McKinley Express and Denali Express

Twice-a-year

The cars are dome cars, with seating above, and restaurant below. The seats are two facing forward and two facing the rear, separated by a table. The seats are assigned. There is cocktail/beverage service available upstairs, as well as very good food downstairs. A fun way to travel between the Princess Lodges.:)

The Alaska Railroad operates the single passenger train (one trip northbound and one trip southbound) each day during the landcruise season. If you are part of a landcruise, you will most likely ride in a double-decker sightseeing car with lots of windows and an open platform. The train will include cars from the Alaska Railroad and all the cruise lines who host the landcruisers. You will see cars from Holland-American, Princess and, I believe, RCI. Train may exceed 20 or more cars. It is one of the longest passenger trains in North America.

A lot of wrong information posted in this thread.

Princess uses the term Denali Express and KcKinley Express to refer to their direct rail service between Whittier and the Princess stop near Talkeetna and the Denali train station respectively. The trains leave Whittier early in the am. AFAIK the trains don't have any cars for other cruise lines or for the Alaska RR.

The McKinley Express uses single level dome cars. You eat at the same table where you sit.

Which is better? The only way you'll be riding either train is if you book a Princess cruisetour. I'd pick the tour with fewer nights in the Princess McKinley lodge. One night is enough.

Princess uses the term Denali Express and KcKinley Express to refer to their direct rail service between Whittier and the Princess stop near Talkeetna and the Denali train station respectively. The trains leave Whittier early in the am. AFAIK the trains don't have any cars for other cruise lines or for the Alaska RR.

The McKinley Express uses single level dome cars. You eat at the same table where you sit.

Which is better? The only way you'll be riding either train is if you book a Princess cruisetour. I'd pick the tour with fewer nights in the Princess McKinley lodge. One night is enough.

Thank you very much

I also was wondering about the "description", which has now been made clear.

So another point I will make is the time involved, that catches a lot of people off giuard. Whittler/Denali is a 10 hour ride, with the significant scenery the two hours between Anchorage/Whittier. Whittier/Talkeetna is about 5 1/2 hours. So, think carefully, factoring in this extensive transit time. You do not have that day for a lot of "touring".

I also was wondering about the "description", which has now been made clear.

So another point I will make is the time involved, that catches a lot of people off giuard. Whittler/Denali is a 10 hour ride, with the significant scenery the two hours between Anchorage/Whittier. Whittier/Talkeetna is about 5 1/2 hours. So, think carefully, factoring in this extensive transit time. You do not have that day for a lot of "touring".

The "Direct to the Wilderness" appeals to people looking for a cruisetour experience, who don't have a lot of days available for a land tour and who want a land tour which concentrates on Denali and the Princess McKinley Lodge areas.

The "McKinley Express" leaves Whittier at 7:15a and arrives at the drop off location near Talkeetna before 1p. More then enough time for flightseeing and to tour the town.

Denali Express leaves around 8:15a. You'll get to Denali in time for dinner.

• 2 months later...

Archived