Favorite/ Not Favorite Caribbean Island(s) That Carnival Serves

NHNEV2003

Tough question because for Caribbean cruises, we've now done western twice, southern three times (first cruise in 1992 had a was a bit different than the current itinerary Carnival does out of San Juan), and eastern once. We have favorites, but too many. I really can't say we've had a least favorite as we've enjoyed all that we've been to.

With having to pick favorites, I'll have to say our favorite itinerary is, hands down, the southern itinerary out of San Juan (St. Thomas; Barbados; St. Lucia; St. Kitts; St. Maarten/St. Martin). Our reasoning is that, at least to us, it is the most scenic Caribbean itinerary that Carnival offers. All of the islands are just so mountainous and scenic, and there are beautiful views sailing in and sailing back out. Barbados is not as mountainous as the others and the actual port is industrial, BUT the beaches are gorgeous. We've found there is something to do, on all of those islands, for every interest...city/historical tours, active tours, beach/snorkeling, etc. I'd love to do another southern out of San Juan and even though we've done it twice fairly recently (2013, 2015), there is still so much we haven't done it would be like a whole new experience. Of course, we do have some that are favorites and would not mind repeating. Out of the islands on that itinerary, we love them all the same and don't really have a favorite.

Favorite:

San Juan (love Old San Juan, such a feeling of history there), Tortola (quaint little town) ,St. Thomas/St. John (love the view from Mountain Top in Charlotte Amalie and Cruz Bay on St. John is nice.), St. Kitts (lovely mountainous island), Half Moon Cay (everything about it)

Least Favorite (by far):

Grand Turk (touristy area too crowded and not much there unless you're the sip alcohol, lounge by the pool, and watch your skin turn red type, which I'm not. The rest of the island isn't much to look at except for a decent beach or two. It's pretty trashy and littered inland). This island seems to be popular for some reason and that's fine with me. I just don't understand its popularity.

My cruise island experience is below. My favs are St. Thomas (Coki beach is a great 2fer with Coral World Park; St. Lucia (my fav of all of them- the rain forest is amazing!); St. Maarten (the vibe is so chill. I can see me going again and again).

I also really love Ocho Rios, I've been there many many times (but not on a cruise). Dunns River Falls and Glistening Waters are great attractions. I do agree that the vendors are a bit agressive compared to other islands.

Least favorite: Grand Turk- too commercial from what I've seen, although the walk to Jacks Shack was nice. The food was yummy, but not authentic Caribbean.

Need a re-do: St. Kitts. I was sick as a dog and barely walked down town. I was so upset because I'm such a foodie and they had a carnival so all the locals were in the streets. The birthday shots I took the night before messed me up.

Kathy,

The catamaran sail & snorkel in Tortola...do you recall if that was a bumpy ride or not? We're going to be there in May & I'm trying to plan our day. Thanks for any help. :)

The Baths of Virgin Gorda. We love Tortola, but mostly because it's the easiest way to get the the Baths. This is spectacular. We've done it twice and would do it again in a skinny minute.