Dawn Review, 4/18 - 4/25/04 (Long)

Tomct

We're big Disney fans, with or without the kids. We chose Epcot last year, as my brother was with us, and had never been to Epcot, and we had not kids with us. It does not have the same excitement as the Magic Kingdom, but has some very interesting exhibits, in both eh Commercial area and the Country area.

As DBIO530 posted, homework is a good idea, as keeping an eye on the clock is important. As our last two CD's have warned us, if you are going to be late, make sure you have your camera out when you get there, you'll get some great pictures of the ship puuling away!

One important tip is you are sure you are going there, is to get your tickets in advance. I have never done that, but you can check at the Disney stores, and make sure you get an actual ticket, and not one that you must exchange at the ticket booth. That would defeat the purpose of getting them in advance. This year there was no line at the Animal Kingdom, but last year we lost a good half hour getting tickets at Epcot.

If you haven't been to Disney of late, they also have a FastPass that allows you to swipe your admission card at a few of the major attractions, and then return there at the designated time for entry in a short line, usually a few minutes up to maybe 10 for the norm. The problem with using them at Epcot is the vast area the park covers, and it is spread out in a large oval, so returning to the attraction of choice at the right time also takes some planning. Which reminds me, if you take the disney shuttle to the park, it drops you off at the Main Transportation Center, which can take you 20 - 30 minutes time to travel to Epcot, and the same going back. If you rent a car, you can drive directly to Epcot's lot.

Feel free to ask more questions, they'll get answered here.

Tom/Connecticut

Tom,

I noticed you rented a car through Hertz. Do you think doing so got you more time at the park? I mean do you think you were able to get there sooner taking your own rental car vs the NCL Bus? This has been my back and forth decision. We are booked on the bus right now but not sure if taking a car ourselves would save us some time. We really want to make the most of that day.

Thanks!

Allyson

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;05;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till our 10th annivesary cruise without the kids!

Oops I see your last post here just about answered my question, about saving time taking your own rental car. I will have to check into that. Was Hertz the best you found in your planning? Do they pick you up by shuttle at the pier?

Allyson

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;05;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

ally10169: I did not shop around too much, as I was only sure of a couole of locations. I was looking for a minivan for our party of 6, so took it when I found it. My AAA discount and the option for an additional driver often lean me towards Hertz.

We walked off the ship, and directly to the Hertz shuttle, and he left immediately, even though there was room for more people in the van. It was a quick ride to the office (10 min max), and within 5 minutes we were on the road. On the return, their office was open until 6:30 (later than we had anticipated), and we arrived back there at 6:28, as the van was leaving the lot. The driver returned, but said she was making one more run anyway, as they knew there were a few more Dawn passengers that had not come back. She took our paperwork into the office, and actually used the drop box option, and we were on the road in about 2 minutes.

They had told us not to worry if we missed their last run, as the cabbies know about the Dawn, and you usually do not even have to call them. We just didn't want the hassle, so aimed for 6:30. I never purchase gas in advance, but they suggested a half tank option, using area gas station prices, and I was glad we did, as we just made it as it was.

I had briefly looked into renting a van in Miami, but was not successful in finding a nearby location. Since returning home, I noticed that someone posted that they were renting a car from Alamo, I think, and it was 1.6 miles from the pier. I'm guessing it is in the Bayside shopping mall area, just over the bridge from the van. She said they also had a free shuttle. We took the excursion shuttle for $18 each, including the two kids, so I'm sure we could have done better with a rental, and would have been on our own schedule rather than wasting time waiting for the bus to fill up and leave for South Beach, then wait for it to load up for the return, exit at Bayside for our visit to Bubba Gump's, and then wait for the bus again to return to the ship.

Tom/Connecticut

Thanks so much Tom. I think we are going to go with the rental car route. With so little time in Epcot I hate to waste any of it and it sounds like by using the bus we just might. I checked the Hertz site and for location did you use the Cape Canaveral one? I am assuming that is the same as Port Canaveral or pretty close to it? I should just call them but if you recall if that is the one you used and could let me know I'd appreciate it!

Allyson icon_smile.gif

ally10169:

Hertz was located at 6211 N. Atlantic Ave, Cape Canaveral FL Phone (321) 783-7771. The hours quoted by AAA were 7:30 - 5:30, but on 4/20 they were open until 6:30. We passed at least one other "name" rental company on that road, maybe two, but can't recall who. I'm also not sure anymore, which ones ran shuttles.

The major problem with the bus is the add on waitng time. We took the bus last year, and we just missed the 1st bus, full, so we were the 1st to board the next bus. That means you wait for the bus to load up. I know they changed the return system since last year, and I think they use the same routine, as soon as they fill a bus, they leave. But they also build in extra time, as they encouraged us to be there about 30 - 45 minutes before departure time. The main thing is it puts you more in control.

[We happened to have a nightmare bus trip, no fault of NCL, and received full credit for the excursion, no questons asked. That's a story unto itself]

Tom/Connecticut

I hope it all works out for you, I'm sure it will. Just try to be among the first off the ship, and assuming it is the same as our cruise, we exited the ship and went straight thru a small tunnel. Everyone else was taking a left and heading toward the parking lot where the excursion busses were parked. NCL staff was steering everyone that way, but I asked about rental cars, and was directed straight out toward the road.

Let me know how it works out!

Tom/Connecticut

Archived