Must do's and safety?

rolex_26_99

Hitting Belize for the second time and this time I plan to just stick around and explore outside the terminal.

Last time we were whisked away to our bus and had no time to look around.

What are the must see's outside the terminal? Mostly beer's and food:D

How is the safety?

Do they take USD?

We plan on hitting the Belikin Brewery tour, but after that my wife, 7 year old daughter and I plan to stroll over to Neries Restaurant for a traditional meal. Then wander a bit showing my daughter a place so different than our area.

Big K

Oh yeah, and also try to find a bottle of 10 year old Dom Omario Rum from Belize. This is the one bottle I am looking for on this cruise.

I just got back on Sunday from CCL Legend and had a fabulous time in Belize. This was the second time for me. First time did RCL trip to Lamanai. This time hired a private tour (Nacho and Cynthia) who hooked us up with a guide named Pedro Cruz. He was amazing. Very knowledgable. Educated. And pleasant to be around. We went to Altun Ha (Pedro is an archeologist). I learned so much more than I had on previous excursion. Then we went to the baboon sanctuary where we met Robert (whom I call the monkey whisperer) and actually fed WILD howler monkeys...and learned more about flora and fauna...very cool. I would recommend Nacho and Cynthia and they will set a tour to suit your interests and time constraints. Look them up on Google. We spent 100 each and it was worth every penny. Had an AC car for the two of us all day and a private guide. You cannot go worng with them. Beth

I just got back on Sunday from CCL Legend and had a fabulous time in Belize. This was the second time for me. First time did RCL trip to Lamanai. This time hired a private tour (Nacho and Cynthia) who hooked us up with a guide named Pedro Cruz. He was amazing. Very knowledgable. Educated. And pleasant to be around. We went to Altun Ha (Pedro is an archeologist). I learned so much more than I had on previous excursion. Then we went to the baboon sanctuary where we met Robert (whom I call the monkey whisperer) and actually fed WILD howler monkeys...and learned more about flora and fauna...very cool. I would recommend Nacho and Cynthia and they will set a tour to suit your interests and time constraints. Look them up on Google. We spent 100 each and it was worth every penny. Had an AC car for the two of us all day and a private guide. You cannot go worng with them. Beth

Beth - I'd love to get some more feedback from you on opinions of Lamanai as compared to your trip with Nacho and Cynthia's guide. My husband and I have done a land trip to Belize (2 wks) and loved it, so we're familiar with the country. We didn't go to Lamanai though. We're on Carnival which doesn't offer that excursion so we'd have to book independently. It's a long excursion and there's that time factor and the worry about getting back. We're in port I believe from 8 - 4. We'd be going to Lamanai with my parents (in their mid 60's, my kids - ages 10 and 12 and myself and husband). I would LOVE to visit those ruins, but I do have a minor concern with the risk factor.

The ship offers Altun Ha and River Wallace, but I just don't think Altun Ha can compare to Lamanai as far as ruins. We've been to quite a few others (Tikal, Tulum, Chichen Itza, Coba) so - I don't know that just going there to see the ruins would be worth a ship excursion.

But then I did stumble on Nacho and Cynthia's tour that combined the Baboon Sanctuary and wondered it that combo tour would be a good substitute. It sounds like you had a great guide at Altun Ha and great experience with the Howler Monkeys. I couldn't get a feel if you'd just see them in the trees - which you'd likely get to do at Lamanai anyway. Or get to interact with them.

So - with my group (older parents and younger kids) and the independent excursion factor all the way to Lamanai - do you think Nacho and Cynthia's tour can compare to Lamanai?

Thanks for any advice you might have! We leave on New Year's Eve...can't wait!

Beth - I'd love to get some more feedback from you on opinions of Lamanai as compared to your trip with Nacho and Cynthia's guide. My husband and I have done a land trip to Belize (2 wks) and loved it, so we're familiar with the country. We didn't go to Lamanai though. We're on Carnival which doesn't offer that excursion so we'd have to book independently. It's a long excursion and there's that time factor and the worry about getting back. We're in port I believe from 8 - 4. We'd be going to Lamanai with my parents (in their mid 60's, my kids - ages 10 and 12 and myself and husband). I would LOVE to visit those ruins, but I do have a minor concern with the risk factor.

The ship offers Altun Ha and River Wallace, but I just don't think Altun Ha can compare to Lamanai as far as ruins. We've been to quite a few others (Tikal, Tulum, Chichen Itza, Coba) so - I don't know that just going there to see the ruins would be worth a ship excursion.

But then I did stumble on Nacho and Cynthia's tour that combined the Baboon Sanctuary and wondered it that combo tour would be a good substitute. It sounds like you had a great guide at Altun Ha and great experience with the Howler Monkeys. I couldn't get a feel if you'd just see them in the trees - which you'd likely get to do at Lamanai anyway. Or get to interact with them.

So - with my group (older parents and younger kids) and the independent excursion factor all the way to Lamanai - do you think Nacho and Cynthia's tour can compare to Lamanai?

Lamanai was bigger but more of a jungle trek to get to ruins which might be tougher for your folks. Altun Ha with a true archeologist was great and I guarantee your kids would be entertained. We picked up pieces of anciet pottery (bits and pieces) and chards which were used as tools or weapons. At the Baboon Sanctuary Robert literally called the monkeys from the trees and we fed them bananas out of our hands. You could touch them, but they are wild and you do not "interact" with them like in Roatan at the monkey place where they literally crawl all over you and are more used ot people. Nacho and Cynthia took another group the day I was there on a city tour. They gave us a tour guide named Pedro Cruz who I cannot say enough great things about. Nacho himself met us at the port and introduced to him. Nacho is probably in his 60's like your parents and uses a cane to walk, so I am sure he would not get your parents into something over your head. In my opinion, you cannot go wron with Nacho. Email him on his website and expect a phone call soon. His service is very personal and he will take you where you want to go and more importantly, get you back in time! Have a great trip! Beth

Hitting Belize for the second time and this time I plan to just stick around and explore outside the terminal.

Last time we were whisked away to our bus and had no time to look around.

What are the must see's outside the terminal? Mostly beer's and food:D

How is the safety?

Do they take USD?

If you want a tour of Belize to see the country, I'd second contacting Nacho and Cynthia.

If you want to just walk around Belize City, in addition to NerieII, as rec'd by askimdog (it's located on Queen Street and Daly walk left out of T.V. to swing bridge then right--you'll be on Queen-- to Daly), you might take a gander at the local products in the small flea market across from the T.V., prices are lower than the T.V. and they do take US currency. If you want to walk around more, then go left over the swing bridge and down Regents to St John's church, stopping at Brodie's department store on the way--it's not Macys. Across from St John is the Cultural Musuem housed in the old colonial Governors mansion. Lots of pieces from the colonial/British rule days. You can see the grounds from your tender as you approach the tender docks (cannons and Yacht in the yard). There's also the lighthouse which you can walk by along Parade/Promenade Street (to your right out of the TV). Main safety issue is how you handle the rathe raggressive excursion and horse carriage ride hawkers right outside the T.V.. Beyond that, so long as you stick to Fort and Regents streets, you shouldn't have any problems, but always be cognizant of your surrounding, just like walking in your home town.

Enjoy enjoy - CCL does offer a Xanantunich excursion, also all day, lunch inc., and no worry about not getting back to the ship on time. Xanantunich is a lot larger than Altun Ha, and may be as old as Laminai. Enjoy!

Archived