Dawn Review, 4/18 - 4/25/04 (Long)

Tomct

General Statement: Great ship, great weather, great trip, very good to excellent food, very good entertainment, no excusions, mild seas.

Family group/background: My wife and I made our 3rd cruise, others being May/02 on the Star, and June/03 on the Dawn. We had 4 first time cruisers with us, my two daughters, and my two grandchildren, boy/7 & girl/5.

ACCOMMODATIONS: We had inside cabins, 10505 & 10507. Our cabin stewards, Virgilio and Tess, from the Phillepines, could not have been better, or nicer. Tess left on Sunday for a new ship, flying to Hong Kong. Our cabin and service was outstanding, rooms spotless, and they were very visiable, but never in our way. My daughter asked Virgilio if she could get chocolate milk somewhere for her daughter, as it was not on the room service menu, and he set her up with three cartons that night, and replaced them as needed. We're big UConn basketball fans, and found that both Tess and Virgilio knew all about the team including stars Emeka Okafor and Diana Taurasi. Needless to say we hit it off quickly. we learned basketball is big in the Phillepines, if not the players.

One note: Cabin 10505 had a pipeline to Spinnakers, and we could hear the drum beat late at night, occasionally picking up some music. We had often just come from there, and quite tired, so it never was a problem to us. There was no such sound in 10507.

FOOD: We really enjoy eating, and found the food ranged from very good to excellent. Our favorite restaurant was Le Bisto, twice, Cagney's, La Trattoria, and Venetion.

Le Bistro staff is top notch, the atmosphere outstanding, and the food excellent. Surf and Turf was perfect, and they even remove the lobster tails from the shell. The meat/seafood combo items are served in a uniqe style, and part of the "show", as they are dripped with cognac, tableside, and set on fire for that finishing touch. You may choose from a wide range of offerrings including beef, pork, chicken, veal, shrimp, scallops. French Onion Soup, and Cream of Forest Mushroom soup were our favorites, with the Mushroom outstanding, and served in a bread bowl. The chocolate fondue is a must!! Strawberries, pineapple, banana, and grapes. Yum!!

Cagneys's atmosphere was steakhouse, and the staff and food excellent. La Trattorria has a nice Italian restaurant atmosphere, despite the fact it is transformed each evening from one side of the Garden Cafe. We enjoyed all our waitstaff at each of these, and wrote comments about each on our questionnaire.

One comment on La Trattoria: On our two previous cruises, there did not seem to be much trouble getting a reservation, but this time we had to alter our plans twice, so plan ahead if you want to try it.

Others: Venetian has a grand atmosphere, good food and service. It's the only sit down breakfast facility, and a nice change of pace from the buffet. We ate mostly at the buffet, because it's quick if you need to be quick, the variety is good, and it has a kiddie area where the little ones can serve themselves from a limited menu, low serving area, and small tables and chairs. The Bimini Bar at lunchtime is a great place to get a quick burger, hot dog, or fried chicken with trimmings, and the fries are great. It's very accessible to the front deck of the ship. We did not eat at Blue Lagoon this trip, as it serves as a nic backup if other dinner plans fall through, but we did not need it. We sampled the pub's fish one night, and the batter was too thick, at least that night, as we've liked it more the other times. Our experience at Aqua was good, liked the all female staff, and for the 2nd cruise in a row, our only unsatisfactory meal was at Impressions. I'm sure it was the menu those particular nights, but I guess it's bad luck for us.

As for reservations, when we planned a full day in advance, we had no problems getting to eat where and when we wanted. It appears that at least Le Bistro, and maybe Cagney's, reserve so much time for them to serve your meals, and provide the top notch atmosphere, that when we checked, the only times available were usually very early, or around 9/9:30. Our plans were almost always based on what we were doing during the day, what shows we wanted to see, and what the kids were doing. We wanted them to experience the upper scale meals with us, and we were glad we did. Their behavior was outstanding and they enjoyed the experience. The seven year old commented while eating the fondue, that "this is the life". We were surprised to find that the kid's menu was available in all the restaurants we went to, including Cagney's and Le Bistro. There are no kids prices on the standard menu, but you can choose the standard children's menu if you desire. It appears that the childen's menu items are prepared in one location on the shship, maybe the Blue Lagoon kitchen, as each restaurant had to send out for the order.

ENTERTAINMENT: We went to most of the shows in Stardust, and really like the Jean Ryan productions. The magician and comedy jugggler were also great. Our only complaint would be the Jean Ryan shows were the same as last June, though most of the entertainers were different. The other bands, singers, and piano players are excellent, and Modal Magic was our favorite, singing tunes from the 60's to 80's for the most part. We are great fans of the Ironics, the previous such group on the Dawn and Star, and Modal Magic is also a Phillepine group of similar talent. Though we have enjoyed other entertainment in other years, our family activities did not allow much time for the game shows, or cruise director staff games this trip. We just enjoyed being with them, including several games of shuffleboard. No movies, some swimming, some hot tubs, some sunning, ladies had their nails done, missed the martini clinics (2), great chocolate buffet, etc.

Our biggest disappontment was the Talent Show on Saturday night, as only two contestants signed up. On our prior cruise, the talent was outstanding, some of them at the professional level.

PORT DAYS: Tuesday, rented a car from Hertz, and drove to Disney's Animal Kingdom. We walked off the ship, approached their van, hopped in and we were about 10 min to our car. Spent the day in AK, left the park at closing, and made it back to just make the last shuttle back to the ship, 6:28 pm. After that, you need to take a cab, but Hertz said the cabbies know when they close, and are lined up at that time. Wednesday we took the NCL shuttle to Miami Beach and to Bayside Market, where we enjoyed a great lunch & drinks at Bubba Gump's. Thursday was a great beach day for the private island, where thanks to sunblock we did not burn. I took the advice of some, and brought a few dog biscuits, and a can of cheese. Within a minute, we were surrounded with fish. Unfortunately it was always the same kinds, so we'd stop, let them go away, move, and try again, but the same few kinds would return. Though we did not snorkel, we did see quite a few sting rays around. Friday was a big tease, as the limited time makes you feel rushed. We took the water taxi over to Paradise Island, and unfortunately bought round trip tickets. We had to wait for them to load the boat, both ways. Most of my group took a taxi back to Nassau, to get in some shopping at the Straw Market. After we went to the beach by the Sheraton, they went back and I took a quick tour of the Atlantis, a short but worthwhile experience. Their taxi trip was also an experience, nearly getting into an accident when the driver was preoccupied watch a big drug dealer being transported from the local jail, I think for a trip out of the country. They also had to stop for gas. I surely wish they could make the Nassau stop a full day on all cruises.

KID'S KREW: Due to a busy week here at home, I do not have lots of input from my daughter, so most of my comments are from what I observed and over heard. Basically, it was a great experience for the kids and their mom. It also gave us some adult time, though the cruise was indeed built around the kids.

As has been discussed in many threads, the age groups used at least this week, and boldly stated in their brochures on board, were 2 - 5, 6 - 9, 10 - 12, and teens. We had 5 and 7 year olds, so they were split, but were around each other. They both enjoyed their activities, and the 7 year always wanted to go. My daughter would always take him there, and then go over the posted activities with the 5 yr. old, and let her decide if she wanted to stay or not. She opted out only once, though sometimes we had the kids with us, like for a special dinner, or the juggler show, and magic show. My daughter noted that the little ones always seemed to be busy with the counselors, and only the older kids were wandering around. She happens to be a career child development manager, so understands how difficult it is to please all the older ones, all the time. As for plunking them in front of a movie, our 7 yr. old was always knowledgeable and sometimes interested in which movies were being played. We think he only watched the Harry Potter movie one night. Her only complaint about the grouping was that no particular attention or focus was made to the 4/5 yr. olds, so everything they did also included the toddlers. Nonetheless, the kids always spoke about the fun they had, and never regretted going there.

A few misc. notes include a warning to be sure you have your insurance papers with you when you sign up, try dropping the kids off early because there are lines checking in if you go later, and the deck area around the pool can get slippery, so you must warn the kids, right, and/or maybe have them wear beach shoes.

For those that haven't checked the details, some of the afternoon activities require parents to attend, like the pizza making party, and I think it was the Olympics on the upper deck. I think their favorite night was the PJ party on Friday.

OTHER: My only complaint concerns the 20% discount available at Spinnakers. It's been a problem for me on both cruises. I wish they could automate the procedure, so the discount would be applied automatically. I hate to feel like a cheapskate, but normally either show my card or mention the card to the server. In most case it's applied, but not always. Then you either check or not check, and then you either ask them to fix it or not. I also don't like to buy my drink in a group while others are paying full price. I usually pay for the drinks there. One night I did not have my wallet with me, therefore no Latitudes card, and the bartender asked to see it. He gave me the discount, but then informed me to bring the card the next time, and he would place a blue sticker on it, which he did. I gave the card to a server, and guess what, no discount. My wife had a similar experience the next day, as she too did not have her card, and the bartender did not seem to trust her. They don't usually ask for the card, but if you don't have it, that's when they do. The automated approach is the solution.

As previously mentioned, Nassau should be a full day.

CLOSING: I was very fortunate to have had the opportunity to meet and speak with several ranking staff members on this cruise, and found them to be very approachable, and sincerely interested in their passengers. As an example, I met the Food & Beverage Manager at the Latitudes meeting, and crossed paths with him several times. Once was when he was making the rounds in Le Bistro, making sure everyone was pleased. He always called me by name, as I always marvel at that ability. Same goes for the Hotel Director, and others.

I hope this was not too long, but if anyone has any particular questions, feel free to ask. We can't wait to cruise again, as the Carribbean and Bermuda are our next preferences. Since we are so close to NYC, such options are great to have. We love the Dawn, and will not be reluctant to return. We're a bit concerned about leaving the compfortable surroundings of such a ship, but also look forward to a small more intimate setting if we make a Bermuda cruise on the Crown next summer.

FINALLY: It has been a pleasure meeting up with the few CC'ers that I have met in person, and look forward to continuing to chat with them throughout the year. Such exchanges allow me to extend the enjoyment over 52 weeks.

Bon Voyage for those of you about to cruise, we wish we were going with you!!

Tom/Connecticut

Enjoyed your review. I was wondering if the Dawn ever had a 50% off the cover charge at any of the specialty restaurants on the first day or any other day during the week? . I know on the Sun they did?

Also, thanks for the embarkation procedures.

Pat

Tom, I noticed that you are from CT. Did you take the CT shuttle from NCL or go to the pier on your own? We signed up for the shuttle from Htfd, and just wondered how it was.

Thanks

PS Great review....thanks for all of the details. I can hardly wait!

Hello Tom:

That was a great post. You covered all best of the Dawn. I can hardly wait until I sail her again in June.

Marilyn

NCL Sun 4/02 - Carnival Elation 6/02 - NCL Norway 8/02

NCL Dawn 6/03 - RCI Monarch 1/04

Tom,

I have been waiting for your review! Your posts are always so helpful and informative and this one is just that! Thanks for the info and I am glad to hear you and your family had a great vacation! We leave in 3.5 wks and can't wait!

Where does that band you mentioned play? Do they play every night?

Allyson icon_smile.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;05;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till our 10th annivesary cruise without the kids!

Review Addendum: I've posted a few replys regarding Embarkations/Disembarkation, but somehow forgot to include any such comments here. I'll do that now, and answer questions from above, as well.

EMBARKATION: We drove down from Connecticut, a great trip down the Merritt Parkway, to the Hendry Hudson, and to the Cruise Ship Terminal Exit, without delay, arriving at 11:00 AM, absolutely no traffic. I dropped my passengers off at the terminal, drove up the ramp to the garage, paid my $168 cash, and parked my car, but not before having to get out, open my side doors and tailgate, to allow security's dog to sniff around. I'm glad she did not like donuts! I took the escalator down, directly to the waiting area, and met the family, as the bags had already been checked in. This part of the process was not too enjoyable, as we milled around for about an hour and 15 minutes, trying to figure out the port authority's strategy for funnelling the traffic. As the crowd built up, and a free for all looked like it would break out, we opted to use the handicapped room option, since one of our group needed to sit there due to knee problems. This did get us in front of the pack, and I think there probably was a little bedlam once the line began to move. Once we cleared security, we flashed our latitudes card, and proceeded to the open attendants, were processed quickly, and among the first to board the ship. It was not later than 12:30 pm.

We took our 1st timers around the ship, and because there was a private party in Venetian, maybe a wedding, we went to Aqua for a great lunch.

After that it was time for the Coast Guard drill, and it was pretty funny with the wo kids, as they do not have kids life jackets in the rooms, so they brought the XXL's, and not until they had them on in our assembly area, the Stardust Theater, did we find they did not need to put them on, only the adults. In case of emergency, kids jackets are available for them at that time.

SAIL AWAY: Modal Magic provided the music poolside, for a terrific sail away celebration down the Hudson.

DISEMBARKATION: We were fortunate to have VIP tickets for the first group leaving the ship, which includes all those with travel plans made through NCL, followed by those travelling on NCL busses. We were told to assemble in Stardust at 9:15 am, one hour ahead of schedule, but upon arrival, found that there was a delay, and we did not actually leave for about 45 minutes. The line moved quickly, we exited the ship, moved our bags to the curb, I got the car, and were on the street at 10:30 AM. Traffic northbound was a breeze, though southbound on that day was a nightmare due to the Queens being in town.

Misc. additions:

Modal Magic played in Spinnakers for the most part, and also poolside.

The Latitudes Meeting was at 1:15 PM on Monday, in Spinnakers, where we met the ship's VIP's, and had some free drinks, though we did miss the appetizers. We went from there to the Choc Buffet, which conflicted with the Martini Clinic, and though I went to the CB to take pictures, only, I could not resist, and never did make it to the Martini Clinic.

I also forgot to mention how one night in Venetian, our waiter surprised us by cutting the kid's meat. A treat for mom.

I also failed to mention how windy it was on deck, the entire trip. From the cruise down the Hudson, and every day on board, it was much windier than either of our prior two cruises, including the open ocean down and back to Fanning Island in the South Pacific. The important thing was the seas were calm.

More questions? I'd be pleased to answer them.

Tom

Tom/Connecticut

I really didn't notice too many people dressed formally. On the first formal night, were ate early at Cagney's, and then went to the show, so didn't spend much time out and around the ship to observe. On the 2nd one, we ate late at La Trattoria, but did notice those in line for Venetian around 7:30 were dressed up, but really can't speak with much authoriy. It did seem like there were quite a few formal pictures in the display area, but still did not notice too much formal attire around the ship's public areas.

We're not the formal type, so quite oblivious to those who choose that option. Nice jeans or nice shorts are my idea of formality!!

Tom/Connecticut

DBIO530:

I did note we drove to the pier, but our main reasons were as follows:

1.) With 6 of, the $300 cost was more than the $168 (7 x $24).

2.) We like getting there early, looking around, having a nice lunch, etc. before attending the drilland sail away.

3.) We like the ability to disembark, jump in the car and be home in 90 minutes.

I'm comfortable driving in and out of the city, so that's not a factor with me. If we had left last Sunday, I certainly would not have enjoyed sitting in that traffic, however. It will be interesting to hear from the current cruisers when they return.

By the way, we got our pictures back today, so we're enjoying the cruise highlights all over again. I can't believe it's been a week since we spent the day at the private island. What a great beach day we had. Late in the day when the family had enough sun and the kids returned to play in the T-Rex area, I took the walk to the lighthouse and other side of the island. I'm not so sure it was worth the walk, at least at the end of the day, as most of the time the path is strictly shrubery along the way. There were a couple of nice picture spots looking back at the ship off in the distance, the lighthouse, and a picturesque spot at the end of the path. Since it was late, I was a bit rushed, and I think I was the last one out, as everyone else was going back. I met three NCL employees out there who had spent some time snorkeling. They didn't seem to be excited at their results.

In case anyone is interested, the path is located to the far left of the beach as you approach the shore from the tender. I thought that was the case, but was told by one of the staff working the raft rentals that it was at the other end of the beach. So when my group left, I walked with them to the tender, and then to the opposite end of the beach. It didn't look right, so I asked an NCL employee at that end, and she apologized for the wrong info I had received, and sent me on my way back.

Hope you have a great cruise!!

Tom/Connecticut

Hey Tom!

Great review. It really was fun meeting you and then seeing you again and again through out the week. All week long I kept remembering what you told me about the pictures in the stairways as to thier position on the ship. Flowers= front, Marilyn= middle, sunset = end. I never got lost! Well....almost never. We had a great time. Only dissapointment (minor) was not being able to eat at "Tratoria". But that was mostly poor planning on my part. I was usually too busy to pre-plan. My daughter ( 10 yrs old) loved the Kids Crew. I want to go again soon. Oh well, time to start thinking about the next one! Again, a great review Tom! Jan

Tom,

Any notes on embarkation when you got to the pier? What time did you get there? How long did it take you to get on board? Does your luggage arrive at night on the day you leave NYC?

This is our first cruise so we are unsure. We will be taking a cab from Penn Station.

Thanks. We are also taking the B&B Miami tour.

Thanks again. Jen, you can email me at jaw72670@yahoo.com

jaw72670: In my email, I didn't mention the luggage, but after we checked our cabins, we took our four first time cruisers on a quick tour, that included a stop at Spinnakers, where the lovely bartender (Angie?) wisted our arms until we agreed to some welcome aboard drinks. Following lunch, we returned to our rooms and the luggage had arrived, and was placed outside the door. The same thing happened last year, no problem getting our luggage.

Jan: Nice to hear from you. We have been talking for some time about a family group cruise to Bermuda, next summer, also from NYC, to celebrate our 40th anniversary. I'll let you know, maybe you could join us! We have discussed late June or mid July. My brother would also like us to go with him on the Dawn for one of the winter cruises to the Caribbean, and are giving some thought to Dec. 9th. Stay in touch!

By the way, you have made the cut in our picture album, the photo I took at GSC. I have found that reading the CruiseCritic allows me to continue to enjoy the cruise throughout the year. Also, turns out the "swimmer's ear" little Reagan had was the beginning of an ear infection. She seems to get them from time time, and her mom made that clear to the Dr., but he prescribed the ear drops instead of the prescription medicine she normally gets. Her physician never prescribes the drops, as they basically numb the ear, and mask the problem rather than cure it. Reagan felt fine until Tuesday, so a quick trip to the local MediQuick that evening got her the medication she needed, and she was fine on Thursday for her dancing recital dress rehearsal, with performances last night and today.

Tom/Connecticut

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the wonderful review of your cruise. Can't wait for mine! Who was your cruise director and what did you think of him?

Also, does LeBistro have the Surf and Turf dinner every night and would that be an option included in the Anniversary package? I am thinking of surprising my husband with this package and he is a big surf and turf fan.

One more question, are there many guests in their fifties on the ship? Thank you.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;7;18;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 

sasisu: Our cruise director was Ricky Matthews, and though he did not get rave reviews on this board, we found him pretty entertaining, and a ball of energy. Some have said he is too preprogrammed, but since they do that drill every week, I'm not so sure how spontaneous they can get in most of their appearances.

Having said that, Paul Baya joined our cruise in Miami, and is the current CD. I heard someone mention Ricky was heading to Alaska.

Surf and Turf is indeed on the Le Bistro menu, and it was really good. My adult daughter had it both nights we were there, and they even remove the meat from the shell. they have the same menu each night, so I can't see why you would not be able to get it. We spend close to 3 hours there, but never a dull moment. It wasn't their slowness, it was just a couple of rounds of drinks, appetizers, soup, main course, and of course the chocolate fondue, with after dinner drinks. Even our two young grandkids were not bored there, just a lot going on. The 2nd time we went, we were headed to a show, so did not take so much time, and were out in under two hours.

Though we were there during school vacation, with somewhere close to 1,000 kids on board, we still noticed a very mixed crowd. I would say the crowds in the theater and lounges looked like our other two cruises as far as age is concerned, though smaller in numberr, as many of the young adults were with their kids - for instance, my grandkids' mom spent most evenings back in the room after 10 PM, if not earlier.

Tom/Connecticut

Tom,

Thanks again for the info. What did you think of Paul Baya? It sounds like Dawn is a young family ship, but I guess there will be some other fifty year olds on board.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;7;18;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 

sasisu: We only saw Paul Baya "around" ths ship, and not sure if he ever took stage. since they only had two contestants in the Talent Show, one of the staff had told me just prior to showtime, that he was going to sing, but he did not.

As for the age group, I wouldn't label the ship a "family ship", though it is very attractive to Northeasterners during the summer, and several lengthy school vacation periods when you consider winter breaks, spring breaks, and een some schools have nearly a week off during a fall period. When we went least June 6th, it was far from a family atomosphere, with very few kids, and nearly full theater and lounge conditions, and lots of dancing in Spinnakers. I wouldn't be too concerned.

Tom/Connecticut

A little excited, maybe! We also went last June, and it was very hot. We went to Epcot, and were toasted, Miami was hot away from the water, but the Bahamas and on board the ship were great! Watch your feet aroud the pool, likw like walking on coals.

(Just looked on the Dawn's web cam, they are just pulling away from the pier, so another embarkation is down for you, a few more to go!!)

Tom/Connecticut

Epcot is great, but if you are going to go on such a limited time it would be well worth your while to do your "homework" ahead of time with one of the travel books that map out the best route to take through the park. The one that we had rated the interest level by age for each attraction, and that way you can choose which ones you don't want to miss. Another trick is if possible go through some of the really crowded ones, like Test Track, through the singles line. It saved us an hour.

Great experience though, if you have not been you will love it.

Archived