Do I apply for Visa for St. Petersburg stay?

megfla

We will be in St. Petersburg for three days/two nights in July 2012, would appreciate any experience/feedback on whether it is worth the expense of the Visa process or if we are better off sticking with the cruise excursions which do not require a Visa? Thanks.

St Petersburg it is not easy to do on your own and most visitors will take some kind of tour. But without a visa you would not be limited to the ship's tours, there are several highly recommended local tour operators. Just as the ship's tour they will take care of the visa problem for you. The only thing is that you will have to be accompanied at all time and can not walk off on your own.

To find out more about this you will find lots of information and recommendations on this subject if you go to the Ports of Call section here at CC, and then to Baltic Ports. Most CC members who have been to St P recommend you to take a local tour and not the ship's.

St Petersburg it is not easy to do on your own and most visitors will take some kind of tour. But without a visa you would not be limited to the ship's tours, there are several highly recommended local tour operators. Just as the ship's tour they will take care of the visa problem for you. The only thing is that you will have to be accompanied at all time and can not walk off on your own.

To find out more about this you will find lots of information and recommendations on this subject if you go to the Ports of Call section here at CC, and then to Baltic Ports. Most CC members who have been to St P recommend you to take a local tour and not the ship's.

Thanks, I will check into these.

megfla,

I STRONGLY suggest that you look into private tours in St Petersburg with one of main tour operators like Red October, Denrus or Alla. With them you can set your own agenda, have a private car with guide and driver so that you will never have to wait in line or deal with a bus full of others, plus it will cost you about the same as seeing the identical sites via ships tours. Also you will not need to get a visa as they provide one for you. There is so much to see and do in three days and this is the most informative and relaxing way to do that.

megfla,

I STRONGLY suggest that you look into private tours in St Petersburg with one of main tour operators like Red October, Denrus or Alla. With them you can set your own agenda, have a private car with guide and driver so that you will never have to wait in line or deal with a bus full of others, plus it will cost you about the same as seeing the identical sites via ships tours. Also you will not need to get a visa as they provide one for you. There is so much to see and do in three days and this is the most informative and relaxing way to do that.

Excellent, thank you.

We used a private tour company this summer and had a great time. There were 4 of us so it was less expensive than going with the ship excursions. We were able to customize what we saw and were able to see more things since we were a small group. Either the private tour company or the ship takes care of the visa issue when you book with them ahead of time, but that means you are only off of the ship with that company (which was fine with us). The only negative thing I would say about the private tour was the guide had a desire to walk fast and make it a shorter day. It wasn't until the 2nd day we made it clear we were not in a race. I looked through the destination posts to see what people thought about different tour companies and then checked their web sites.

Hi, just saw your question re St Petersburg, are you on the same cruise as us 16days ex Copenhagen 10th July on The Cloud? We were also wondering what to do re tours for our 3 days there.:confused:

Hi, just saw your question re St Petersburg, are you on the same cruise as us 16days ex Copenhagen 10th July on The Cloud? We were also wondering what to do re tours for our 3 days there.:confused:

Yes we are. With the feedback received from CC, booking an excursion outside the cruise line seems like a good option. I have reviewed the websites of a couple of the recommended companies and a two day excursion sounds good to me. Figure we could do two days in the city and use the third day on the ship to relax as I believe we go to Estonia the following day. This also would alleviate any stress of being on a non-Silversea sponsored excursion the day we depart S.P.

Some of these companies offer private tours rather than going with a larger group. Perhaps if some of us get together to form a group of six or eight it could make a private tour even that much more economical? Seems as though all the tour operators offer similar destinations but I suppose being on a private tour offers more flexibility.

There is no stress at all in being on a non SS excursion the last day. You will probably not sail until 6PM which means you have until 5PM to get back to the ship which can easily be accomplished. I say this because you will probably get a better rate for a three day tour than two days plus SS excursions. And you will need every minute of those three days to even make a small dent in what there is to see.

We did this trip back in 2000 and bought the Russian Visa in the US for about $70/p I think. It still came out cheaper and we would go and come as we wished with our Russian driver and separate English speaking guide for the four of us.

Since that time the private tour companies have caught on and are furnishing some sort of visa with their charge, which is what the ship is doing. With a foursome it is way more fun to have a private tour company with a van for the six of you and you get to eat at a real Russian restaurant with a limited number of people making service better. You can get in the Hermitage usually easier, at least we did through a side door. Don't know how she arranged that to avoid the crowd at the front. Travel to Tsarkosloe (spelling?) and see Catherine's palace etc. I wonder if they still have the so called dollar stores?

Don't know what happened to Intourist the official Russian tourist agency that was working back in 1977 when we went to Odessa and Yalta. All tours had to go through them at the time.

Make up a list of what you want to see and work it out with the tour company you get with. You will see much more on a private tour than on a 40 passenger bus.

We did this trip back in 2000 and bought the Russian Visa in the US for about $70/p I think. It still came out cheaper and we would go and come as we wished with our Russian driver and separate English speaking guide for the four of us.

Since that time the private tour companies have caught on and are furnishing some sort of visa with their charge, which is what the ship is doing. With a foursome it is way more fun to have a private tour company with a van for the six of you and you get to eat at a real Russian restaurant with a limited number of people making service better. You can get in the Hermitage usually easier, at least we did through a side door. Don't know how she arranged that to avoid the crowd at the front. Travel to Tsarkosloe (spelling?) and see Catherine's palace etc. I wonder if they still have the so called dollar stores?

Don't know what happened to Intourist the official Russian tourist agency that was working back in 1977 when we went to Odessa and Yalta. All tours had to go through them at the time.

Make up a list of what you want to see and work it out with the tour company you get with. You will see much more on a private tour than on a 40 passenger bus.

Very good, we'll have to try to hook up with another couple or two and coordinate something.

• 5 weeks later...
Very good, we'll have to try to hook up with another couple or two and coordinate something.
But by all means get individual Russian visas. The biggest regret of our visit in June 2011 was that we didn't get them. We used the ship's tours because despite constant trolling on this board for months before the cruise we couldn't find anyone to share private tours with, and the cost for the two of us would have been double the ship's tours. As you seem to have found another couple to share a private guide with that will work for you, and you will not need an individual visa for such tours.

But in addition you should still consider the ship's evening tours, if offered, to a concert at the Hermitage and an evening at the Ballet, which I am not sure can be duplicated by private guides. As well, the all day visit with a guide to the Hermitage Museum and warehouse with lunch is offered by the ship and may be doable with your private guide.

But we were unable to leave the ship on our own on a free afternoon, or go to dinner alone. It also would have been nice to leave the ship to get a closer look at the bridges opening in the middle of the night.

Mrs Banjo & I toured St Petersburg in 2010 and hired Anastasia Travel for our two day tour. They were fantastic, very professional and we NEVER waited in ANY lines. I would highly recommend them over the ships tours. You will see a lot more and have a better shore experience!

We were in St. Petersburg for 2 days last June. We were extremely pleased with the tour group that we chose.

TJ Travel: info@st-petersburg-tours.ru

<http://info@st-petersburg-tours.ru>

They took care of all our visa needs.

They limit their groups to 12 and their guides are superb! I highly recommend this group. Some from our ship used Red October and were also very pleased.

Have a great time. St. Petersburg was spectacular.

Yes we are. With the feedback received from CC, booking an excursion outside the cruise line seems like a good option. I have reviewed the websites of a couple of the recommended companies and a two day excursion sounds good to me. Figure we could do two days in the city and use the third day on the ship to relax as I believe we go to Estonia the following day. This also would alleviate any stress of being on a non-Silversea sponsored excursion the day we depart S.P.

Some of these companies offer private tours rather than going with a larger group. Perhaps if some of us get together to form a group of six or eight it could make a private tour even that much more economical? Seems as though all the tour operators offer similar destinations but I suppose being on a private tour offers more flexibility.

We are also on this cruise, and have been wondering how best to arrange trips in St Petersburg. We were originally told that we could not travel independent of the ships tours, and that a VISA would cost the earth - so we settled for probably not using private tours. However, if you are looking for people to make up a group that sounds a good idea? All the posts seem to recommend this. Any comment?

We are also on this cruise, and have been wondering how best to arrange trips in St Petersburg. We were originally told that we could not travel independent of the ships tours, and that a VISA would cost the earth - so we settled for probably not using private tours. However, if you are looking for people to make up a group that sounds a good idea? All the posts seem to recommend this. Any comment?

Texas Gal 55 looks to have the best bet

Alldee -

Unfortunately we had to make a change to our plans and canceled the SS cruise. We have re-scheduled our trip for a similar itinerary on Celebrity in June. I did make a decision on our St. Petersburg tour, we have booked with SPB tours, they have been very responsive to my questions and already organized us in a party of 8 so far.

Hope you have a great cruise, we will have to look forward to our first SS experience another time!

Alldee -

Unfortunately we had to make a change to our plans and canceled the SS cruise. We have re-scheduled our trip for a similar itinerary on Celebrity in June. I did make a decision on our St. Petersburg tour, we have booked with SPB tours, they have been very responsive to my questions and already organized us in a party of 8 so far.

Hope you have a great cruise, we will have to look forward to our first SS experience another time!

Megfla, thanks for letting me know - sorry you won't be on the cruise!

Have you made any decision about your St Petersburg tours in July from the Silver Cloud? We were hoping to join up with someone to take a private tour - would you be interested? Would anyone else be interested?

Have you made any decision about your St Petersburg tours in July from the Silver Cloud? We were hoping to join up with someone to take a private tour - would you be interested? Would anyone else be interested?

Aldee,

We just got off the Silver Cloud Jan 16. Great cruise. For St.Petersburg in 2000 we tavellled with our Blackpool friends and he made the arrangements, but we had to get our own Russian Visa at that time. We were on Celebrity at the time and we came out cheaper even after getting our own visas which were about $70/p at the time. We were there only over night, but we did three tours.

Silversea cruisers don't seem to frequent Cruise Critic as much as other ship's clientele do.

Of course if Silversea gives another $1000 ship board credit one can use that for paying tours.

Only thing is I think we get so much more in a group of 4 or 6 than on a bus with 16 -20 or more. Good luck in finding some fellow Silversea passengers to share a tour.

Hi Alldee, we are booked on The Cloud ex Copenhagen 10/7/12.I have not decided on anything yet. I am waiting to see what Silver Sea are offering in their tours which should be on their website 5th March. I have been in touch with Alla Tours and we are very interested in their 3 day tour US$420pp which includes visas. We are not going to get our own Russian Visa as they are AUD $200 each. Also Megfla has mentioned SPH tours a 2 day tour, will look at that one also. Which part of the UK are you from. We will be in Hazelmere, Surrey for 9 days prior to the cruise. Then we fly BA to Copenhagen on 1st July as we are doing the 7day cruise with Silver Whisper leaving 2 July. Where are you staying the night of the 9th July? I am still looking at accommodation for that night but thinking about Plaza Hotel. I will try and send you a test email through yahoo, if you could let me know if you receive it.:)

Hi Alldee, we are booked on The Cloud ex Copenhagen 10/7/12.I have not decided on anything yet. I am waiting to see what Silver Sea are offering in their tours which should be on their website 5th March. I have been in touch with Alla Tours and we are very interested in their 3 day tour US$420pp which includes visas. We are not going to get our own Russian Visa as they are AUD $200 each. Also Megfla has mentioned SPH tours a 2 day tour, will look at that one also. Which part of the UK are you from. We will be in Hazelmere, Surrey for 9 days prior to the cruise. Then we fly BA to Copenhagen on 1st July as we are doing the 7day cruise with Silver Whisper leaving 2 July. Where are you staying the night of the 9th July? I am still looking at accommodation for that night but thinking about Plaza Hotel. I will try and send you a test email through yahoo, if you could let me know if you receive it.:)

Hi weintime

Good to hear from you - we have just come back from Australia, and have many lovely memories. Lucky you doing the Whisper first - sounds like a lovely trip with the two combined. We are from the north of England, the Lake District - pity, we could have met up pre-cruise!

I think the general consensus is that private tours are better than ship's tours - except perhaps for the evening ones. I will look at the three day tour you are interested in - it sounds very reasonable. It sounds as if these groups are used to cruisers, and would be very likely to get us back to the ship on time!

We are staying at the Radison Blu for two nights pre-cruise - it was recommended to

us. I believe it is very central, and we have not been to Copenhagen before, so thought it would be nice to 'wander about' and perhaps get a Hop-on Hop-off bus.

Will look at the two companies you have mentioned.

Alldee

Weintime/Allldee -

Glad to see you may hook up for the excursion. In addition to the 2 day St. Petersburg tour, I have reserved SPB's Four Baltic Pearl which is giving us the 12 hour Berlin, 3 hour Tallin and 3 hour Helsinki tours. The total cost is $435 per person which seems very reasonable to me.

Weintime/ G. - I just thought to look, my cruise will be in Copenhagen on July 4th, I assume you leave on your first cruise on July 3rd? That would have been funny if we could have met after all!

Archived