Cruise "Sold Out", But We Need a Cabin! What Can We Do??

bride91501

I checkeed and all the cabins including the GV were only showing for 2pax

I think there was only 1/2 cabins or upgrades available on capacity

nothing showing now

What grade did you get?

Looks like they might be sailing with a GV and some suites not occupied.

Thanks everyone :) Yes, I am relieved....it was getting to the point where I wasn't even looking forward to the trip- and I LOVE to travel!

I'm the oldest of 5....first generation of immigrant parents and all of the wonderful and sometimes overwhelming cultural expectations that come with them :D They fully expect me to handle EVERYTHING, ALWAYS lol, and they always will. It's cool lol.

We got an OV cabin, category OB.

I BOOKED A CABIN!!!!

I can hardly believe it....after 2 days of no sleep, harassing all of you good people :D , all of the good folks at NCL and my TA, we finally booked an extra cabin! God is so good...

Thank you everyone for all the advice, kind words and yes, even the not so kind ones :) Sometimes you need a little bit of the latter to balance out the universe.

You guys rock! Thanks again! I'll be sure to post a review upon our return ;)

Great news! Thanks for the update! I'm sure those DoD's are going to taste sweet:D.

If you could not make a cruise at the VERY last minute, would you call to tell the cruise line, even though you are not going to get a penny back cause it's too late? Just curious... what you would all do if this happened to you. That of course opens up the room for the cruise to use , and get paid for again , but the part that would make me mad is I would get zero back to let them know before hand.

Hopefully you would have taken travel insurance which would cover that last minute cancellation. I never book a trip without it.

I was told by the TA that I booked the pearl with that if we only had 2 in the room they had to move us to a room that only had 2 beds, so that the accomodations for 3 would be avaliable for other people to book. She said that we couldnt keep the room for 3 people 'just in case' and if a 3rd person joined us later they would only be able to do so if a cabin for 3 was still avaliable. I think she was just saying that so that we wouldnt cancel.

So next time I book a cruise, I am going to choose the cabin number and select a room that can accomodate more people, just in case someone decides to join me

Booking a cabin that can hold more people "just in case" is not a good idea. There are many configurations of cabin -2, 3, 4 people to give the cruiser and the cruise line options for selling. However, the ship is only rated for X number of people. So there are actually more beds on the ship than it can fill. So, just because there is room in your cabin for one more, doesn't mean you can fill that spot. For example the ship might be able to hold two more people and there is one cabin available and the spot in your cabin. The cruise line really would not want to sell to you at the 3rd person rate because now they could only book a single person into that 2 person cabin. So it would be lost revenue for the ship. First taking a 3rd person rate booking versus the 1st and 2nd person rate in the available cabin, plus lost revenue by not having two bodies on board instead of one.

We actually ran into that today. We're considering adding a third person to one of our cabins for the 1/7/12 Jewel cruise. Right now we can, but the ship is very close to capacity so next week we may not be able too. One of the folks in our group is in a cabin by herself and a second person can't be added once that capacity number is reached. Capacity is dictated by seats in the lifeboats not number of beds.

I BOOKED A CABIN!!!!

I can hardly believe it....after 2 days of no sleep, harassing all of you good people :D , all of the good folks at NCL and my TA, we finally booked an extra cabin! God is so good...

Thank you everyone for all the advice, kind words and yes, even the not so kind ones :) Sometimes you need a little bit of the latter to balance out the universe.

You guys rock! Thanks again! I'll be sure to post a review upon our return ;)

I'm so glad that it worked out for you. Your dad is lucky that you stuck with it. One week before sailing I don't know if I would have had the patience.

Have a great trip! The Jewel is fantastic.

If anyone is interested in what full means....

cruise ships counts as being 100% full if there are enough people to fill every cabin with 2 people(called the lower 2) but that doesn't mean the ship is actually full full.

Full full is a complicated formula based on the number of lifeboat seats for passengers. There actually has to be enough seats for all passengers plus a margin of safety if some of the lifeboats can't be used. For ships that enter US ports the USCG issues a permit that shows what the maximum limit for passengers is-which will be posted in some public area of the ship. On most ships its 120% to a 130% of the lower two. This number and permit on most NCL ships is near the forward elevator on the same deck as the bridge.

The crew uses the inflatable rafts or the extra lifeboat seats if all the life boats are useable...

BTW most cruise ships average over 110% of the lower twos.

If anyone is interested in what full means....

cruise ships counts as being 100% full if there are enough people to fill every cabin with 2 people(called the lower 2) but that doesn't mean the ship is actually full full.

Full full is a complicated formula based on the number of lifeboat seats for passengers. There actually has to be enough seats for all passengers plus a margin of safety if some of the lifeboats can't be used. For ships that enter US ports the USCG issues a permit that shows what the maximum limit for passengers is-which will be posted in some public area of the ship. On most ships its 120% to a 130% of the lower two. This number and permit on most NCL ships is near the forward elevator on the same deck as the bridge.

The crew uses the inflatable rafts or the extra lifeboat seats if all the life boats are useable...

BTW most cruise ships average over 110% of the lower twos.

Interesting information, thanks.

^^I would say the most important thing to do is not to give up. Keep trying....and bug the mess out of EVERYONE! Your TA, NCL, all departments. And don't be afraid to ask your fellow CC members for help. I really did get so much direction from this thread.

In hindsight, although we got a much better rate and incentives going with an outside TA, when it comes to troubleshooting, IMO it's always better to deal with the cruiseline directly. I just felt like NCL worked harder to resolve my self-induced issue than my TA did. No offense to my TA (she was great), but in a time of crisis, NCL really came through.

Someone upthread told a story about calling NCL 8 different times about their issue and being told 8 different things. It was this post that prompted me to call NCL for a 10th time, and it was during this 10th call that they "found" me a cabin :D. Persistence really does pay off.

Keep us updated :)

Thanks again everyone!!!

Archived