed in the following order from top down:

Sports Deck

Lido Deck

Navigation Deck

Verandah Deck

Upper Promenade Deck

Promenade Deck

Lower Promenade Deck

Main Deck

A Deck

I'm not sure how one comes up with deck 6 = the Lower Promenade Deck. By my memory of how they number the decks on an S-class ship, the Lower Promenade Deck is deck 3. If one is in a cabin on the Lower Promenade Deck, one's cabin begins with "3." As in 3345 ... the J-category which is my favorite cabin on an s-class ship.

On the Maasdam Deck 6 is the Lower Promenade. You do have your list in the correct order (i.e., on the Maasdam the Lido is on Deck 11, etc.) That's how the elevator buttons, Daily Programs, etc. list them.

I'm waiting for each of your "arrival updates"... 1:30 sounds wonderful - could it get better? I'm still packing, and I'm sure I'm doing what most 1st timers do... way too much stuff ! Enjoy your last few hours tonite and tomorrow. I appreciate your positive spin on this "engine" experience.

Cabins 300-423 are located on Maasdam Lower Promenade or Deck 6. Seas are rough tonight, don't know how that will affect speed. Be sure to pack lots of clothes for hot and humid weather! More in the morning.

Cabins 300-423 are located on Maasdam Lower Promenade or Deck 6. Seas are rough tonight, don't know how that will affect speed. Be sure to pack lots of clothes for hot and humid weather! More in the morning.

Hope you both had a restful night & safe return to Norlfolk.

Are you informing us that cabins 300-423 have no air conditioning? How are those rooms bearable? Does HAL do anything to provide comfort to these pax?

On the Maasdam Deck 6 is the Lower Promenade. You do have your list in the correct order (i.e., on the Maasdam the Lido is on Deck 11, etc.) That's how the elevator buttons, Daily Programs, etc. list them.

That's wild; I hadn't noticed it the previous times I was on the Maasdam. But, then, it's been a long time since then. I can figure out where deck 3 is, and Deck 2 would be engineering, but ... where's deck 1?? :)

This configuration is very strange. We are booked on the Navigation deck this summer and our room number begins with 0. According to the 2005 Europe brochure, A deck cabin numbers begin with 7, Main deck 6, LP 3, Veranda deck 1, and Navigation deck 0. I can't figure it out either, but not having seen the inside of the elevators yet......

GN

Well, according to our calculations you are probably somewhere off the Outer Banks of NC right now! Hope it is not too bumpy, it is definitely a beautiful although very windy morning! We will keep our eye on the Norfolk tower cam for your arrival! Have a great day and safe trip home!

This configuration is very strange. We are booked on the Navigation deck this summer and our room number begins with 0. According to the 2005 Europe brochure, A deck cabin numbers begin with 7, Main deck 6, LP 3, Veranda deck 1, and Navigation deck 0. I can't figure it out either, but not having seen the inside of the elevators yet......

GN

They put -0- in front of the Navigation Deck Suite numbers to make it a three digit number. The cabin numbers start at -1-....therefore, it turns into 001. They start the cabin numbering from the top deck with cabins having the lowest numbers.

Navigation Deck is the top deck having cabins and the one below it is Verandah (on all ships but Vistas and Prinsendam). The category "B" cabins on that deck are three digit numbers beginning with -1-.

ANYONE KNOW who is currently the CAPTAIN on Maasdam?

Don't have one. Wholesale only thru galleries, etc. If you come to OBX you can see my work at Greenleaf Gallery in Duck and Village Craftsmen in Ocracoke.

Thanks for asking!

Will they know you as the Beachjeweler?

We attended a very informative and upfront special Q&A session this morning with Captain Arjen Van der Loo. He ranked last night's experience as a 7 in comparison to his entire career of global sailing. He felt that the water walls were so intense last night, that he had to make a decision at 2 AM to call Seattle and sacrifice arrival time in Norfolk rather than jeopardize the safety of passengers and risk tearing off the bow.

When the bearing seized in the engine, it caused the piston rod to become scored. They had a spare bearing, but upon further observation of the rod, engineers and Seattle determined that firing up the engine, could cause an explosion by the rod disintegrating. The plan is for four technicians to board in Norfolk and use special “sand paper” to remove fissures. This process will take three 24 hour on board days. Next cruise will only have four engines until hopefully repaired. He also stated that two engines are required to simply operate the ship's support system.

We are currently traveling at 15 knots. Captain does not expect to depart Norfolk until between 10PM and Midnight. Bon voyage!

Wow I think you relayed that technical information pretty well ! . . . Thanks for the update. Van der Loo is a great captain!

We've sailed several times with Captain Van der Loo and absolutely agree he is great. Very friendly; really, really nice gentleman. We enjoyed him very much.

Thanks for the update.

Archived